Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Glock 29 10mm and 800x results

Took out a set of loads with the G29 to test out over the chronograph.

800x 9.0 to 9.9 grains (trickle charged .1 grains per round)
Winchester Large Pistol Primers
New Starline Brass
175gr Slivertips and 180gr HardCast Silver State

I made up (5) of each round to test.

The Glock was setup with a KKM 5.25" barrel and a 23lb Wolf uncaptured recoil spring(s).

To note: with the hot rounds this is greatly increasing the felt recoil and I would not recommend this as a defensive solution where you need a quick and accurate follow up shot. Off a rest it will jump out of your grip, standing it will take you twice as long to get back on target and possibly over penetrate.

The main numbers:

At 9.0 grains on the 175gr Silvertips it was a fairly comfortable ~1,250fps
At 9.5 grains on the 175gr Silvertips it was a stout ~1,350fps
At 9.9 grains on the 175gr Silvertips it was a very hard ~1,400fps

I did not go any further than 9.9 grains. Once it hit 1,400 fps I was starting to get a little concerned that it is being pushed a bit hard for the pistol even with the 23lb spring. I am thinking that 9.5gr (or close to that) and 1,350fps is getting about as hot as I would need to go to.

None of the primers showed any signs of overpressure and I only started to see carbonizing/powder on the case mouth at 9.9gr. Every single brass that was ejected had a 'dent' mid way along its length. This is not something that I see with lighter loads or with the 17lb spring. Since it is new brass you can see the ejector bite on the rim. The dent is at approx at 2:30 and 1/3rd the way down. Lining things up, it looks like the brass is being flung forward a bit and it is hitting the slide in the 'forward/lower-right' portion of the ejection port.

Accuracy wise, off a rest at 10 yards it was pattering under 2" with it tightening up as the speed went up. It was also shooting high and right about 2"-3" at this range. I will need to drift the sights a bit once I settle on a load and shooting high is fine of course at this range.

For the Hardcast 180gr Silverstates they shot accurate and fine. We did not chrono these, just took shots at targets. From the .0 to the .9 loads you could tell a difference. After a few magazines you could see some mild leading in the barrel which came out when a couple runs of the poly brush that came with the pistol. Not 100% sure if I will pursue hot versions of the Hardcast 180's at this time or not although they did shoot very well.

;tldr It looks like 9.5 grains of 800x under a 175gr silver tip gets a stout 1,350fps out of a 5.25" barrel.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Good to know, I just got a gen 4 G29. Don't plan on shooting lead though.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Good stuff. Now I know where to start with my G21 10mil... I only got Longshot ready for it though. I imagine that I might go with a powdercoated hard cast lead though for ****s and giggles when I first start playing around.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Awesome results, ive done about similar with 800x using 180 grn plated bullets. I decided to abandon 800x because i cant reproduce the loads in a progressive because it meters so horribly. Also heard alot about it pressure spiking, a little worrying as i was creeping past max load.

Moved over to longshot for now, if i cant get what i want out of it ill move on to blue dot and #9. If none of those work out its back to 800x on a single stage.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 07-08-2013, 1:49 PM

Thanks for the info. In terms of home defense, since you do not recommend the hot 10mm loads, would it be better to run with a hot 40 S&W or a meduim 10mm? I've got a Glock 23, am considering the 10mm, but it would be pointless if I am only interested in going for max loads on 10mm and not be able to se it for home defense. Your thoughts?
Old 07-08-2013, 2:08 PM

The issue is the feasibility of it. I am strong (ex-athlete), 6', large hands and 200lbs so take this with a grain of salt (depending upon your stature).

While standing I felt comfortable taking measured shots every couple of seconds however I did not feel comfortable at all trying to shoot in a rapid fashion. The recoil was similar to a medium .44 Magnum 240 grain load with a bit more jerkiness.

In contrast, we had some whimpy 10mm loads around the 1100fps range (180gr FMJ) and they shot just like 40 S&W. Basically, they were not an issue at all as long as the 40 S&W does not bother you.

Another thing to note, that 23lb spring GREATLY increased the recoil and changed the impulse entirely. I put in that spring to protect the firearm. With the 17lb spring the recoil will be greatly reduced however the frame is going to get battered.

So taking the recoil out of the equation (if you can handle it or not) it now comes down to the power level.

With 180 grains traveling over 1300 FPS in 10mm you are looking at some pretty tough bullets. Your general .40 S&W bullets will not be solid performers since they are not designed for these velocities, they work, just not well to what you are expecting.

At these power levels and with solid bullet construction (the Silvertips being a good example) AND the recoil added together you have 2 possibly bad situations,

1) You miss and it goes through more walls/air than you want it to

or

2) You hit and it still over penetrates

For hunting or dangerous animal defense, which is what I am setting up here, I feel comfortable between 1,300 and 1,400 FPS with the 180-175gr bullets. For carrying or around the house it is the equivalent of light .41 magnum (890 FPE) or heavy .357 magnum (710 FPE) being lit off. If you are good with those power levels as a home defense solution then it might fit your needs.

If yo already have a Glock 23 then you can use very healthy commercial loads which are the same as light 10mm loads for less money and less size.
Old 07-08-2013, 2:45 PM

Yep I bought my G29 strictly for a backpacking gun. Small package with enough penetrating/knock down power to stop most large animals in North America.

Me personally I cannot stand the .40, to snappy and see no reason to compromise the 9 or 45. But I can look past all that with the 10mm due to its performance and the fact I won't shoot it a ton, just enough to become efficient in a OH SHAT!! situation.
Old 07-08-2013, 3:01 PM

To note: I do not have or shoot anything other than .40 S&W and 10mm. I would get a 10mm Magnum (rifle) for fun but everything is based upon the .40 caliber bullet.

My main pistol is a G27 and I find it to be very manageable with just about any loading up to 1100fps or close to that. It would be the pistol that I would grab for SD situations every time over the G29 due to it having the right combination of power, capacity and controllability in my hands.