Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Default Stolen 2016 Honda Accord - Update Recovered

Yep, my 2016 Honda Accord/black was stolen 4 hours ago. CHP came out and took a report. Thieves got a valet key from underneath my towel, while I was swimming in the pool. I forgot that the valet key was on my pool key ring.

Hard wake up call that's for sure.

Last edited by kimber_ss; 08-12-2017 at 4:09 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 10:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That sucks. sorry bro.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Thanks man, now the wait and see. Insurance claim filed. I may have seen the suspects so I gave a description.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Man that sucks. Im sorry to hear. Hope you get it back.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 PM

Yeah, it's the wait game. It appears that the perps knew what they were doing. It all happended so quick. Never let your guard down. Stay vigilant.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 PM

Sorry to hear. That blows. I have been there. Now the waiting game on recovery. Hope you get your car back!

Military veteran
DHS veteran
Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 PM

Also sorry to hear that. AB 109, Prop 47, and Prop 57 need to go away. Bad guys belong in jail so they don't victimize good people. Sorry that happened to you.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 PM

Thanks, yeah me and the patrolman were talking about that very issue as he wrote the report. I'm not sure what I can do to assist. Probably not much.

Those Propositions did me in for sure. They don't make it any easier for you guys working in LE. Far from it.
Oh, if it's the one in a million chance a LEO calgunner takes down the perp, put your knee deep into the perps neck and grind as you put the bracelets on.

Last edited by kimber_ss; 08-12-2017 at 12:15 AM..
Old 08-12-2017, 2:45 AM

Sorry to here it. Hope you get it back.

Whenever I hear about an Accord / Civic/ Camry stolen I think about the insurance statistics.

Old 08-12-2017, 9:23 AM

How often should I check with CHP to see if my car has been found?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber_ss View Post
How often should I check with CHP to see if my car has been found?
The agency that recovers it will call you. No need to call CHP.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Dang, you don't really see those newer cars get stolen that often too. I'm wondering if they took it for a joyride or they are gonna commit a crime with it. Are you in SoCal? What color Honda?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hopefully no other info was in the car since most have built in garage door openers etc. Stay vigilant around the home if they may have access to your address and slide the lock over on your garage door as well if applicable.

I really hate thieves.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Norcal. It's black. Who knows what will happen, but the ones who got it appeared to be ex-con prison types from what they looked like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDscar View Post
Dang, you don't really see those newer cars get stolen that often too. I'm wondering if they took it for a joyride or they are gonna commit a crime with it. Are you in SoCal? What color Honda?
Old 08-12-2017, 2:35 PM

Relax, GTA is just a property crime. That's what you have insurance for, right? Why you hatin' on these folks just trying to get by?

Seriously though; that sucks man. I hope you get it back in one piece.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 08-12-2017, 4:20 PM

So 3 hours ago I got a call from the Sheriff's dept. to meet them at the scene of the recovery. The perps were running from Sheriff's and gave up but ran the car up onto the grass of a park and it rolled into a chain link fence(tennis court).

As I arrived on the scene, perps were being cuffed up. The front bumper has some deep scratches from the fence. The car does drive OK currently. They stole a guitar speaker cabinet from the trunk worth about $400.00. And they stole a custom $400.00 digital to audio converter that was hooked to my stereo.

The perp/driver gave me a hard look as he went by in cuffs.There were 6 patrol cars at the scene with about 10 officers. I shook hands with officers at the scene and thanked them for their service. The perp obviously knows where I live etc. So I have to be vigilant for my own safety in case there's retaliation against a witness, (myself). I'm a calgunner, so there is that.

Thanks, for the replies. God bless our Law Enforcement Community.

Last edited by kimber_ss; 08-12-2017 at 5:36 PM..
Old 08-12-2017, 4:27 PM
Hiraeth Quest
CGN Contributor

Nice. Congrats on recoovery.
Should have told Mr. hard looks he's going to be needing some KY real soon.
-g
Old 08-12-2017, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sounds like good cause for a CCW application.
Congrats on the recovery, sorry you had to deal with that.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 08-12-2017, 5:20 PM

^ Or even a renewal, if that's the case.
Old 08-12-2017, 9:00 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Glad your car got recovered! Will insurance do anything about the missing personal property?

Turby
Old 08-12-2017, 9:35 PM

It's a bit off topic but it reminded me to ask. I've heard of cars having a salvaged title due to theft recovery. Is that because they pay out on the car and then recover? Or their something else going on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not telling you to make anything up but look over your car and search your mind for any other missing property.
isn't it all possible that even small expensive items might make a difference now that they've been caught and will probably go to trial.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 PM

I talk to the insurance adjuster on Monday. He's not available on the weekend. That's when I'll find out. I'll be talking to my lawyer then as well for some advice. He's from another auto incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Glad your car got recovered! Will insurance do anything about the missing personal property?

Turby
Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 PM

I would be happy to get the speaker cab that I crafted myself back. As well as the DAC that I slaved over with my soldering station. It's built with surface mount devices(SMD). Real tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I'm not telling you to make anything up but look over your car and search your mind for any other missing property.
isn't it all possible that even small expensive items might make a difference now that they've been caught and will probably go to trial.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 PM

Yeah, no idea bro. Somebody might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
It's a bit off topic but it reminded me to ask. I've heard of cars having a salvaged title due to theft recovery. Is that because they pay out on the car and then recover? Or their something else going on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 PM

I got back on my horse today. Made sure the car was locked tight and got my scuba/snorkeling gear and went back to the pool where this happened. Didn't see any gangsters this time.

