Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 5:13 AM

Thanks for the link. That's a bummer about having to meet with your co-workers. My job is very anti-gun. Bummer.

Last edited by lrcasey; 08-16-2011 at 6:29 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
At some point during your application process, a background investigator will contact a sampling of your neighbors, family and co-workers to determine your suitability to carry a concealed weapon. We will advise the people we contact of the reason for the contact, and ask them if they would recommend you be issued a CCW permit.

. . .

Those individuals who have lived an upstanding life in every respect and enjoy a well-earned reputation among their neighbors, co-workers and friends should have little problem successfully getting through our process.
I think that the sheriff will have difficulty ensuring that a negative response from one of your neighbors/coworkers/other is in fact based upon their opinion of you getting a LTC vs their opinion of anyone getting a LTC. IOW, all it takes is for the sheriff's department to, by chance, interview 1 person who knows you and is an anti and that anti stops you from being able to defend your life!

Quote:
While this may seem intrusive to some, I believe that with an expanded definition of “good cause” (that applies to virtually every lawful resident of the County) comes a higher level of due diligence on our part to ensure we are not issuing CCW permits to individuals who shouldn’t have one.
Hmm. So some people who can legally carry a loaded firearm in their home "shouldn't" be allowed to legally carry a loaded handgun in public? I guess the sheriff actually believes that if they wanted to go nuts and kill a bunch of people, that fact that they don't have a LTC would somehow stop them. You would think a sheriff would have been in LE long enough to realize that laws are used to punish people after the fact, that they can't prevent criminal acts if people want to carry them out.
Old 08-20-2011, 6:36 PM

I guess we will just have to see how it plays out with the first few licenses issued and any problems that they run into.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

San Benito and Fresno counties -- both neighbors of Monterey Co. -- switched to accepting self-defense as Good Cause a couple of years ago and have not had any problems that I've heard about.

Anyone know if that (along w/41 Shall Issue states) influenced the Monterey Co sheriff in liberalizing issuance?
Old 09-23-2011, 9:37 PM

So are we GTG to apply? I'm moving to Monterey in 3 months.
Old 09-23-2011, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, You can apply.
What is asked, is that you can report back as to your experience with the application process.
Please contact Wildhawker, or goober..
Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

news coming soon.
information is being gathered on the nature of the application/interview/evaluation process.
as expected, it appears to go far beyond what is allowed under PC12051 and is significantly invasive and onerous.
that being said, we have yet to see whether the new policy will result in actual LTCs being issued. but the issuance rate couldn't be much worse than it was under the previous policy.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 09-30-2011, 5:18 PM

I've been out of the loop for about 6 months, the thread was a heck of a good read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
news coming soon.
information is being gathered on the nature of the application/interview/evaluation process.
as expected, it appears to go far beyond what is allowed under PC12051 and is significantly invasive and onerous.
that being said, we have yet to see whether the new policy will result in actual LTCs being issued. but the issuance rate couldn't be much worse than it was under the previous policy.
Thanks for the update goober. Information is welcome, good or bad. This turn definitely rains on my parade.

"So, you give weapons to children?"
"No Ma'am. I provide safety and marksmanship instruction and a basic shooting experience for youth in a controlled range environment"
"Oh... I thought you just gave them guns"

OMGWTFn00b!? --> The Calguns ACRONYM Thread! <--
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Have you applied for an LTC in Monterey County?

As discussed previously in this thread, MCSO finally began accepting LTC applications a couple months ago, under their newly unveiled "shall issue" policy.

The new policy is apparently what most would consider shall-issue with respect to the good cause (GC) requirement, but far from it when it comes to establishing good moral character (GMC). Personal defense is (supposedly) being accepted as GC. But the GMC evaluation involves a series of invasive and intrusive interviews (both for the applicant and their employer/coworkers/neighbors), home visits, voice stress analyses, psychological evaluations, and the like, most of which go far beyond what is allowable under PC 12050-12054. They are basically subjecting LTC applicants to the same process and scrutiny that prospective MCSO sheriff's deputy applicants must undergo. But if you've read this thread you know all this already.

Now that the policy has been in effect for some time, we need to begin compiling information regarding peoples' experiences with the application process.
By collecting these data we can better understand how the new MCSO policy really performs in practice vs. theory.

So, if you have applied, please PM me and share as much as you are willing regarding your experience. If you've received your LTC, we need to know. If you were denied, it will help to know that too. And any observations regarding the actual experience itself are invaluable. How were you treated? Was it casual, relaxed, and pleasant, stressful and scary, or somewhere in between? How long did each step, and the total process, take?

