Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-06-2011, 9:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Yay, just paid for my Savage 93R17 BSEV!!!!!

Well, got the .17hmr that I've been wanting for a long time. I like the stainless barrel, like everything but the colored wood that the stock has. I wish it were pepper, or any other color than rainbow honestly. It may grow on me so we'll see. I already have a Truglo 6-24x44 scope with an adjustable objective with a fine reticle crosshair for target shooting. It has an AO down to 15 yards and up to infinity so it should be quite the fun plinker. The scope has 2 big sunshades, an 3" and a 5" one but you could put both together to just look ridiculous! Rifle looks something like this:

Stole the image online but the scope will be a hair bigger than that. Its a Truglo Infinity scope. Have a Harris bipod for it and a sling ready to rock so it should be a great little varmint setup when I'm all done with it. Can't wait to get it. All in all, it was $465 at budsgunshop.com and got it transferred for $50 all said and done. It was $515 all said and done (and I'll claim the use tax at the end of the year) when I do my taxes. Now for ammo, does anybody have the same or similar rifle that the rifle just seems to take to? CCI, Hornady, or any others? I'm wanting as accurate as I can get.
Old 09-06-2011, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

I love my Savage. I have the stainless field profile (thin) barrel and the composite stock, but I got mine for use in the field. I think that every rifle likes something different, but I got lucky with mine. I use the CCI TNT HP's, and one ragged hole is almost a pedestrian accomplishment at 50yd. I tried 7-8 different types of ammo, and these were the most consistent. I buy them at Wal-Mart. Likely, your rifle will favor a different flavor. If you're in or near San Diego, I'm sure I have a few boxes of random stuff you can try out. I seem to remember you being up north though, so this might not help out too much.

I hear rumors that some folk weigh their cartridges when shooting for groups, and group similar weights together. Makes sense to me, if the brass and projectile are uniform, then the powder charge will vary the weight. Never tried it, but I can't really find fault in the logic.
Old 09-06-2011, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Interesting, I may have to put it on a grain scale and see how accurate it is from one group to the other and then have a group with varying weights and see how it shoots.
Old 09-06-2011, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it seems to be a sound principle. If I had a little more motivation or free time, I would probably have a better answer for you. But I'm happy with my results, so I just slide the lids off the boxes and plink away.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm wondering what the lowest poundage the trigger will let me set it from the factory without modifying anything. I couldn't get a straight answer off of savage. I heard 2.5lb from rimfirecentral but its just hearsay so hard to really say what it is. I had heard you could set the rimfire accutrigger settings to 1.5lbs from the factory by backing the screw out. Anybody know off the top of their head.
Old 09-07-2011, 7:12 AM

the stock trigger will set pretty low but it still feels rough, I dropped a Rifle Basix in mine and its wonderful

Last edited by mitchsti; 09-07-2011 at 7:19 AM..
Old 09-07-2011, 7:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was looking at what people were doing on rimfirecentral.com and they were changing out the spring to a bic retractable pen spring, stoning the sear surfaces, and shimming it and they safely got a 1.1lb trigger pull on it. What'd the rifle basix set you back if you don't mind? I figure the factory 2lb trigger pull set at the lowest will be decent compared to the AR triggers I've been shooting lately. Even the BEST AR trigger doesn't compare to even a decent bolt gun trigger.
Old 09-07-2011, 2:11 PM

I have not measured the pull but rifle basix says 1.25 lbs is the lowest. It feels lighter and breaks real nice and it cost me bout 80 if I remember correctly. As far as ammo mine loves the hornady .17 gr vmax and as long as its not very windy will take out varmints beyond 300 yds

Last edited by mitchsti; 09-07-2011 at 2:16 PM..