Put in 10 laps in a 3/4 olympic sized pool. Trying to get back into my scuba physical conditioning. Where I was 9 months ago. Heart, lung and leg conditioning.
Old 08-13-2017, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Congratulations on going back to doing something you like. I'm glad you're not afraid to park in the same area again.

You might want to get some kind of a antitheft device.

the Club, an alarm that disables the engine, a battery or gas shut off switch, or the one that looked cheap and possibly somewhat effective to me, the thing that went around your brake pedal.
yes, they're all defeatable if the crook has some time or tools but because ...
And I know this is a longshot because thieves in general are just idiots but it's possible they made a spare key or maybe even found a spare key if you had one in the car somewhere that you have forgotten about, like a magnetic key lock box.

I just wouldn't want to be calling my insurance company about my stolen car Before they even pay out from the first car abduction.
Old 08-13-2017, 3:30 PM

Glad you got your property back. Wondering if the perp that was caught matched the suspect you originally saw.
Old 08-13-2017, 4:54 PM

Sucks you got your whip stolen. Always got to be careful. You never know who's watching you. So you carry your valet key and standard key on your key ring?

What I see happening often times is quick window smashes right in front of people's homes...reach in take the garage remote and wipe you out.

Stay safe
Old 08-13-2017, 5:25 PM

Get a good alarm with engine cuttoff and a transmitter that notifiea you of alarm. Wony stop them but will slow them down and give you a chance to catch them.

When they prosecute them, make sure your attorney askes for restitution from the thiefs. They will stay on probation until they pay off the restitution. I had someone hit my parked car and run. My insurance was paid off for the damage and the judge ordered the subject to pay me 2300 in restitution for my time having to get my truck repaired.
Old 08-13-2017, 9:50 PM

Yes, he was the same guy at the pool. LE was informed of the positive ID. They were happy that they got a perp with a positive ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
Glad you got your property back. Wondering if the perp that was caught matched the suspect you originally saw.
Old 08-13-2017, 9:54 PM

So, my valet key was on my pool key ring. 2 keys. I never intended to have any key with me at the pool that could access my car. Thinking about swimming not about security. Vigilance always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenHK View Post
Sucks you got your whip stolen. Always got to be careful. You never know who's watching you. So you carry your valet key and standard key on your key ring?

What I see happening often times is quick window smashes right in front of people's homes...reach in take the garage remote and wipe you out.

Stay safe
Old 08-13-2017, 9:59 PM

Wow. didn't know what to expect as far as restitution is concerned. Maybe this is strike one for the perp, but I would prefer it was strike two or strike three. Get him and his companions in crime off the street before they victimize someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
Get a good alarm with engine cuttoff and a transmitter that notifiea you of alarm. Wony stop them but will slow them down and give you a chance to catch them.

When they prosecute them, make sure your attorney askes for restitution from the thiefs. They will stay on probation until they pay off the restitution. I had someone hit my parked car and run. My insurance was paid off for the damage and the judge ordered the subject to pay me 2300 in restitution for my time having to get my truck repaired.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, my valet key was on my pool key ring. 2 keys. I never intended to have any key with me at the pool that could access my car. Thinking about swimming not about security. Vigilance always.
Glad you got it back. Too bad about the other equipment.

Doesn't your wetsuit have a key pocket? That's where I put my keys at the beach.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 PM

Thanks, the pool temp is warmish. But you are correct, the Hurley trunks have pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Glad you got it back. Too bad about the other equipment.

Doesn't your wetsuit have a key pocket? That's where I put my keys at the beach.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:24 AM

Im glad it wasnt totalled. Almost every time ive gotten behind a 10851 its turned into a pursuit and evenutally TCs. Good for you pal!
Old 08-14-2017, 1:18 AM

Thanks, my experience was as lucky as it gets. Almost like a fiction crime novel. Bizarre but true. I was not expecting LE to be so successful, so quickly. When the Sheriff's dept. called me about the recovery, I asked them to repeat what they said. I was blown away.
Old 08-15-2017, 4:31 PM

Question for LE. Is this likely to be prosecuted as a wobbler? Or is it a solid felony? Not sure how effective defense attorneys are for defendents in these cases. My attorney is a personal injury practice.

Is there a "need" to hire a criminal attorney as a plaintiff attorney? Isn't it just the DA who normally does the prosecution?

Not looking for legal advice. Just personal opinion.
Old 08-15-2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Question for LE. Is this likely to be prosecuted as a wobbler? Or is it a solid felony? Not sure how effective defense attorneys are for defendents in these cases. My attorney is a personal injury practice.

Is there a "need" to hire a criminal attorney as a plaintiff attorney? Isn't it just the DA who normally does the prosecution?

Not looking for legal advice. Just personal opinion.
Exactly how it turns out depends on suspect's history and your county. In my county; until they get several GTA charges it is usually a few months local time and probation...
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 08-15-2017, 7:51 PM

Having gone through this myself with my mom last year, I got paranoid and reset my garage door opener and resync it.

I'm glad you got your property back though.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk