Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 04-18-2010, 4:44 PM

Default -Delete-

-Delete-

Last edited by supersteve9219; 04-02-2014 at 6:22 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 7:17 PM

Wow, so this badboy is gonna be a full auto build then? Sweeeeet. You've got a nice start for sure!
Old 04-18-2010, 7:24 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Wow, so this badboy is gonna be a full auto build then?

No... full-auto is illegal on both the state and federal levels.
The 3rd position on the lower doesn't mean anything without the rest of the machining and the F/A trigger group.
Look right above the trigger pivot pin hole... there's no hole for the auto sear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-18-2010, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

No... full-auto is illegal on both the state and federal levels.
The 3rd position on the lower doesn't mean anything without the rest of the machining and the F/A trigger group.
Look right above the trigger pivot pin hole... there's no hole for the auto sear.
It's only illegal without the correct tax stamp, on the federal level at least. California, though, puts a different spin on it, though I don't pretend to understand what the requirements are there.

Last edited by moshpit; 04-18-2010 at 7:33 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 7:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
It's only illegal without the correct tax stamp, on the federal level at least. California, though, puts a different spin on it, though I don't pretend to understand what the requirements are there.
That's why I made the blanket statement... it's a low budget college student build, he doesn't have the $200 for the tax stamp... much less the hoop-jumping needed to set up a trust to make it happen in CA.
999 times out of 1000, Calgunners aren't going to be dealing with F/A, or for that matter, SBS/SBR/AOW.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-18-2010, 7:48 PM

Quote:
That's why I made the blanket statement... it's a low budget college student build, he doesn't have the $200 for the tax stamp... much less the hoop-jumping needed to set up a trust to make it happen in CA.
999 times out of 1000, Calgunners aren't going to be dealing with F/A, or for that matter, SBS/SBR/AOW.
Got it. Well, I won't hold any of that against what is still very much nice beginnings for his build
Old 04-18-2010, 7:59 PM
Señor Member

Agreed... can't wait to see pics assembled.

I've been debating which way to go with mine, and couldn't decide, so I ordered another lower.

I really wanted FDE, but didn't want to "fornicate" my Calguns lower... so the CGN lower will be basically an M16, except with RRA's new telescoping buttstock (not the cheapie commercial that Ruger puts on the SR556).
I'll be running a 20" flat-top with a JeffU ACOG.

That will be all black as God intended for black rifles to be.

The new lower will be the FDE project. Now, since I'm planning a 20", why get a 16" with a hider on it? I'll just go 14.5 with a Smith hider.
Probably the same buttstock, but I might end up going with an eMod.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2010, 8:07 PM

Not full auto, just has DD full auto bolt assembly. I don't know what is different between the full auto and semi auto, maybe its tougher, maybe its just a gimmick.

I almost went with a tan color build too, I was planning on going with tan before I got to the shop but when I got there I figured it needs to look mean, and black was the way to go. Also figured the coloring on the selector wouldn't go with tan as well as it would with black.

Also, this lower has a interesting serial number, but I am hesitant to mention what it is because I see so many people blur theirs out on this forum, is there a reason I shouldn't mention what it is?

Last edited by supersteve9219; 04-18-2010 at 8:11 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

my build sat like that on my desk for 3 months before i finally handled my upper build.
cant wait to see the finished joint.
Old 04-18-2010, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

For a college budget you did real good! Keep us updated with pics!
Old 04-18-2010, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_PALM View Post
my build sat like that on my desk for 3 months before i finally handled my upper build.
cant wait to see the finished joint.
Just look at your AR without the BCM bolt carrier, charging handle, and carry handle, and you will see my gun lol.
Old 04-18-2010, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How can a $200 tax stamp make his lower legal for FA in a proper state? Wouldn't one have to buy a Pre '86 M16 lower or a DIAS? How would a tax stamp do anything to his current lower?

As for the lower, I'm diggin' it. Very clean!

