Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-29-2013, 8:15 AM

Default (AR Lower) Escape hole or take-down pin detent vent hole

What is this hole for and what purpose does it serve ?

Old 12-29-2013, 8:30 AM

A few different theories floating around regarding the hole. They are discussed in the following thread:

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-88273.html

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 12-29-2013, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

When you anodize lower receivers with out this hole the solution gets trapped in this hole. If you think about it every hole in the lower receiver is a pass through hole.

AR15 300 BLACKOUT UPPERS & VARMIT UPPERS
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=589953

80% VYTAMENC TACTICAL 80% LOWERS AND JIGS

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...05#post9933705

vytamenctactical.com
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The hole is to vent (let escape) fluids.
That could be the anodizing solution, oil or water.
Without the hole, liquids would get trapped in the pin hole.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That hole was not on the original M16A2 rifles. It is drilled after you run into trouble to get the spring and detent out. From TM05538C-23&P/2 page 3-69

Theres a belief that there is more information available now then there ever was in the entire history of the world due to the web. I say BS, there is a severe lack of true and correct information.
Thats why a good old book will never die.
Old 12-29-2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
That hole was not on the original M16A2 rifles. It is drilled after you run into trouble to get the spring and detent out. From TM05538C-23&P/2 page 3-69

Theres a belief that there is more information available now then there ever was in the entire history of the world due to the web. I say BS, there is a severe lack of true and correct information.
Thats why a good old book will never die.
This was what was discussed in the link I posted. Lots of "theories" out there, but when you refer back to the Good Book of ARs, you never go wrong...

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 12-29-2013, 7:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
This was what was discussed in the link I posted. Lots of "theories" out there, but when you refer back to the Good Book of ARs, you never go wrong...
Yeah I try to avoid going to another thread to have to sift through the BS to find the one post worth looking at.

But the thing is do you know how many people will refer to youtube to figure out how to assemble a lower cause they are to damn lazy to buy a book and use it. and the thing is that book is cheep and there are free PDF versions all over the web and it has a bunch more info in it then just how to assemble tab A into slot B.

Last edited by kcstott; 12-29-2013 at 8:01 PM..
Old 12-29-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Yeah I try to avoid going to another thread to have to sift through the BS to find the one post worth looking at.

But the thing is do you know how many people will refer to youtube to figure out how to assemble a lower cause they are to damn lazy to buy a book and use it. and the thing is that book is cheep and there are free PDF versions all over the web and it has a bunch more info in it then just how to assemble tab A into slot B.
I have lots of good books! I think the people that you are referring to are a lot of the same ones that ask questions without using the search function!!