And if you have not applied (due to the cost, invasive nature of the GMC tests, or any other reason), but wish you could, please communicate that as well.

Anything you share will be held in strict confidence. It is not necessary to reveal any personal information regarding identity or anything else.

Thank you all for your help with this project.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Old 10-16-2011, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sunday morning bump for the weekend folks.
Old 10-16-2011, 6:59 PM

I'm moving to Monterey for 2 years to attend Naval Postgraduate School. Any chance of me being able to get a LTC while there? My current duty station is San Diego, and I'll likely be coming back here afterward.
Old 10-20-2011, 2:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
I'm moving to Monterey for 2 years to attend Naval Postgraduate School. Any chance of me being able to get a LTC while there? My current duty station is San Diego, and I'll likely be coming back here afterward.
Jury is still out on the new issuance rate and how the overly strict GMC evaluation is playing out, but it sounds as if you'd be a great test case, if nothing else
Stay tuned as we gather more data on grantings & denials now that applications are being accepted.
Old 10-21-2011, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Feels weird to quote myself, but...

Quote:
As discussed previously in this thread, MCSO finally began accepting LTC applications a couple months ago, under their newly unveiled "shall issue" policy.

The new policy is apparently what most would consider shall-issue with respect to the good cause (GC) requirement, but far from it when it comes to establishing good moral character (GMC). Personal defense is (supposedly) being accepted as GC. But the GMC evaluation involves a series of invasive and intrusive interviews (both for the applicant and their employer/coworkers/neighbors), home visits, voice stress analyses, psychological evaluations, and the like, most of which go far beyond what is allowable under PC 12050-12054. They are basically subjecting LTC applicants to the same process and scrutiny that prospective MCSO sheriff's deputy applicants must undergo. But if you've read this thread you know all this already.

Now that the policy has been in effect for some time, we need to begin compiling information regarding peoples' experiences with the application process.
By collecting these data we can better understand how the new MCSO policy really performs in practice vs. theory.

So, if you have applied, please PM me and share as much as you are willing regarding your experience. If you've received your LTC, we need to know. If you were denied, it will help to know that too. And any observations regarding the actual experience itself are invaluable. How were you treated? Was it casual, relaxed, and pleasant, stressful and scary, or somewhere in between? How long did each step, and the total process, take?

And if you have not applied (due to the cost, invasive nature of the GMC tests, or any other reason), but wish you could, please communicate that as well.

Anything you share will be held in strict confidence. It is not necessary to reveal any personal information regarding identity or anything else.

I've received a few reports from folks that have applied (or want to, but haven't) regarding their experience with the process. Thanks to all that have responded.
Keep 'em comin'!
Old 10-21-2011, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thank You.
Chief

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 10-28-2011, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Jury is still out on the new issuance rate and how the overly strict GMC evaluation is playing out, but it sounds as if you'd be a great test case, if nothing else
Stay tuned as we gather more data on grantings & denials now that applications are being accepted.
I have plenty of paperwork (17 years worth) to back GMC and my bro-in-law is a Sherriff's Deputy here in San Diego. So, I don't think GMC will be an issue. If personal defense is enough for GC, then it's looks like I should be good to go. I'm excited.

I move up there in January and will begin the process as soon as I can. I'll be up there in December to find a place to live, so maybe I'll stop by the Sherriff's Department (in Salinas?) to start the process.
Old 10-28-2011, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have plenty of paperwork (17 years worth) to back GMC and my bro-in-law is a Sherriff's Deputy here in San Diego. So, I don't think GMC will be an issue. If personal defense is enough for GC, then it's looks like I should be good to go. I'm excited.

I move up there in January and will begin the process as soon as I can. I'll be up there in December to find a place to live, so maybe I'll stop by the Sherriff's Department (in Salinas?) to start the process.
Sounds good, you can check out the MCSO policy information and application info here.

By the time your ready to apply, the LTC Ambassador program should be well underway, so there will be plenty of info and help available should you need it.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM

I suppose my only concern is them talking to my neighbors. I'm fine if they talk to my neighbors down here in San Diego. But none of my neighbors will know me in Monterey. Hopefully that won't be an issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

^ Bumpity.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bump for updates from any applicants willing to share their experience. PM me with any info please.
Old 12-20-2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Bump for updates from any applicants willing to share their experience. PM me with any info please.
I found a place to live (in Monterey) last week and will be moving there on the 1st. I plan to swing by the Sheriff's Office on the 2nd.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM

I plan on applying... but just unsure yet. Partly because I may be going overseas sooner or later so it might not be worth it. When I was stationed in the good ole state of North Carolina I had a CCW, and I totally miss exercising my right to carry!!! Monterey county has been my main home of residence for over 10 years now but if I have to leave for work I might miss any interviews that would be required.

