Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Sig P320 80% Insert Completion

For anyone thinking about undertaking the Sig P320 80% I wanted to document the required tools and and steps required to complete the JSD Supply 80% insert.

Tools Needed:
-Jig
-Hammer or mallet
-Hacksaw
-Drill Bits: 9mm, 3mm, #22, #39, #40, 7/32 (these should come with the jig)
-Misc files (small flat file and needle file at a minimum)
-Dremel with small diamond tip and cutoff wheels
-Benchvise (not required but makes it much easier)
-Drill Press (not required but makes it much easier)

Here is how the P320 insert starts:

I will try and go step by step to keep the process simple.

1. Insert 80% insert into the Jig

2. Pre-bend the tab down so that they're started before inserting the top half of the jig. According to JSD this step my not be required, but it was simple and could save a lot of frustration or galling of the jig later.

3. Insert the top half of the jig and then either hammer it down until the rails are bent, or I found that if you turn the jig sideways you can use the vice to actually compress the two jig pieces together and bend the tabs. Using the vice or a hydraulic press was by far the easiest and most controlled way of bending the rails.

4. After the rails are bent, there will be excess length in the rails that needs to be trimmed. To trim the rails, a hacksaw worked really well. Utilizing the top of the jig as the guide you simply cut down until the excess tabs are removed, careful to cut evenly to avoid cutting down into the jig. Other options for cutting were brainstormed such as dremel with cutoff wheel, or even using files, but it seemed like both of those options would likely result in jig damage. The hacksaw worked really well and took all of 5 minutes to complete.

The rail tabs had already been trimmed here, but wanted to demonstrate how the jig is used as that guide for the hacksaw.

Last edited by nubrun; 04-09-2018 at 6:52 PM..
Old 04-09-2018, 12:52 PM

5. After the rails are trimmed using the jig, you should measure the rail width against the frame. I found that the after cutting the jig left the rails slightly oversized still. Using a flat file and stone to carefully take additional material off the rails until the rail width is ).002" or so smaller than the slide. You will need to be careful here though and make sure equal amounts of materials are taken off each side in order to keep the slide centered, and not cause issues with the ejector. After the rails are filed to the correct width, all rail edges should be broke to remove any sharp edges. That include the top, bottom, front, and back. A few light strokes with a fine flat file should be sufficient. Please see below for a picture of a factory Sig P320 insert to see how the rails look from the factory. The factory insert is on the left, the 80% insert is on the right.

6. Drill the holes. As you can see in the jig pictures, the holes are all clearly marked with the required bit size. There were a total of 9 holes to drill and using a drill press took about 10 minutes. Take note that two of the #40 holes do not go all the way through. They eventually will be combined into a single notch for the Takedown Safey Lever to go through. All other holes go through both sides. If using a drill press you can drill the holes through from one side.

7. The takedown safety lever notch needs to be completed. In order to do this you cut out the area between the two #40 holes noted earlier. I used a Dremel with a diamond bit to cut this peace out. After using the Dremel to knock out the small piece of metal between the #40 holes, I used a small needle file to clean up the slot.

8. It is recommended that after the holes are drilled, you go back over the holes with a flat file to remove burrs which may cause difficulty with installation of the FCU components. I experienced that there were large burrs left after drilling even using brand new sharp bits. The frame should feel flat and smooth around the holes after you file and clean them up. If there are burrs on the outside of the insert, it will be difficulty to insert in the grip module.

9.Trigger Pocket cut: The 7/32" hole drilled on the right side of the insert will need to be cut to allow for passage of the trigger through it. The jig shows this required notch and can be used as a guide. To cut, I used a hacksaw (carefully since you are only cutting the notch on one side, the right side) and then used a file to get it to the final dimensions. Due to space constraints a needle file, or small triangle file will likely be needed.

As a reminder again, ONLY CUT THE RIGHT SIDE. If you cut both sides you will have an issue with the slide catch.

10. If using gen 2, post-recall parts, you will need to cut off the tab in front of the right rear rail.

To tell if you have post upgrade parts, you can look at the Safety Lever. You have pre-upgrade parts if it looks like this:

Pre-recall:

Post-recall:

I'm sure there are other indicators, but these are the ways that I found to identify the difference.

And that's it folks. After completion you can assemble the fire control unit, and assemble the grip and slide.

Last edited by nubrun; 04-09-2018 at 6:59 PM..

Reserved

Reserved 2
Old 04-09-2018, 1:07 PM

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

nice work.
Tagged for later.
do you happen to have instructions to assemble the parts.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 04-09-2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
nice work.
Tagged for later.
search youtube for p320 assembly, look for user alma cole
Old 04-09-2018, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged!

