Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Buckmark vs MK III, what's the best entry rimfire competition pistol?

looking to get one of these tack drivers, wondering what people prefer and most importantly WHY THEY PREFER IT!!!!!

I have .22's for plinking but I want something that I could potentially compete with so out of box accuracy and upgradability would be great.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 PM

The Mark III. Out of the box it's a better pistol and it has almost infinite optional aftermarket upgrades.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

so would it be best to go with a base model and then buy aftermarket everything? or get a mid range and just upgrade certain parts? what tends to be the best (not necessarily the cheapest)

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 PM

It all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. The Mark III is off roster now so finding one that is exactly what you want will be tough. Most common upgrades include an aftermarket trigger.
Go to Volquartsen.com and look around. Lots of possibilities.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
It all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. The Mark III is off roster now so finding one that is exactly what you want will be tough. Most common upgrades include an aftermarket trigger.
Go to Volquartsen.com and look around. Lots of possibilities.
good to know...thanks! looking for getting into competitions so best accuracy is my main concern (after how it fits in my hand, which basically goes without saying)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
good to know...thanks! looking for getting into competitions so best accuracy is my main concern (after how it fits in my hand, which basically goes without saying)
Cool. Yeah it wouldn't be hard to build a tack driver out of a Mark II or III.
Old 11-16-2017, 2:06 AM

I don't own a Ruger but can comment on my Buckmark and my own research.

There are a bunch of Buckmark models on the CA roster so you won't have to pay a premium, in fact I believe that there is a great rebate going on for black Friday making them extremely good value.

The barrel on the Buckmark (should you decide to switch it out) isn't a serialized part, you can just buy one shipped to your home, no ffl input required.

My research tells me that the Buckmark trigger is a lot better out of the box (I have no first hand comparison of this but the Buckmark trigger is very good, breaks clean at 4lb).

Just my 2c, but it's why I went Buckmark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 2:07 AM

Check out rimfire central, lots of info on both there!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:04 AM

The fact that the barrel assembly/receiver on the Ruger is serialized can be an issue for people in CA, unless you're roster exempt or something. So keep that in mind if you plan on upgrading those parts. Like another poster mentioned, the buckmark is serialized on the frame, so any barrels and slides can be changed out without an ffl transfer. The buckmarks seem to be getting more attention than before so the aftermarket for it is growing as well.
Old 11-16-2017, 1:47 PM

If your going to upgrade the barrel buck mark is the way to go, I find it easier to clean as well, less fuss and more time to go out shootings, upgrades for the buck mark I found where easier to install as well.
Old 11-16-2017, 1:58 PM

I have the Buckmark with the heavier slab barrel and it is an awesome tack driver. The trigger is great also.
Old 11-20-2017, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

decided I'm going to get the Browning Buck Mark Lite Gray URX 7 1/4" Barrel

felt the best in my hand and has great reviews from what I can see.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 PM

I have a ruger mark 3, donít know if I would recommend it...field stripping sucks major @$$...and it needs to be cleaned frequently due to dirty 22 ammo.

Donít know much about the buck mark but thereís no way it could be more of a hassle to clean.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

50-year-old or older Smith & Wesson Model 41s are C&R and exempt from the roster.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719213649
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718677322
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718679903
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718684023

Quote:
After that long in R&D, itís not surprising that S&W produced what many consider to be the best .22 target pistols ever made. Though it hasnít been constantly produced since í57 and didnít attain the widespread popularity of the Ruger Mark series, the Model 41 is still made today and is used by national level competitors for acute precision in competition.

Quote:
With a 5-1/2-inch barrel and a weight of 41 ounces, nobody would ever mistake the 41 as a carry gun, but that extra weight and barrel length, along with its crisp 2.7 to 3-pound factory trigger pull, make it a tack driver out of the box. The trigger also features an over-travel adjustable stop screw for fine-tuning to the shooterís needs.

Variants include the Model 41-1 introduced in 1960 that was chambered in .22 Short for International Rapid Fire competition, though only about 1,000 were made. In 1963, a heavier barreled version was made and a 7-inch barrel version was introduced in 1978.

In 1992, Smith & Wesson dropped the Model 41 from production, only to return it in 1994 as the S&W Model 41 (New Model).

Today, the Model 41 includes a switch-barrel design that allows shooters to alternate between a 5.5-inch barrel and a 7-inch barrel on the same frame. The current pistol also includes the user-adjustable trigger stop, a 2.75 to 3.25-lb. trigger, checkered wood target grips, micrometer click adjustable target rear sight with an undercut patridge-style front sight and a precision button-rifled barrel. S&W also makes a Performance Center version with a removable front sight, a better trigger, and an integrated top rail for mounting optics, and special wood grips.

https://www.range365.com/10-best-22lr-handguns#page-30

Quote:
pistol noun pis∑tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me".

Old 11-21-2017, 9:20 AM

Quote:
decided I'm going to get the Browning Buck Mark Lite Gray URX 7 1/4" Barrel

felt the best in my hand and has great reviews from what I can see.

That's interesting, the first picture looks to have a different slide to the last two pictures, you might want to check that if you intend to get a Halo ring slide racker as it'll only fit the slide in the first picture.

Old 11-21-2017, 9:22 AM

Remember to jump on the rebate too, I believe it's $100.

Old 11-21-2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
decided I'm going to get the Browning Buck Mark Lite Gray URX 7 1/4" Barrel felt the best in my hand and has great reviews from what I can see.
I have one of those. It is very accurate and the light barrel makes for easy handling when shooting off hand. I have a red dot on mine and if I do my part I can mange a few 1'' ten shot groups at 20 yards from a bench rest.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gityerkneedahn View Post
That's interesting, the first picture looks to have a different slide to the last two pictures, you might want to check that if you intend to get a Halo ring slide racker as it'll only fit the slide in the first picture.

The Browning website only had side profile pics of the 7.25" barrel so the other pics are of the 5.5" barrel version, hence the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by gityerkneedahn View Post
Remember to jump on the rebate too, I believe it's $100.

did not know that, THANKS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachblaster View Post
I have one of those. It is very accurate and the light barrel makes for easy handling when shooting off hand. I have a red dot on mine and if I do my part I can mange a few 1'' ten shot groups at 20 yards from a bench rest.
awesome to hear! what red dot do you run?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
I have a ruger mark 3, don’t know if I would recommend it...field stripping sucks major @$$...and it needs to be cleaned frequently due to dirty 22 ammo.
It takes 10 seconds to disassemble and 20 to put it back together when you follow the manual, plus a couple seconds when you need a mallet for a new one where the grip frame and receiver are tight.

See my post with video and links

I don't know why the youtube video won't display here.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-29-2017 at 10:32 AM..