Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 PM

Default WILL HE PASS THE BACKROUND CHECK???

i got a buddy who has no felonies and no misdemeanors but his CADL is suspended for an unpaid ticket, (but not expired) anybody been or know somebody in this situation???
Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLCRUSHER View Post
i got a buddy who has no felonies and no misdemeanors but his CADL is suspended for an unpaid ticket, (but not expired) anybody been or know somebody in this situation???
People at Targetmasters said that anything like that can mean they will deny a DROS. Unpaid child support is another one that can get you denied they said too.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 PM

It'll likely result in a DMV "hold" on the weapon until he gets his license back (the hard copy).
Old 05-16-2008, 10:52 PM

Why not get a CA ID card instead if just for ID or proof of residency. Unless I'm missing something here.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 PM
retired Goon

If he wants to know 100%.

Have him fill out this form and mail ith with $20 to CA DOJ.

Within 30-120 days, CA DOJ will respond back with a letter saying if he can legally possess/purchase a firearm.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Suspended license won't deter you from purchasing a firearm.

Having a suspended license on a issue that would require a court date... as long as he goes to that court date... he should not be rejected... but with a "failure to appear" would mean a warrant issued for that person's arrest and get that declined.

They won't turn you down because you got too many speeding tickets
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 05-17-2008, 3:43 AM

I ran into this same situation a month ago.

Go in, DROS, next day the gun store calls me and says my DL is invalid. They put my license on "hold" because Lancaster Superior Court decided to spend my precious stimulus check on shoddy computer servers which gave me a wrong arraignment date for a ticket. It took me 5 days less to get an Identification Card than for them to remove the DMV hold via mail.

A suspended driver's license -- which is a privilege -- does not deny you the right to bear arms... so long as you have a form of Identification. ID Card cost me $22... and another $30 for DROS. :/
Old 05-17-2008, 7:10 PM

perfect thanks guys i will just tell him to get an id card and then go get one
Old 05-18-2008, 2:10 AM

an unpaid ticket could mean that he would have a warrant for his arrest on that ticket.
Old 05-18-2008, 3:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLCRUSHER View Post
perfect thanks guys i will just tell him to get an id card and then go get one
how about he pays his ticket instead
Old 05-18-2008, 8:37 AM

Default Drivers license

I ran into this situation. If your D/L is suspended the DROS will come back with a DMV hold as others have said. I also wondered if an ID card would work (I didn't understand why you needed to drive to own a gun - makes NO sense) but I suspect that if/when they run your record the DMV would still come back with a hold. Best way is to get the license valid again but I guess you could try the CA ID route if you are in that much or a hurry.
Old 05-18-2008, 8:46 AM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
how about he pays his ticket instead
+1 If he has the money to buy a gun maybe he should learn to be more responsible and pay his ticket first.

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 PM

the dmv may be dumb to some people, but i don't think they are dumb enough to issue an id when there is a suspended dl on file. the issued number on an id is probably the same number of the dl anyway, if you have one. if you don't, then the number issued becomes your dl number when you do get one. after all, don't you think the dmv would have thought of this scam before, or at least have experience with others who have tried it? logically, why dig yourself deeper, though many do? just pay the ticket and get it over with. an unpaid ticket is not just another unpaid bill.

Last edited by edw794; 05-18-2008 at 1:56 PM..
Old 06-14-2008, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edw794 View Post
the dmv may be dumb to some people, but i don't think they are dumb enough to issue an id when there is a suspended dl on file. the issued number on an id is probably the same number of the dl anyway, if you have one. if you don't, then the number issued becomes your dl number when you do get one. after all, don't you think the dmv would have thought of this scam before, or at least have experience with others who have tried it? logically, why dig yourself deeper, though many do? just pay the ticket and get it over with. an unpaid ticket is not just another unpaid bill.
We get it. The guy is stupid for getting his license suspended. Suspended still licenses require time and money to fix. As in, trip to traffic division, $10 fee to remove hold, 24-72 business hours, then a $55 administrative fee at the DMV.

DOJ will straightup reject a DL that is suspended because they are faxed a photocopy of the DL. A non-driving ID card is valid, though. I was able to walk in my local DMV and get an ID (while it was still suspended) within 30 minutes for $22.
Old 06-14-2008, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

why did he just not pay the ticket?????

has he learned to not speed and to come to a complete stop at the "stop" sign?

i make my living driving, and i have no loss for your friend,

you must pay the piper if you wants to here him play.

get a ticket...be a man and pay it. up front and be done with it.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Do you really think that identifying yourself is a privilege that can be revoked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edw794 View Post
Old 06-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneko View Post
I ran into this situation. If your D/L is suspended the DROS will come back with a DMV hold as others have said. I also wondered if an ID card would work (I didn't understand why you needed to drive to own a gun - makes NO sense) but I suspect that if/when they run your record the DMV would still come back with a hold. Best way is to get the license valid again but I guess you could try the CA ID route if you are in that much or a hurry.
I have never had a license (please don't ask why but i will get one soon) but i do have a CA ID and i had no problem buying guns. The only reason why i got an ID when i turned 18 is so i can buy guns/ammo.
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 06-15-2008, 4:44 AM
Veteran Member

I have an ID card and DL. I use the ID card to buy guns all the time.

They both have the same number on them, so Im guessing they're "linked" somehow.