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
nice work.
Tagged for later.

I will be posting one, just need to find the time to get it done. If you look for videos on YouTube make sure that you watch one that pertains to pre or post-recall. The assembly will be different depending on your parts.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:30 PM

cant wait to see how it functions. I am awaiting any tolerance issues before i consider getting one. thanks for the write up.
Old 04-10-2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurd View Post
cant wait to see how it functions. I am awaiting any tolerance issues before i consider getting one. thanks for the write up.
I am going to test fire tomorrow. I don't anticipate any tolerance issues though. The FCU assembly went together as easy as a factory one, and the slide is functioning with snap caps just fine. I will post an update tomorrow though.
Old 04-10-2018, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You already got the jig from JSD Supply? I'm still waiting on mine to ship. When did you get yours? He's not responding to emails or calls.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:50 PM

Thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 1:40 AM

Great write up. Thanks for doing this! Looking forward to the FCG install!
Old 04-11-2018, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Max View Post
You already got the jig from JSD Supply? I'm still waiting on mine to ship. When did you get yours? He's not responding to emails or calls.
I got my hands on the one prototype jig floating around. I talked to Jordan a little while ago, and his jog manufacturer is behind. The jigs are 2-3 weeks out it sounds like.
Old 04-11-2018, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Great write up. Thanks for doing this! Looking forward to the FCG install!
I was working on the FCU one last night when I realized I was short the two sear springs and the disconnector spring...
Old 04-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurd View Post

I shot 250 rounds through my build at lunch. I had zero issues, it ran like a top.
Old 04-11-2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
I shot 250 rounds through my build at lunch. I had zero issues, it ran like a top.
Thats good news. Im leaning towards trying to make one of my 80% FCU’s to accept 45acp.

Hopefully someone here can stop me before I completely destroy a FCU or can confirm that its possible and should work after the necessary modifications.

Reference: Link to my post in OP’s P320 group buy thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=207

Last edited by mcat707; 04-11-2018 at 2:12 PM.. Reason: Added link
Old 04-11-2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat707 View Post
Thats good news. Im leaning towards trying to make one of my 80% FCU’s to accept 45acp.

Hopefully someone here can stop me before I completely destroy a FCU or can confirm that its possible and should work after the necessary modifications.
I can only say that the JSD 80% FCU fits in a 45 grip module the same as it fits in a 9mm grip module and accepts a 45 mag (without the take down safety lever in place). I don't know if the 45 slide is wider than 9mm. I would expect that the FCU's rails would be cut wider if it is.

Last edited by bauern; 04-11-2018 at 3:16 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauern View Post
I can only say that the JSD 80% FCU fits in a 45 grip module the same as it fits in a 9mm grip module and accepts a 45 mag (without the take down safety lever in place). I don't know if the 45 slide is wider than 9mm.
Well thats good news so far too. My future project looks promising.

Thank you for the info.
Old 04-11-2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Well thats good news so far too. My future project looks promising.

Thank you for the info.

I asked Chris about this too and he said the 45 ACP insert was a different size. So, I guess we won't really know until someone successfully gets it to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6un5_4r3_N347 View Post
I bought and built up two JSD 80% FCUs and they both runs great. The only problem is that the FCUs are really tight in the grip modules. They slide in barley by hand, but I have to tap them out with a Teflon mallet. I am using both a full size and a carry X-Series grip module. I don’t know if this is normal or not? Should I sand down the FCUs or keep them tight?

Mine are tight as well. What jig did you end up using?
Old 04-11-2018, 8:50 PM

I think if it is really a problem and if it is bothering you, you could probably sand the outside of the FCU until it slides in smoothly. You do not want it to wiggle around in your grip module though. The factory P320 FCU slides in and out very easily but is tight enough to where there is no wiggle if that helps you. I may take some sand paper to the FCU when I get my kit in, thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-2018, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

mark it up with sharpie and see where its tightest and lightly sand as needed
Old 04-12-2018, 4:51 PM

Does the kit include all parts to complete the FCU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
Does the kit include all parts to complete the FCU?

The kits sold in the group buy did, but the x-change kits you see sold in stores do not.
Old 04-12-2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6un5_4r3_N347 View Post
X-Change kits go for around $407.00, or so, on Sig Sauer’s website. You can usually find them cheaper elsewhere. This does not include an FCU or an FCU parts kit.

JSD Supply has the FCU for about $99.99 and an FCU parts kit for $219.99 at the time of this response. You can get a discount if you bundle with other purchases on their website.