I don't know how the whole talking to your neighbors thing would work with me. I honestly don't even know who my neighbors are and they don't know me either.
Old 01-08-2012, 3:03 PM

I called on Friday (and left a voice mail) to schedule my interview and start my background screening process.
Old 01-09-2012, 8:00 PM

Interview and fingerprints scheduled for next week.
Old 01-20-2012, 4:48 PM

Default This would have been the week..any news?

Inquiring minds would love to know...
Old 01-20-2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candidviews View Post
Inquiring minds would love to know...
Interview and fingerprinting is complete, it's pretty thorough. I need to schedule an appointment with a psychotherapist and need to fire my weapons (that I want to carry) at a range to get a certificate stating that I can qualify with my weapons. The process to get approved could take up to 90 days. I'll post back when I have an update.

So far out of pocket expense is $135. The psychotherapist will be about $150, and then range will be about $50, not counting my own ammo expense.
Old 01-20-2012, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Interview and fingerprinting is complete, it's pretty thorough. I need to schedule an appointment with a psychotherapist and need to fire my weapons (that I want to carry) at a range to get a certificate stating that I can qualify with my weapons. The process to get approved could take up to 90 days. I'll post back when I have an update.

So far out of pocket expense is $135. The psychotherapist will be about $150, and then range will be about $50, not counting my own ammo expense.
thanks for the update, ParadigmGuy. keep us posted if you don't mind, OK?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Default Thank you and a question.

Thank you so much for keeping us informed.
Do they select the therapist or give you a list? How long was the interview?
Thanks and good luck!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks and good luck!
ParadigmGuy can confirm, but I believe they choose the venue for the psych test, and it takes several (4+) hours, most of which is spent taking a written/multiple choice test, with a short in-person interview w/ the therapist/analyst.

Also, ParadigmGuy, did you have the home/neighbor/workplace visits/interviews yet, and if so, how did those go?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The Psych test is the Bay Area and they only take cash. Plan on spending the day there.

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 01-21-2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
thanks for the update, ParadigmGuy. keep us posted if you don't mind, OK?
Will do.

Quote:
Thanks and good luck!
They select the therapist, and the range. The interview was about an hour. I didn't check my watch when I went it though, so it may have been a bit longer or a bit shorter.

Quote:
ParadigmGuy can confirm, but I believe they choose the venue for the psych test, and it takes several (4+) hours, most of which is spent taking a written/multiple choice test, with a short in-person interview w/ the therapist/analyst.

Also, ParadigmGuy, did you have the home/neighbor/workplace visits/interviews yet, and if so, how did those go?
I haven't had the home/neighbor/work visits or interviews yet. I'm in the military and new to the area, so my neighbors don't really know me. I also need to get them info on co-workers and my current boss that they can contact. The interviewer (investigator) explained that he just wants to talk to them to see if I appear to have an aggressive personality that would cause them to not want to approve the CCW permit. Something along the lines of me threatening them or their dog, yelling at them about parking, or anything along those lines.
Old 01-22-2012, 1:31 AM

Interesting to see how this process plays out for you ParadigmGuy and I certainly hope they approve you for an LTC! My gut feeling is that your standing as member of the military will go a long way for the MCSO. As a longtime resident of Monterey County it is certainly nice to see the MCSO opening up (even if just a little bit) on the LTC front. That said, I honestly still do not expect the MCSO to issue too many permits despite the increased transparency simply because many of us interested in getting an LTC would probably have our applications stymied by our neighbors.

Regardless, I wish I still lived permanently in Monterey County as I would try my luck at applying regardless. Unfortunately Santa Clara County where I now reside has a less than stellar record when it comes to issuing CCWs.

Last edited by DC-8; 01-22-2012 at 1:40 PM..
Old 01-24-2012, 2:29 PM

Not going to waste my time till I can apply without having to explain to my coworkers and boss why I think I need to have a CCW. I'm sure everyone knows how the stigma behind owning guns is played out in california workplaces.
Old 02-01-2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-8 View Post
Interesting to see how this process plays out for you ParadigmGuy and I certainly hope they approve you for an LTC! My gut feeling is that your standing as member of the military will go a long way for the MCSO. As a longtime resident of Monterey County it is certainly nice to see the MCSO opening up (even if just a little bit) on the LTC front. That said, I honestly still do not expect the MCSO to issue too many permits despite the increased transparency simply because many of us interested in getting an LTC would probably have our applications stymied by our neighbors.