Kevin
Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Nice! Can't wait to see the rest!
Old 04-19-2010, 5:25 PM
Banned

nice start. I paid $300 for my spikes lower at BAGV cus I am a noob and I suck
Old 04-19-2010, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersteve9219 View Post
Also, this lower has a interesting serial number, but I am hesitant to mention what it is because I see so many people blur theirs out on this forum, is there a reason I shouldn't mention what it is?
Privacy/paranoia. Your long gun is not registered. Some jack a** could use your serial number and report it stolen. Can you prove it's yours, have the receipts, etc? Most likely nothing is going to happen to you, but it could potentially create a hassle.

Perhaps there are unscrupulous lawyers or people in general on here (and to all the lawyers, I'm not not saying all lawyers are unscrupulous, LOL) who will use this number against you somehow in the future to identify you. Think creatively...

Will something bad happen to you if you post your serial number? Most likely not. Is it really worth it to blot out the number? That's your call.

Nice lower, and nice guns for someone in college during a recession!
Old 04-19-2010, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2600fromAtari View Post
Privacy/paranoia. Your long gun is not registered. Some jack a** could use your serial number and report it stolen. Can you prove it's yours, have the receipts, etc? Most likely nothing is going to happen to you, but it could potentially create a hassle.

Perhaps there are unscrupulous lawyers or people in general on here (and to all the lawyers, I'm not not saying all lawyers are unscrupulous, LOL) who will use this number against you somehow in the future to identify you. Think creatively...

Will something bad happen to you if you post your serial number? Most likely not. Is it really worth it to blot out the number? That's your call.

Nice lower, and nice guns for someone in college during a recession!
I'll keep safe and not post it lol.

And thanks lol!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM

My rail is out for delivery!
Old 04-20-2010, 2:01 PM

Cant wait to see updated pictures man im in the process of building my first AR. Yours looks nice man!!! Good luck!!
Old 04-20-2010, 7:22 PM

Updated the original post with the price of the DD install and I got a free DD rear iron sight from another member here!
Old 04-20-2010, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Not full auto, just has DD full auto bolt assembly. I don't know what is different between the full auto and semi auto, maybe its tougher, maybe its just a gimmick.
It isn't just a gimmick. The auto bolt carrier has more metal on the rear end than does its semi-auto counterpart. This translates to greater mass and weight, and it helps with the correct timing and pressure in the gas system, particularly in a carbine-length.
Old 04-20-2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
It isn't just a gimmick. The auto bolt carrier has more metal on the rear end than does its semi-auto counterpart. This translates to greater mass and weight, and it helps with the correct timing and pressure in the gas system, particularly in a carbine-length.
I did not know that, why would anyone go with the semi auto over full auto given they are the same price?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plisk View Post
How can a $200 tax stamp make his lower legal for FA in a proper state? Wouldn't one have to buy a Pre '86 M16 lower or a DIAS? How would a tax stamp do anything to his current lower?
It wouldn't.

And you are correct. The lower would have to be Pre '86 or a Pre '86 Drop In Auto Sear.
Old 04-21-2010, 2:26 PM

picked up the upper after class today, and a AFG added pics to the first post!
Old 04-21-2010, 2:43 PM

Quote:
picked up the upper after class today, and a AFG added pics to the first post!
That's a sweet upper. You'll love the AFG, I know I do. Way more natural method of holding the rifle for me then a normal VFG.
Old 04-21-2010, 6:47 PM

dude....super clean rifle!!

nicely done for a first build

congrats....and welcome to the disease
Old 04-21-2010, 7:02 PM

Excellent college build!!