Ghost Guns never got their FCU to market, but they do sell a parts kit for $198.00. They are currently out of stock and the kit does not come with a slide Catch, Slide Catch Lever Spring, or Slide Catch Lever Spring Post. Sig sells a low profile P320 Slide Catch Assembly Kit for $10.00 that has all the missing parts in it. It comes in ether 9/357/40 or .45 so be sure to order the right one.

There are a few other places that have them too, you just have to look. That group buy would have been the way to go though…

Awesome thank you!

Old 04-14-2018, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

did anyone try the FCG in a .45 frame and slide with snap caps yet?

There are people who have run the SIG .45 FCG in 9mm and .40 frames and slides without issue.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the interest in the 80% we have released. The steel for the jig is coming in this week. The jig works great just as described in this thread. We have a couple videos on our facebook and instagram pages if you want to see that.

The shipping schedule will be announced through email, facebook and our website just as soon as we have that info available. It should be the end of this week.

The very first 80% i completed using our jig has well over 1,000 rounds through it. It was taken straight out of the jig, assembled, fired 1,000 rounds with 0 malfunction. I used Tula steel cased ammo and didn't clean or lube anything in the gun.

Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
Old 04-15-2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd supply View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the interest in the 80% we have released. The steel for the jig is coming in this week. The jig works great just as described in this thread. We have a couple videos on our facebook and instagram pages if you want to see that.

The shipping schedule will be announced through email, facebook and our website just as soon as we have that info available. It should be the end of this week.

The very first 80% i completed using our jig has well over 1,000 rounds through it. It was taken straight out of the jig, assembled, fired 1,000 rounds with 0 malfunction. I used Tula steel cased ammo and didn't clean or lube anything in the gun.

Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
Will the insert for 45 acp be physically different than the current insert? If so, what is the expected timeline for the 45 version?

Thanks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 3:22 AM

I have not physically compared the 2 yet. I talked to sig and they told me the 45 FCU is longer in the mag well area. So the current 80% will not work with a 45. We don't have a timeline on 45 but are working on it.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd supply View Post
I have not physically compared the 2 yet. I talked to sig and they told me the 45 FCU is longer in the mag well area. So the current 80% will not work with a 45. We don't have a timeline on 45 but are working on it.
Maybe Sig is just talking about the extra steel tab on the takedown safety lever that prevents the 45acp mags to go in the 9mm FCU?

If that’s the case then that can be grinded down with a Dremel or just get a OEM 45acp takedown safety lever. Then shorten the ejector on the 80% FCU insert to the proper length.

JSD, if you are able to confirm and test this then a separate 45acp 80% FCU and 45acp FCU Jig would not be needed to mass produce. We can use the current 80% FCU, it would just need additional modifications from the home builder.

Last edited by mcat707; 04-16-2018 at 9:57 AM.. Reason: Added More info
Old 04-16-2018, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe Sig is just talking about the extra steel that prevents the 45acp mags to go in the 9mm FCU?

If that’s the case then that can be grinded down with a dremel.
Is there a big interest in 45's? If someone is willing to buy a kit in 45 from Chris, or will buy it off me when I'm done checking, I would be happy to test fit the 45 on one of the current frames to see if its as simple as trimming the extra steel. I just don't want to be out money for a 45 which I won't keep.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Is there a big interest in 45's? If someone is willing to buy a kit in 45 from Chris, or will buy it off me when I'm done checking, I would be happy to test fit the 45 on one of the current frames to see if its as simple as trimming the extra steel. I just don't want to be out money for a 45 which I won't keep.
I already have two 9mm P320’s and will have 3 after this build. I have a full-size stripped down 45acp P320 on its way. I definitely have interest in getting a 45acp build done. Maybe we can work something out?
Old 04-16-2018, 8:09 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Very cool.
Old 04-16-2018, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

from sig talk guys have used the .45 fcg in 9mm amd 40. apparently the only issue is the takedown safety as it probably a little further foward on the .45 fcg vs the 9mm one
Old 04-16-2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:
from sig talk guys have used the .45 fcg in 9mm amd 40. apparently the only issue is the takedown safety as it probably a little further foward on the .45 fcg vs the 9mm one
difference in ejector also
Old 04-16-2018, 8:31 AM

Comparing the 45acp and 9mm FCU insert in this video here..

Forward to 14:40

https://youtu.be/ciXR5re8Wng

Old 04-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I was working on the FCU one last night when I realized I was short the two sear springs and the disconnector spring...
I had roll pin missing...If you want to check that you've got all parts, see this picture from JSD.

Last edited by get-a-gun; 04-16-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 7:41 PM

So can an 80% handgun be legally built at this point in cali?