Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-18-2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
Can you pocket carry at P290RS though? The convenience of a pocket carry is pretty important for me.
They are a little on the thick side, and they are a bit heavier than the more commonly pocketed pistols. That said however, I find mine very easy to carry in a front pocket. I use it with a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster and the front flap breaks up the printing quite well. Anyone who sees it is not going think "gun" it looks more like a decent size wallet or a smartphone in an otterbox case.

I put the "enhanced" G10 grips on mine because the added palm swell makes it pretty darn comfortable to shoot considering it's size, (plus the "piranha" texture really helps it stay put in your hand).....but I also modified the bottom of the grip panels so that you can still grip the bottom of the mag like you can with the stock thin grip panels, so I can still pull the mag out if I have to in case of a misfeed or something. I also upgraded the front sight to a truglo tritium/fiberoptic. Overall, I have to say it's pretty darn nice....however, I've probably only ever carried it two or three times. I take it to the range pretty regularly to get practice time with it, but it's just too similar to my PM9 as far as size, capacity and shootability, and since I've had my Kahr longer I've had a lot more trigger time with it and I'm more consistent with it than I am with the P290RS. So for those reasons, plus the slightly lighter weight of the Kahr, means that I always find myself putting the PM9 in my pocket instead of the Sig.

I do like that the extended magazines for the Sig hold eight rounds (and they actually work reliably), where as the Kahr extended magazines only hold seven rounds, and they really don't work very well....I have about a half dozen or so extended magazines for my kahr, and only ONE of them feeds consistently and reliably for me. Still, the PM9 is my go to pocket carry and so I will probably drop the Sig off my permit when I renew and maybe buy a revolverto replace it, like an LCR or maybe a Kimber if I come into some extra funds between now and then.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM

I pocket carry my Glock 27 every single day. Here is my setup

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1386590
Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM

I also have a Sig P290RS on my CCW.

The reason I picked it at the time was that it was possible to pocket carry it. On paper it doesn't sound much smaller than a Glock G26, but side by side there's a significant difference. I'm sure there are lots of people who carry a G26 in the pocket, but for me they're too large to be comfortable.

After I got the P290RS I ended up also getting a P238 and a Ruger LCP. Just because of size and smoothness of the frame (the P290RS is a bit boxy with sharp edges) I carry the LCP 90% of the time. I prefer holster carrying the P290 and the P238 due to ergonomics - although I know if the mood strikes me I can pocket carry them.
Old 10-21-2017, 2:47 AM
Banned

Nice to see so many pocket carry enthusiasts!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Define best, and define pocket?
Coat pocket would be a S&W hammer-less or shrouded hammer. If were talking pants pocket do you want a .380, or 9mm? Knowing your body type, and your clothing style. Are we talking the pockets of an Hugo Boss suit, Jeans, (Relaxed fit or skinny) or tactical / cargo pants?
If your going to carry in your front pants pocket, you know that tight pockets are harder to carry in then relaxed fit, and you realize the disadvantage if the threat is sudden violent, close range say car jacking, and your sitting. Very hard to get past the bend. Cargo pants can be ok, but the swing weight can be annoying and the drop to reach problematic if your in a physical struggle.

Defining the data points above allow a better assessment and recommendation.
Great post! I was thinking of just ease to conceal and not ease of access.

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-23-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
Any suggestions for the best pocket carry?
I wonder how many of the respondents to this thread have actually implemented personally the recommendations they are offering to you.

I will however offer my .02 from personal experience and daily weak side front pocket carry over a course of years:

1. Semi-Autos are generally a poor choice. They require lubrication and general cleanliness to operate correctly. Your pocket will shed lint into your firearm no matter what you do. Lubrication will attract even more lint and gunk up your pistol. Reliability is thus put into question, especially if you don't constantly inspect and clean the weapon. Lubrication will also stain your clothing. Any sort of striker fired semi-auto without a safety (Glock, etc.) is also a liability due to the possibility of an AD/ND. Flexible leather or even nylon pocket holsters can sort of shape themselves over time into the trigger guard area and possibly cause a AD/ND situation when drawing the pistol.

2. Thus I conclude that a revolver is the only serious option for a pocket carry handgun, assuming it will actually be worn regularly outside of the home with actual live ammo in it. All of the above concerns could feasibly apply to a revolver, but to a far lesser degree. There will be much more tolerance and forgiveness in the weapon's action to help ensure it will go bang when it is supposed to. It will generally run fine without lubrication and a long DA only trigger pull will mitigate the risk of AD/ND almost entirely.

My personal choice is a Ruger LCR revolver in .38 special. Extremely light, very good out of the box DA pull, and it manages full power .38 special defensive loads very well. It is an easy revolver to shoot quickly and accurately, and has no jagged edges or surfaces to hang up on your clothing. A Desantis Superfly pocket holster pairs with it better than red meat and red wine. A few Bianchi speed strips topped off with ammo in your strong side pocket and a bit of practice will likely prepare you for that lethal encounter that will hopefully never happen.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I forgot to add one more advantage of a revolver. In a close proximity type life and death struggle where a contact shot must be made, you need not worry about pushing the weapon out of battery and causing a malfunction.
Old 10-23-2017, 1:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Any sort of striker fired semi-auto without a safety (Glock, etc.) is also a liability due to the possibility of an AD/ND. Flexible leather or even nylon pocket holsters can sort of shape themselves over time into the trigger guard area and possibly cause a AD/ND situation when drawing the pistol.
Great suggestions.

By the way, I haven't found any issues at all with the LCP II. There is a trigger safety and the pocket holster it comes wouldn't cause AD when drawing. The only danger I would see if you are reholstering and you catch it on something in your pocket. But even then I've tried to AD my LCP II with a pencil and it's at an angle that makes it almost impossible to happen. The curves are polygonal and don't catch on my clothing. The nylon pocket carry holster it comes with doesn't fold inward at all around the trigger.

Last edited by SoCal P320; 10-23-2017 at 1:24 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 1:42 PM

It all depends on the size of your "pocket"

Quote:
Dolores:
Is that a rabbit in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Old 10-23-2017, 1:46 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I very briefly owned a first gen Ruger LC9. Despite being a long time fan of Ruger firearms, and owning many, I thought the LC9 was terrible in every way. I am guessing the Gen 2 is significantly improved.
Old 10-23-2017, 2:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I very briefly owned a first gen Ruger LC9. Despite being a long time fan of Ruger firearms, and owning many, I thought the LC9 was terrible in every way. I am guessing the Gen 2 is significantly improved.
Never owned an LC9, it looked a little too bulky for a pocket carry for me. I know there's a tradeoff between size and range shootability, but I think for the size, the LCP II is pretty good. Your hand stings a little bit with 50 rounds at the range with a LCP II, on the other hand you can go light jogging with an LCP II.

LC9 - 17.1 oz
LCP II - 10.6 oz

This video starting at 20:30 does a pretty good job at comparing the LCP II and LC9.

Old 10-25-2017, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I am looking into getting an edc smaller than a P229 and one thought I came across is that you want to try not to mix up your manual of arms. If your standard handgun is a 1911 and your edc a DA or a DA/SA you may get confused under stress, which is one reason I am less interested in Sig's miro guns; the P238 and P938, both are like little 1911s. Accurate little BUGgers that they be. Bobby Ricigliano's point about a semi automatic coming out of battery is something to think about, and not only if in close contact with the bad guy but is shooting from a pocket.

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-25-2017 at 4:25 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Kahr CW380 in a Nemisis pocket holster.
Old 11-10-2017, 8:46 PM

Kahr PM9.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I carry a LCP about half of the time in my right rear pocket. The rest of the time I carry a XDs .45 IWB.

Old 11-19-2017, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Dirt View Post
What ..!!
No Love for the Lorcin 380

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 1:06 AM

Seecamp 32ACP for true pocket carry. Even when I carry a more full size weapon it's in my front pocket.
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 12-01-2017, 8:35 PM

P938 in an Alabama Pocket Holster
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 PM

For me it's an XD-S.

Like the man said, I don't like big guns, just big bullets.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds