Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-12-2018, 7:08 PM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

Default ⚖️ Jury Duty―Two Questions 🏛️

I have two questions about jury duty at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana (Orange Co.):
  1. When the attorneys are performing Voir Dire to each potential juror, do they know that the prospect is a CCW permit holder or not?
  2. Can I leave my firearm in my car in the parking garage (as long as all the rules around automobile storage are followed)?

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-12-2018, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
I have two questions about jury duty at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana (Orange Co.):
  1. When the attorneys are performing Voir Dire to each potential juror, do they know that the prospect is a CCW permit holder or not?
  2. Can I leave my firearm in my car in the parking garage (as long as all the rules around automobile storage are followed)?
1) Only if they do a public records search on each and every potential juror in the pool on that day. Kind of time consuming and probably expensive, since they do not have a list of names beforehand, in most cases.

2) While I can't offer specifics for the location, I will ask do you really feel comfortable leaving a firearm and ammunition in your car unattended? I sure do not.
Old 06-12-2018, 8:19 PM
Wretch
CGN Contributor

If there’s a questionnaire, they will know because you will give an honest answer
That's cool I don't do glocks.
ďIf you think they're going to give you your country back without a fight, you're sadly mistaken." -- Steve Bannon, CPAC 2017
Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
...I will ask do you really feel comfortable leaving a firearm and ammunition in your car unattended? I sure do not.
Of course I do. Especially when I go to the post office or (rarely) a school.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1 unlikely except if the case is directly on point to CCW.

2. You donít want to leave anything valuable in a car for a five mile radius of that courthouse. The cars in that garage are known to be driven by jurors that are busy from aboht 845-430. Donít leave a firearm in your car, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM

I attended my jury duty yesterday. Since the building is secured and all jurors are Xray scanned, I left my CCW in the car (properly locked up). I had no issues to report. Left the courthouse at 3 and simply unlocked my car and stuff. Drove home. The parking garage is not on the Courthouse grounds.
Old 06-14-2018, 9:55 PM

I am a government trial attorney in Orange County. We wouldn't have any information re CCW status, the only information on the paperwork they give us before voir dire is your occupation, spouses occupation, how long you've lived in Orange County, and when the last time you were called in for jury duty.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:28 AM
CGN Contributor

I, too, just completed jury duty. I asked one of the deputies at one of the security checkpoints about CCW visitors. I was told that they are allowed but need prior permission (from a judge, if my memory serves me correctly).

p.s. In the courtroom, I swear it looked like the District Attorney was packing at the 4 or 5 o'clock position under his suit jacket.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:32 AM

In Ventura County, CCW is prohibited in the county courthouse buildings. Only LEO can carry. I can't remember if they have to be in uniform or not.
Old 06-16-2018, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

The last time I was in court representing a LEO in a civil matter, he was allowed to carry his weapon into the courthouse but checked it with the bailiff upon arriving at the court room. It may have been a local rule of the particular court.
Old 06-17-2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I
p.s. In the courtroom, I swear it looked like the District Attorney was packing at the 4 or 5 o'clock position under his suit jacket.
Probably. They are peace officers.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 AM

I wouldn't leave anything in my car within 5 miles of the courthouse. It's located in one of the worst areas of OC. I used to work at 14th and Main in Santa Ana for several years. Trust me.
Old 06-18-2018, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

I have jury duty in a couple weeks at Harbor. If they tell me they want me to go to Santa Ana I will tell the commissioner, in writing, to provide security from my car to the courthouse and back.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
I have jury duty in a couple weeks at Harbor. If they tell me they want me to go to Santa Ana I will tell the commissioner, in writing, to provide security from my car to the courthouse and back.
No need. It's relatively safe. I just finished a three-day trial as a jurist there. I kept my weapon locked in my car in the jury parking area of the parking structure.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

LA Civil Courts do not allow peace officers to carry a firearm if they are a party to the action. They can carry into the court but need to check the firearm in with the sheriff's office and pick it up when they leave. Officers can carry if they are subpoenaed as witnesses in their official capacity.
Old 06-19-2018, 2:12 AM

If I have a gov related business, gun stays home
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelek View Post
If I have a gov related business, ...
Why else would one go to the courthouse?

Old 06-19-2018, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
Probably. They are peace officers.
No they are not. Deputy DA's do not attend an academy something that is required to be a peace officer in CA.
Old 06-19-2018, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No they are not. Deputy DA's do not attend an academy something that is required to be a peace officer in CA.
DA's investigators are peace officers. DAs are not, even though they get badges.
Old 06-19-2018, 7:34 PM

This is basing my answers off of my County.

1. No. Attorneys do not have your names prior to a jury panel being called up. A Deputy/bailiff will probably run jurors if they’re bored because you just never know who shows up for jury duty. I’ve encountered people with warrants on jury duty, so anything can happen. Other than that circumstance, no one will know that you have a CCW permit unless you volunteer that information. Of all the voir dires that I have seen, there is no question that would intentionally pull out information of you being a CCW permit holder unless you volunteer that information.

2. If you want to.

P5Ret is correct. DA’s are not peace officers. DA or Defense Investigators are peace officers and are usually retired peace officers.

In my county, the only people that can carry into a courtroom are uniformed officers (Class A/B, not tac vests) and judges as long as they are not a party to the matter like Notorious mentioned.

Last edited by esy; 06-19-2018 at 7:37 PM..
Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder if my county's newly elected DA lied then. During her campaign she stated she and those in her office were peace officers, albeit only per the 40 hour PC 832 course.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I don't bring my daily carry to jury duty because downtown San Bernardino is not a place you want to leave anything valuable in your car. On the other hand, downtown San Bernardino is not a place you want to be without your daily carry.
Mark 16:16
Old 06-20-2018, 3:27 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
1. No.

2. Yes, as long as it complies with CA firearm in vehicle storage laws [PC 25140].
^Don't forget to leave all your ammo (spare mags/speedloaders/etc) in your vehicle as well.

Penal Code 25140
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b), a person shall, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle, lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk, lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view.
(b) A peace officer, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle not equipped with a trunk, may, if unable to otherwise comply with subdivision (a), lock the handgun out of plain view within the center utility console of that motor vehicle with a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or other similar locking device.
(c) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000).
(d)(1) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(A) “Locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
(B) “Peace officer” means a sworn officer described in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or a sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of that officer’s duties, while that officer is on duty or off duty.
(C) “Trunk” means the fully enclosed and locked main storage or luggage compartment of a vehicle that is not accessible from the passenger compartment. A trunk does not include the rear of a hatchback, station wagon, or sport utility vehicle, any compartment which has a window, or a toolbox or utility box attached to the bed of a pickup truck.
(D) “Vehicle” has the same meaning as specified in Section 670 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is unattended when a person who is lawfully carrying or transporting a handgun in a vehicle is not within close enough proximity to the vehicle to reasonably prevent unauthorized access to the vehicle or its contents.
(3) For purposes of this section, plain view includes any area of the vehicle that is visible by peering through the windows of the vehicle, including windows that are tinted, with or without illumination.
(e) This section does not apply to a peace officer during circumstances requiring immediate aid or action that are within the course of his or her official duties.
(f) This section does not supersede any local ordinance that regulates the storage of handguns in unattended vehicles if the ordinance was in effect before September 26, 2016.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-20-2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I don't bring my daily carry to jury duty because downtown San Bernardino is not a place you want to leave anything valuable in your car. On the other hand, downtown San Bernardino is not a place you want to be without your daily carry.
The way I look at it is that the ability to protect my life is worth more than the cost of my gun being stolen.