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC

Last edited by Sick Boy; 04-21-2010 at 7:14 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 8:03 PM

quick question: are you supposed to pull the charging handle back and let go, or ride it home? I know all my other rifles you just let it go, but wasn't sure about this and wanted to double check.
Old 04-21-2010, 8:05 PM

Quote:
quick question: are you supposed to pull the charging handle back and let go, or ride it home? I know all my other rifles you just let it go, but wasn't sure about this and wanted to double check.
I've never met an AR that you should ride the handle back to the forward position. All the way back and leggo has been the rule of every one I've fired.
Old 04-21-2010, 8:05 PM

Let it slam home, riding it most likely cause a jam.

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
Old 04-24-2010, 7:50 PM

Shot it with no problems! Not one failure to eject/jam with 100 rounds of federal walmart bulk pack.
Old 04-24-2010, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Shot it with no problems! Not one failure to eject/jam with 100 rounds of federal walmart bulk pack.

were you able to get it zeroed? from your other thread, it seemed like you were having problems.
Old 04-25-2010, 8:01 AM

Very nice rifle!

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan

The mindless dribble that is my BLOG
Old 04-25-2010, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
were you able to get it zeroed? from your other thread, it seemed like you were having problems.
No I gave up trying that day, going to go back next week or the week after and give it another shot.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Well, I have the Omega X you used, very good choice IMO. I have to say I prefer it's shape over the rounder rail systems. Also extremely light weight.
Old 06-16-2010, 6:44 PM

i plan on building an ar with a bushmaster lower. what are your guys's opinions on bushmaster? is it considered high grade or an average reciever? id like to build it right the first time so it will last me forever! thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2010, 7:03 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james74 View Post
i plan on building an ar with a bushmaster lower. what are your guys's opinions on bushmaster? is it considered high grade or an average reciever? id like to build it right the first time so it will last me forever! thanks guys!
Which lower?

The only Bushmaster lower that I'm aware of that is off-list is the Carbon-15... it's composite/poly, with a sealed magwell... top loading only. Any other Bushmaster AR lower is banned by name and an Assault Weapon in California.

On that particular lower, NOT a good way to go, for several reasons....

1 - Top loading is a PITA

2 - (and this is a safety issue)... When an AR goes "kaboom", the bottom of the magazine is normally blown out. With a sealed magwell, the pressure has one less place to go... it's going to come out at the upper/lower joint, the ejection port, and the buffer tube vent.

There's a big risk of injury during any "kaboom"... but the sealed magwell increases that risk.

If you're from a free state.... a lower is a lower. Bushmaster is no better or worse than the hundreds of other lowers available.
Personally, if I were in a free state, I would still build with a Spikes, JD, Kaiser, Noveske, or one of the other off-list lowers so I would be free to add a bullet button and travel to California.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2010, 7:14 PM

i am from cali. i didnt even realize thery were illegal. i was just gunna get a stripped stock and put a bullet button on the mag lock. but i guess not....hmmmm
Old 06-16-2010, 7:24 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
i am from cali. i didnt even realize thery were illegal. i was just gunna get a stripped stock and put a bullet button on the mag lock. but i guess not....hmmmm
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Much of what you need to know

Quote:
Old 06-16-2010, 7:33 PM

i should be ok as long as it has a mag lock. do u know if its illegal to have the lower shipped to my ffl in cali? and have u had any issues with a spike lower?
Old 06-16-2010, 7:48 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
i should be ok as long as it has a mag lock. do u know if its illegal to have the lower shipped to my ffl in cali? and have u had any issues with a spike lower?
Spikes is good to go.

A stripped lower is a firearm, but it, by itself, is not a "semi-automatic centerfire" weapon, thus, assault weapons laws do not apply to it.
The maglock must be installed before the lower is attached to a centerfire upper.
No maglock is needed if it is attached to a dedicated rimfire (.22lr) upper.

Why have one shipped in? You're going to pay $120-$150 for the lower, then you'll be paying the FFL $60-$100 for the transfer, plus the FFL may add sales tax.
If you're in SoCal, just head down to Riflegear in Costa Mesa and you can pick up a JD Machine lower for about $150 out the door.

Quote: