Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-14-2011, 1:23 PM

Default If I take my scope off the base do I have to re-zero in if I reinstall?

I'd like to be able to swap between scopes, they each have their own rings and share the same base. I was wondering if I have to re-zero the scope if I take it off the base?

Pic of rifle + scope

Old 03-14-2011, 1:27 PM

Not if you use: www.laruetactical.com products...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If you want a shotty, why not buy a Remy or a Mossy? That's what my mommy shoots.

WTB: LARUE TACTICAL DILLOS
Old 03-14-2011, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1811 View Post
? what
Old 03-14-2011, 1:42 PM

i think he meant the one piece rings from larue tactical
Old 03-14-2011, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1811 View Post
Larue makes some good stuff but I would always want to confirm that claim nothing ever returns to absolute zero everytime.
Old 03-14-2011, 1:49 PM

so looks like its a definite no. Dang
Old 03-14-2011, 1:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Should be on to within 1moa or so. But you should always zero your sights everytime you shoot.

Deal of the Week - Updated Every Monday

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 03-14-2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedArmory View Post
Should be on to within 1moa or so. But you should always zero your sights everytime you shoot.
thats not too bad I might do it if its only 1 moa.

I dont think my skills are within 1 moa even
Old 03-14-2011, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
Larue makes some good stuff but I would always want to confirm that claim nothing ever returns to absolute zero everytime.
There stuff is insane but I've noticed shifts in the smallest amount.
Old 03-14-2011, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Wait, are you talking about 1 rifle and 2 optics or 1 optic and 2 rifles?

Sharing an optic between 2 riles is not going to work. Swapping different optics on the same rifle will work I guess but you are looking at a 1MOA change at least. I never ever remove my optics unless I have too and if I do I always rezero. I own Larue stuff and yes they will return zero for the most part but 1 MOA is a mile to me. Fine for a battle rifle but IMO not for a nice bolt action. If my rifle started shooting 1MOA off I'd be pissed. I go into full troubleshooting mode when my groups are 1/4MOA off.

Honestly, if you have a need great enough to switch optics back and forth you might want to just look into getting another rifle.
Old 03-14-2011, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedArmory View Post
+100
Old 03-14-2011, 4:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My Talley quick release rings on my 375 H&H will repeat within 1/2" if I install them the same way every time. I push the scope so that the ring bases are always tight against the base slots and torque the levers to the same position.

If you have a scope that has a distance of 6" between the rings and misalign the scope 0.001" it will change the point of impact 0.6" at 100 yards

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 03-14-2011, 5:41 PM

Default Yes you can do it, but....

Like so many things it is not a totally simple answer (well at least for me). You certainly can swap out scopes on the same base, and in many cases the scope will be fairly closely sighted in. However this depends on the base, rings, and how carefully the rings were aligned with the base in the first place. Some bases and rings are simply not as well made as others, so when you remove and reinstall the scope it may not be aligned quite the same as before. The difference won't be huge, you are not going to shoot a degree off of your previous mark (thats 60 MOA), but you might be off anywhere from almost zero to several MOA, and it may change each time you do the change.

As someone else already mentioned, if you want to shoot sub MOA you will want to sight in your rifle every time you shoot it. And though it may only take a few shots to get your rifle sighted in there surely are situations where sighting in simply isn't practical. A hunter probably can not sight in their rifle after crashing through the bushes all day stalking a deer, even though a target shooter would cringe at the idea of not sighting in after such "abuse". A sniper may or may not be able to sight in since, like deer, people tend to get nervous when they see bullets landing nearby. In many Hollywood movies we see some evil assassin putting together their rifle in a hotel room in preparation for shooting some important "hit", but unless they are taking a relatively easy shot that probably wouldn't work without some really special equipment and a bit of luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 6:22 PM

I have La Rue mounts on all my optics. Never ever ever never have I ever ever ever had a shift in POI on any rifles. I have three AR's and a Reminton 700 with LT mounts. Hell I have a 10/22 with LT mounts as well and have never had to rezero anything after I have removed a optics. I keep my guns in the safe with optics removed and the optics in zipped padded bags in another locked safe. La Rue is the way to go if you want to be able to remove your optics between trips. I have a AR that has two optics both in La Rue mounts just replace one for the other and I am good to go!
Old 03-20-2011, 6:31 PM

I have had off twice and it was right on each time after remounting. S & W AR 15OR with 4X12 Simmons, don't recall mounting name but it has quick release screws
l---L -=OlllllllO_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Old 03-20-2011, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

US optics mounted in Badger Ordnance rings mated to a Badger base, I've taken the scope of the base a few times and upon mounting have had it shooting within .1 mil, so pretty much within my personal wobble zone, meaning it could have been me and not the hardware.