Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-06-2018, 7:06 PM

I like Windows 7. Eventually, I'll probably run Linux with Windows 7 either on a separate partition or virtual box. Luckily, gaming isn't important to me anymore. So, I don't need (want) uber graphics cards or high-end CPUs.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Still more efficient than Win8-10. Just a rt-click with anything other than an i5-i7 will let you know when the menu isn't instant.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

My corporate PC is still running on Windows 7 64-bit. My personal laptop is running Windows 10 and I absolutely hate it. Before Microsoft cuts off support for Windows 7, they should have Windows 11 by then so that's what I'll use.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
My corporate PC is still running on Windows 7 64-bit. My personal laptop is running Windows 10 and I absolutely hate it. Before Microsoft cuts off support for Windows 7, they should have Windows 11 by then so that's what I'll use.
I don't think there will be any Win11 - they are doing the agile thing and just revving Win10 every 6-12 months. Our default corp image is Win7 - I have it on a hard drive in a plastic bag, and an ISO file. It's that useless.
Old 02-09-2018, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Win 8 sucked. Win 10 is basically unusable.

All my computers are Win 7.

I even downgraded my work computer to 7.
Old 02-10-2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
Win 8 sucked. Win 10 is basically unusable.

All my computers are Win 7.

I even downgraded my work computer to 7.
Win8.1 sux out of the box, agreed, but if you can learn what to do with it, It's one of, if not THE best O/S Microsnot has ever put out. It's faster, and more tweakable than 10, just as reliable, and faster than 7. You can also control when it updates, and when it doesn't.

I have a new MSI coming in the mail. It, unfortunately runs WinX (Windows 10 for Deedle ). I'm going to give it a shot, and see what can actually be done with it. The "free" version you could download a year ago, was a frikkin' Greek tragedy. However, my Wifes new computer came with it, and I've been working with it over the last week and a half, and it might be doable. It seems to be FAAR better than it was. I know how to keep it from updating when it wants, and instead, updating when *I* want. I've figured out how to "shut it up", so data stays out of someone else's hands.

The problem is, to do any of that, requires more know how, than making Win8.1 workable.

And yes, Microsoft *IS* working on the next Gen O/S that is NOT WinX.

After all is said and done, at least out of the box, I like Win7Pro best, but if I want a new Gamer, it'll have to be WinX, and I will learn to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
I like Windows 7. Eventually, I'll probably run Linux with Windows 7 either on a separate partition or virtual box. Luckily, gaming isn't important to me anymore. So, I don't need (want) uber graphics cards or high-end CPUs.
Linux Mint, would be a GREAT choice for you.... Be willing to get yer hands dirty though.

Last edited by Dragunov; 02-10-2018 at 2:06 AM..
Old 02-10-2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
A 4gb stick of DDR3 is running around $30 now. They need to skip pizza out and eat a homemade sandwich once and fix that.
Agreed!, and funny!

Strangely enough, I have NO trouble selling computers here at all, but people here, despite my efforts, are pretty computer illiterate in this area.

However, slowly, but surely, I'm getting the locals out of their "WallyWorld" computers, and in to a decent Lenovo, or an MSI, for the gamers.

I then, fix up said "WallyWorld" computers that I get as trade in's, and sell them dirt cheap to those who can't even afford a new Wal-Mart computer. I even warranty them for a time.

My contribution to the community.

Last edited by Dragunov; 02-10-2018 at 3:35 AM..
Old 02-10-2018, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Linux Mint, would be a GREAT choice for you.... Be willing to get yer hands dirty though.
I tried 3 flavors of Mint, I ended up running mostly Ubuntu-Mate myself but I have atypical use cases I suppose.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I tried 3 flavors of Mint, I ended up running mostly Ubuntu-Mate myself but I have atypical use cases I suppose.
For most users, Mint is ideal. However, I guess that depends on what it is precisely, that you're doing.
Old 02-11-2018, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
For most users, Mint is ideal. However, I guess that depends on what it is precisely, that you're doing.
Elementary OS is pretty lean compared to other *Buntu varients...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
RDP seems to work really smoothly on Ubuntu-Mate, and all my Linux 'machines' are on ESXI. I got it working on some other distros but it wasn't as nice.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
Just installed win 7 and I’m wondering if is still “safe” to use since the discontinued patches to the system. My understanding is that security updates will be available until 2020.

Should I “upgrade “ to win 10 or just stay put?
Important machines, I have Win7 Pro. I have a couple Win10 machines and just bought a Win10 Pro flash drive edition to test.

As far as upgraded Win7 machines... seems unnerving to have a PC you don't have an install disc and key for. Better hope when it crashes, Win10 can fix itself every time. I am not convinced.

As far as end of life products, one way to look at it is to dump them because MS won't help you. Another way to look at it is that if it is still working, what's going to happen? They fixed bugs for 15 years already. It might be the best thing since sliced bread now. Just don't expect drivers to be available for the new crop of cheap crappy printers, etc... that are made to be disposable.

Last edited by crufflers; 02-11-2018 at 1:00 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
As far as upgraded Win7 machines... seems unnerving to have a PC you don't have an install disc and key for.
You can get the license info out, and media can be had here.
Old 02-11-2018, 4:26 PM

Many, many people still use Windows 7 from my line of repair work, even more so, even more people continue to use Windows XP.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabing View Post
Many, many people still use Windows 7 from my line of repair work, even more so, even more people continue to use Windows XP.
That is my experience also. 80% are running Win7, or XP. 15% are on some flavor of Win8, about 5% are on 10.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:15 AM

Quote:
If you have a "Windows 10" computer that has no O/S, and you don't see a COA either on the bottom, or under the battery, those machines have the license installed in the BIOS, and you don't need to purchase a license. (Deedle knows this, but not everyone does).
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Deedle knows this, but not everyone does.
I actually didn't know that, or if I did I'd forgotten it. I know a running instance of Win10 can be replaced by getting the license info before blowing it away with a new image.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM

I don't understand the hate against windows 10. I upgraded to 10 on an old laptop that used 7 and have never looked back. 10 runs faster. Period.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Requiro Pax Sed Praeparo Nam Bellum
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbob55 View Post
I don't understand the hate against windows 10. I upgraded to 10 on an old laptop that used 7 and have never looked back. 10 runs faster. Period.
It's my experience that Win10 is more responsive than previous NT versions, however I don't use it on resource constrained systems. I think the smallest VM I have it on is 6gb and it's fine, but I've heard that it's not snappy on very low resource systems.

I have no experience either way on that score.

Memory is cheap.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Might have to try that. A guy just brought me his old laptop (Core2Duo/4 gig) running the free Win10 upgrade and it boots to a black screen. Safe mode works, running SFC. He has no disc or key.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Windows 10 has a reset function that is rumored to work pretty well but I've never tried it.
Old 02-13-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Might have to try that. A guy just brought me his old laptop (Core2Duo/4 gig) running the free Win10 upgrade and it boots to a black screen. Safe mode works, running SFC. He has no disc or key.
Just To be fair, I had a Windows 10 system of the following:

ThinkPad T400.
2.53Ghz C2D.
8gb/RAM
500gb HDD.

I put a "hobbled" WinX on it, ran great then, still runs great.

Nothing wrong with the way it runs. it *IS* fast, although I don't see any difference between Win8.1 (if it's loaded, and fixed properly), and WinX, as far as speed goes. There is no discernible difference between them, and it only boots faster than Win7, and if Win7 is "Fast-booted", Windows 10 still isn't that much faster on boot. Unless you "fix" it, Win7 is faster for Day-to-day, Ops, due to less stuff getting in the way.

To give the devil his due, I've been working with Window 10 home, for the past two weeks, and after getting rid of Defender, shutting off Cortana, and automatic updates completely (I'm currently evaluating Edge), it isn't too bad at all. However, leaving updates on, Cortana, and Defender on, it's a huge PITA, and a little "jittery". It IS much better than earlier versions. I replaced Defender with AVAST!, and MalwareBytes.

I just purchased a new MSI gamer that has Windows 10 home on it. After some work, and "shutting it up", it seems to run great. When I first got it, the O/S was so pooch-screwed, I tried a factory reset. FAIL! So I wiped it, and reloaded back on the NVMe drive, got on the MSI website, downloaded all the drivers and it worked great afterwards, after applying some "fixes" to it.

NOTE!, if you ever try to update your nVidia driver, and WinX doesn't allow it to be recognized, make sure you don't have any updates in queue.

Last edited by Dragunov; 02-13-2018 at 2:27 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just To be fair, I had a Windows 10 system of the following:

ThinkPad T400.
2.53Ghz C2D.
8gb/RAM
500gb HDD.

I put a "hobbled" WinX on it, ran great then, still runs great.

I just purchased a new MSI gamer that has Windows 10 home on it. After some work, and "shutting it up", it seems to run great. When I first got it, the O/S was so pooch-screwed, I tried a factory reset. FAIL! So I wiped it, and reloaded back on the NVMe drive, got on the MSI website, downloaded all the drivers and it worked great afterwards, after applying some "fixes" to it.

NOTE!, if you ever try to update your nVidia driver, and WinX doesn't allow it to be recognized, make sure you don't have any updates in queue.
I have a similar laptop with win10 and no major issues but I don't do much on it and it has a new SSD drive... so it is pretty fast. A home PC has had a few issues... and I recall an Open GL issue with some old game that wouldn't run till I applied a fix. It isn't horrible. Mostly I'm really familiar with 7 Pro and it works.
Old 02-13-2018, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Easy enough to download the Win10 install to a flash drive... actually found a restore point back when it was supposedly working, so I am trying that first.
Old 02-14-2018, 3:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbob55 View Post
Open Devices and printers in 10 and tell me how long it takes to complete it's population...

