Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default KTV Streams as an alternative to PSVue/SlingTV, etc?

I just learned about this streaming TV company.
www.ktvstreams.com

Sounds like a good solution for those that want to "cut the cable" but not lose some of the more popular cable network channels like Discovery, IDTV, NatGeo, etc. I've looked in to SlingTV, PSVue, etc and they all charge a lot and seem to be missing some of the channels I don't want to lose.

Only $10/month, and requires a small technology hurdle like having Android or iPhone, or using a Firestick, and of course an internet connection.

I'm really wanting to give Frontier Communications the one-finger salute once and for all, and this solution sounds too good to be true for watching the network channels I don't want to lose.

Anyone use it, know anything about it?
Old 08-11-2019, 6:25 AM

here is a tip.....PLUTO TV. it is totally free, has tons of channels , and a great tv menu. is also has music channels. i have it on my computer, i phone , fire tv and my nvidia shield. all you need is a internet connection. i stumbled on this when i was exploring my new vizio tv. it comes pre installed. i have been driving to different cities daily with pluto tv on. it has never skipped a beat.
Old 08-11-2019, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
popular cable network channels like Discovery, IDTV, NatGeo, etc.
Are those the popular channels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
I'm really wanting to give Frontier Communications the one-finger salute once and for all
Won't you still need them for your internet?
Old 08-11-2019, 9:50 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

It is my firm opinion that with all this cable cutting and moving to streaming will cause ISPs to revert to implementing data caps.

My Cox internet connection has a 1024 GB cap. An afternoon of watching Netflix used 20 GB. Now imagine my whole days worth of TV was streaming. I would blow through my cap very fast.

Now imagine an ISP who has a heavy percentage of streamers. Their data pipe may not be able to handle it.

The days of Compuserve per byte charges are coming back.
Old 08-14-2019, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Are those the popular channels?
They're a sample of the ones we watch and I assume are in the top 100 or so of basic cable channels watched in the US, along with HGTV and a bunch of others but we don't watch FOX, CNN, MTV or any of the others that are probably considered popular by some. We also subscribe to Prime and NetFlix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Won't you still need them for your internet?
Yes, and that's all I'll need them for, at about $40-50/mo. versus the $125/mo. we're paying now for "Triple Play" internet, phone and TV. Phone will go to Google Voice or Ooma and local TV, which we rarely watch, will come in via a digital antenna up in the attic once it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
It is my firm opinion that with all this cable cutting and moving to streaming will cause ISPs to revert to implementing data caps.

My Cox internet connection has a 1024 GB cap. An afternoon of watching Netflix used 20 GB. Now imagine my whole days worth of TV was streaming. I would blow through my cap very fast.

Now imagine an ISP who has a heavy percentage of streamers. Their data pipe may not be able to handle it.

The days of Compuserve per byte charges are coming back.
That's not reassuring but maybe a good thing? Maybe it'll encourage people to try harder to cut the electronic umbilical cord?

Last edited by RBShooter; 08-14-2019 at 7:56 AM..