Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-04-2014, 6:39 PM

Default PCSing to CA in March; can I have guns on base?

Little background: was born and raised in California (initially Long Beach and later Yuba City, then Sacramento). Then Uncle Sam hired me and sent me other places. Now, the wheel turns, and I'm coming back.

So I'm PCSing back to CA in March, and it looks like I'll be living on base. Which is cool because base housing isn't terrible, there's a lot of nature, trails, etc nearby, and it's still cheaper than living off base in a comparable rental. But I have a question: can I bring my weapons on base and store them in my house?

I've heard mixed stories from other folks. Some insist that my weapons must be locked in the base armory at all times, but I suspect that's only if I was in the dorms. Others say 'sure no problem, bring all your guns!'

So... help?

Also, another random question while I'm making a thread. Can I disassemble my >10 round magazines and store them disassembled in bags as 'parts kits' while in CA? Obviously I will not reassemble unless it's the zombie apocalypse, but I would prefer not to store them out of state if possible. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 7:27 PM

I'm not sure what base you're going to, but I recall being allowed to keep firearms in housing in Pendleton. You can also store them in the armory, however that leaves it open to the armorers to finger****.

As for the mags, that's a no-go as of now.
Old 02-04-2014, 9:45 PM

Which base in CA are you going to?
Old 02-05-2014, 7:10 AM

Vandenberg AFB, right on the coast. After I made this thread I realized I could maybe call base housing's number and see what their policy was on firearms, but double verification is always nice in case they're misinformed. Haven't called yet so I don't know what their answer is.

So you're saying that even parts kits are verboten now in CA? That's disheartening. I'm not saying I will bring fully assembled 30 rounders across the border, but even parts kits are now banned? Those were legal the last time I was in CA.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:21 AM

Up here at Travis you have to register your fire arms with the Security Forces armory.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-05-2014, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

I live on Vandenberg. Get your commander to sign this and you're good. Security Forces is even cool when guests coming to stay with you or in lodging and leaving their firearms with you temporarily if you're already cleared with one of these forms. Also they don't care about certain restrictions you might expect. Get a Rod & Gun Club membership! Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/?txtS...ite=AFPW_EPubs
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:38 AM

Fantastic. I fired a PM off to you, Artema! I thought it was too much to hope for to find someone else living on base.