Regardless, I wish I still lived permanently in Monterey County as I would try my luck at applying regardless. Unfortunately Santa Clara County where I now reside has a less than stellar record when it comes to issuing CCWs.
I keep coming back to this message and think about it...hard. Being in the military should have no bearing. Being an upstanding law abiding citizen with no disqualifications as a matter of law should be it. Likewise, since it shouldn't be a game of favorites or a lottery, trying your "luck" should be wholly unnecessary. Just reminding us all that we so easily lapse into thinking we have to "prove something" beyond our basic qualifications, clean record and good character. Anything more is games by the powers that be. And from Monterey county's gauntlet, it appears they have gone WAY beyond what the law requires to chill applicants.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I keep coming back to this message and think about it...hard. Being in the military should have no bearing. Being an upstanding law abiding citizen with no disqualifications as a matter of law should be it. Likewise, since it shouldn't be a game of favorites or a lottery, trying your "luck" should be wholly unnecessary. Just reminding us all that we so easily lapse into thinking we have to "prove something" beyond our basic qualifications, clean record and good character. Anything more is games by the powers that be. And from Monterey county's gauntlet, it appears they have gone WAY beyond what the law requires to chill applicants.
I completely agree with you candidviews and I too hope that simply being a honest, respectable and law abiding citizen would be enough to qualify for a CCW. As you have said, being a current or former member of the military should have no bearing one's ability to obtain a CCW.

I would rather not have to prove anything and I am certainly not going to lapse into that mentality. That said, I am faced with a difficult choice, to apply for a CCW and tacitly accept this kind of scrutiny into my life or to not apply and continue to fight for more sane standards. I can't honestly fault anyone for their decision one way or the other but it is a difficult choice and one that I should not have to make in the first place.

As long as these onerous "good character" requirements are in place however, it is my firm belief, unfortunately, that members of the military will get a significant leg up in their applications, simply because their character will not face as much initial suspicion as that of an average citizen of this county. I believe that within the MCSO especially and all law enforcement agencies more generally (where their are naturally fair number of ex-military folks) there is a general assumption that simply being a current or former member of the military attaches an aura of infallibility to one's "good character" requirement on a CCW application.

Of course, it is a very sad day that I have to even give credence to the idea that one faces "initial suspicion" in one's right to defend oneself.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CGF in the news re Monterey County: http://www.montereyherald.com/local/...s-gets-tighter

Ref'ed letter: http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...-monterey.html

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM

Thanks for posting this link wildhawker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Quote:
Miller said the application process "was really uneven and undemocratic." Now, he said, "virtually anyone can apply."
Quote:
One group routinely granted the permits has been Monterey County's all-volunteer Aero Squadron, a group of about 20 pilots who give free flight services to local government officials and help with search and rescue missions.

"I would always say OK to the aero squad guys," Monarque said. "They have more firearms training than a deputy has in a year. So I would say yes to them."
Wow. "I would always say OK to the aero squad guys" is exactly the same sort "uneven and undemocratic process" Miller supposedly railed against. What hypocrisy. I am prepared to bet many on this forum spend more time training and shooting than many an MCSO deputy and I'll be they would probably get denied. Cronyism at its finest. From this article, it sounds like the spirit of the policies Miller is planning on instituting is no better than that of his predecessor, Mike Kanalakis.
Old 02-24-2012, 7:05 AM

Default New Sheriff policies are WORSE.

Quote:
From this article, it sounds like the spirit of the policies Miller is planning on instituting is no better than that of his predecessor, Mike Kanalakis.

From the raw numbers of granted versus turndowns, it looks WORSE!
Old 02-24-2012, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am prepared to bet many on this forum spend more time training and shooting than many an MCSO deputy and I'll be they would probably get denied.
dont be so quick to make that bet, many a deputies there do a fair amount of shooting
Old 02-24-2012, 7:42 AM

I have heard that some (all?) Monterey applicants are subjected to a lie detector test and are asked questions potentially going back 20+ years...

Is this true?
Old 02-24-2012, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Applicants 'were' going through, Voice Stress Analysis, not sure if thats across the board any longer, might have changed to Polygraph
Closed Thread