I tried it on a T400 with an Intel 128GB SSD and 8gb of RAM.

I removed it w/in a week, as it is LESS responsive, and takes more clicks AND time to get most tasks done, especially just changing a port on (IP of, rather) a networked printer.

For some reason on my work Win 10 Devices and Printers takes FOREVER to load, on even an i5 with 8GB of RAM w/ and Intel SSD:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wind...orever+to+load

Sticking with 7, as I like things that I tell Windows to do to happen quicker. I really don't play much in the way of computer games, so I can't speak to that on Win10 but some people say Win Vista of the x64 variety works fine too, but not for me...

Win 10 also takes FOREVER to even connect to a Win 7 box via RDP, when 7 to 7 is almost immediate, and although I believe it is negotiating crypto... should it take THAT long (20-30+++ seconds for negotiation, on a Gig connection)?
Then the password field goes OUT OF FOCUS (becomes the non-active window, even if it is the only application running), so I have to take my hand and move it to the mouse, then click inside it, then move hands back to the k/board? Inefficient, if you do it many times/day. ALT-TAB don't even let me into the password field, IF IT IS THE ONLY APPLICATION RUNNING. It REALLY irks.

NOT faster for things I do all day, every day, sticking with 7 on my home rigs BECAUSE I have deal with 10's lag at work, AND on my son's rig, so it's not group policy, or corp. goofiness causing it... but I understand boot times are longer if on a domain, as GP creates even MOAR lag on 10.

Last edited by the86d; 02-15-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 4:22 AM

I can't believe that no one has highlighted one of the stupidest things about Win8/10 - the fact that MS glued two operating systems together unnecessarily - one for desktops/laptops and one for tablets.

Let's say that MS asked you on your first start-up:
"Is this a desktop/laptop, or a tablet?"

Then, if you click "desktop," you get a normal Windows screen/experience you can navigate as per usual.

Only if you click "tablet" do you get all that stupid-*** tile ****.
Old 02-14-2018, 5:05 AM

Still running W7 and probably will for the rest of my life. I have a dozen OEM W7 PRO install disks (32 bit and 64 bit) and license keys if I need them.

For drivers updates, I just go to Dell. For security, I use Avast! AV.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Nothing seemed work saving the old installation, so I douched it this morning with the boot flash drive. There was no key needed. There is an option to enter in a key if you have one and another option to continue with no key and it will register automatically when finished. It does make you create a MS account with password and PIN.
Worked fine. Laptop is working again, obviously faster than before.
Old 02-14-2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Nothing seemed work saving the old installation, so I douched it this morning with the boot flash drive. There was no key needed. There is an option to enter in a key if you have one and another option to continue with no key and it will register automatically when finished. It does make you create a MS account with password and PIN.
Worked fine. Laptop is working again, obviously faster than before.
You can sign in on a local account, if you don't click the internet start during install.
Old 02-14-2018, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You can sign in on a local account, if you don't click the internet start during install.
I'm sure but this was the new install wizard. I just had the user go though it. Funny he had some real problems working the mouse controls to change dates etc... they wanted DOB. It seemed like it was designed for touch screens.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 AM
CGN Contributor

I've had good luck with OS's. I finally upgraded an old computer from vista to windows 10 (yes, I was running vista way too long, but it was not network connected! I never had problems with Vista like everyone else did, all my computers were custom builds). This particular computer was built in 2008, but handles Win 10 just fine. Probably because it has 8 gigs of ram and a dedicated solid state drive for the OS, raid array for file storage. Pretty good for 2008!

Anyway, I had a windows 8 license on another computer, I downloaded the windows 10 ISO from microsoft and upgraded that computer to windows 10 using the windows 8 key.... Which you're not supposed to be able to do anymore, but microsoft activated it!

I thought "what the hell, might as well try and use that windows 8 key again to try and upgrade that vista machine to windows 10"... and it worked! Both computers upgraded to windows 10 for free.

(these were clean installations of windows 10 onto formatted hard drives)

Last edited by Mountain Max; 02-19-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Old 02-16-2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Open Devices and printers in 10 and tell me how long it takes to complete it's population...

I tried it on a T400 with an Intel 128GB SSD and 8gb of RAM.

I removed it w/in a week, as it is LESS responsive, and takes more clicks AND time to get most tasks done, especially just changing a port on (IP of, rather) a networked printer.

