Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2017, 7:49 AM

Default Looking for Pistol training in So Cal...

There are so many good trainers, and places to train around the country, but who would you choose for specifically pistol training in Southern California?
I would like to hear your thoughts on any place you have trained, who you would like to train with, and why.
I live in Los Angeles, but might have to travel to get one of the better trainers.
Thank you and I look forward to reading your answers.
jerdog3
Old 02-22-2017, 8:36 AM

My son took the basic recreational firearms class at Firearms Training Associates. I went along to watch and was quite impressed with the way they handled themselves. Extremely safe considering the very low (non-existent) level of firearms experience in the class.

We are both going back to take the two-day general handgun class in a couple of weeks. I will post my thoughts on that afterward. That one is more extensive with drawing from the holster, etc. I will be interested to see the array of people attending and what their experience levels may be. My son has shot competitively in sporting clays, but has very little handgun experience. I have carried on daily for about 30 years, but the class is something for us to do together. Plus I want to see how they do again, before having my wife and daughter go for a different class.

Their website is www.ftatv.com and they are located at Raahauges in Corona.
Old 02-22-2017, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post
My son took the basic recreational firearms class at Firearms Training Associates. I went along to watch and was quite impressed with the way they handled themselves. Extremely safe considering the very low (non-existent) level of firearms experience in the class.

We are both going back to take the two-day general handgun class in a couple of weeks. I will post my thoughts on that afterward. That one is more extensive with drawing from the holster, etc. I will be interested to see the array of people attending and what their experience levels may be. My son has shot competitively in sporting clays, but has very little handgun experience. I have carried on daily for about 30 years, but the class is something for us to do together. Plus I want to see how they do again, before having my wife and daughter go for a different class.

Their website is www.ftatv.com and they are located at Raahauges in Corona.
Thank you! Great info. I can't wait to hear about your experience with the class.
Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2017, 9:29 AM

Has anyone else done an training or have any advice for someone who wants to?
Thank you.
Old 03-04-2017, 6:43 PM

Quick update on this. My son and I finished day one at Firearms Training Associates today. I am pretty impressed so far. Considering the wide range of experience they get, of course they started with simple safety, loading, unloading, presentation and reloading training. Great ratio of instructors to students.

I will post more after tomorrow but so far I am impressed.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Quick update on this. My son and I finished day one at Firearms Training Associates today. I am pretty impressed so far. Considering the wide range of experience they get, of course they started with simple safety, loading, unloading, presentation and reloading training. Great ratio of instructors to students.

I will post more after tomorrow but so far I am impressed.
Very cool! I look forward to reading all about it!
Have fun.
jerdog3
Old 03-05-2017, 7:50 PM

Well, I recommend Firearms Training Associates. The instructors were great, knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and had a sense of humor. The staff is well qualified.

A lot of it was fairly basic from my perspective, but they get a wide range of people in the basic classes. They covered safety, presentation from the holster, marksmanship, failure drills, malfunctions, etc.

Even after daily carry or a firearm for almost 30 years, and ongoing training, it was still worth my time.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-06-2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I recommend Firearms Training Associates. The instructors were great, knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and had a sense of humor. The staff is well qualified.

A lot of it was fairly basic from my perspective, but they get a wide range of people in the basic classes. They covered safety, presentation from the holster, marksmanship, failure drills, malfunctions, etc.

Even after daily carry or a firearm for almost 30 years, and ongoing training, it was still worth my time.
Thank you again! I will check it out.
Old 06-02-2020, 4:40 PM

https://tacticalla.com/

Very informative, and several levels of instruction available. Hezi scaffolds his training, even within novice, intermediate, or advanced class. Highly recommended.