For some reason on my work Win 10 Devices and Printers takes FOREVER to load, on even an i5 with 8GB of RAM w/ and Intel SSD:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wind...orever+to+load

Sticking with 7, as I like things that I tell Windows to do to happen quicker. I really don't play much in the way of computer games, so I can't speak to that on Win10 but some people say Win Vista of the x64 variety works fine too, but not for me...

Win 10 also takes FOREVER to even connect to a Win 7 box via RDP, when 7 to 7 is almost immediate, and although I believe it is negotiating crypto... should it take THAT long (20-30+++ seconds for negotiation, on a Gig connection)?
Then the password field goes OUT OF FOCUS (becomes the non-active window, even if it is the only application running), so I have to take my hand and move it to the mouse, then click inside it, then move hands back to the k/board? Inefficient, if you do it many times/day. ALT-TAB don't even let me into the password field, IF IT IS THE ONLY APPLICATION RUNNING. It REALLY irks.

NOT faster for things I do all day, every day, sticking with 7 on my home rigs BECAUSE I have deal with 10's lag at work, AND on my son's rig, so it's not group policy, or corp. goofiness causing it... but I understand boot times are longer if on a domain, as GP creates even MOAR lag on 10.
First, I agree on WinVista. Not a bad O/S at all, provided, just like some other versions of windows, you "work" it a bit. There are ways to set up Windows 10, to make it easier to get around in. However, in the interest of learning the O/S, it's best to get familiar on how it does things without any alterations.

I place a couple toobars in my taskbar, to make things easier to get around. On older systems, like the T400, it is helpful (VERY helpful) to strip down Win10 of Cortana, Edge, Defender, and shut off Windows automatic updates. This REALLY helps WinX responsiveness. Installing Spybot Anti-Beacon., is something else I recommend for anyone using WinX on a home system.

If you want it to work like Win7, you can always download, and install "Classic Shell". Although, I haven't done this with Windows 10, I do this with Win8/8.1, and it works marvelously.

I don't do this with Windows 10, because I want to get used to getting around in it as it's installed for the most part, as it's probably going to be around for a while. I do this for Windows 8.1, because shamefully, that O/S is going to die soon I'm sad to say (I really do like Windows 8.1).

Last edited by Dragunov; 02-16-2018 at 8:03 AM..
Old 02-16-2018, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Less than one second. I would guess around 700ms if I was betting on it.

I tried it on 3 machines, a homebrew workstation and two VMs. Same result, although the low resource VM does sometimes feel sluggish. Low resource VMs feel slow on 7 as well so there's that.
Old 02-16-2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Max View Post
I never had problems with Vista like everyone else did ...
I used Vista happily until 7 came out, it was a perfectly fine OS for me. To be honest the only Windows platforms I've had problems with were the 9x series (including Me) but those were mostly machines I had to use for work that someone else owned; I've literally only owned one 9x machine, a 98se box I had for a while but soon repurposed to Linux.

I think a lot of the Vista issues were the same as the 10 issues, botched "upgrades" and/or low spec hardware. Clean installs on decent hardware seem remarkably uneventful.
Old 02-16-2018, 8:26 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
I can't believe that no one has highlighted one of the stupidest things about Win8/10 - the fact that MS glued two operating systems together unnecessarily - one for desktops/laptops and one for tablets.

Let's say that MS asked you on your first start-up:
"Is this a desktop/laptop, or a tablet?"

Then, if you click "desktop," you get a normal Windows screen/experience you can navigate as per usual.

Only if you click "tablet" do you get all that stupid-*** tile ****.
Pretty sure we highlighted that in post #2, the very first reply, and also post #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
They will have to pry Win 7 from my cold, dead hands. Or give me something better than the joke that is Win10.

Win 7 is still the OS with the most market share, especially in the enterprise. So you are in good company. Security updates still coming, and may even get an extension past 2020 if they can't produce something better than a tablet UI for a desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Everything I have runs Win 7 64 Pro.

8 was a joke and 10 still looks too much like preschool playtime.

I use computers not cell phones or tablets so I don't need the tile interface

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-16-2018 at 8:29 AM..
Old 02-16-2018, 8:33 AM

i still use win7.

2000 professional was the best desktop client.
Old 02-18-2018, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Less than one second. I would guess around 700ms if I was betting on it.

I tried it on 3 machines, a homebrew workstation and two VMs. Same result, although the low resource VM does sometimes feel sluggish. Low resource VMs feel slow on 7 as well so there's that.
The second time you did it (cache), or the first (cache-free)?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The second time you did it (cache), or the first (cache-free)?
Every time.
Old 02-19-2018, 5:30 AM

This week, I figured out how to graft Windows 10Pro's gpedit.msc, into WinXHome. Now, I can shut all those annoyances off, shut off Telemetry stuff, etc.

Still evaluating.
Old 02-19-2018, 7:34 AM

Think XP was my last WIN venture before going to OSX or LINUX if need be.