Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Primary Arms or Holosun? Which do you prefer and why?

I've owned my Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot for over a year now and while I like it a lot, I've wondered if I should have saved more for a Holosun. I mainly went Primary Arms for the price, though I knew it would hold up more than OK under regular use. Has anybody out there used/owned both? What was your experience?
Old 06-23-2018, 10:38 AM

I like Holosun, I have several the HS515GM, HS510C, HE515GT, and HS507C

I have put about 1000 rd through them with no problems.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM

How is the clarity on the glass for the HS515GM? My PA has a slight blue/teal tint and I'm wondering if the Holosun would have some sort of Orangish tint judging from the color of the lens/cover.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

The outside color of the lens is not what you are going to see through the optic. Like most budget red dot sights you will see a slight greenish tint. This helps the device reflect the dot back to your eye clearly.

You only lose this when stepping up to red dots in the multiple hundreds of dollars range.

It doesn't bother most people though, and I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 for years floating around on various rifles until I get the money for a permanent optic.
Old 06-24-2018, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

I own a Holosun 503C. I own or have owned a basic PA red dot, Eotech 512, Trijicon MRO, various Vortex. I like the Holosun because it gets 20K hours on a battery. I like over PA as the fit & finish is better. Vortex doesn’t have anything with close to the same batt life. Forget EOTech. The MRO is sweet, but battery life ain’t so hot.
Old 06-24-2018, 3:00 PM

Holosun because anytime anyone asks any question on any topic the owner doesn’t respond ACSS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 06-24-2018, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
Holosun because anytime anyone asks any question on any topic the owner doesnít respond ACSS!
Okay, that's funny.

I have three HS510C circle/dots and a PA 1-6◊24 scope with a KISS reticle. Nothing short of very pleased with both. I do like the battery life on the Holosun dots. I do wish PA would put the KISS reticle on more products (e.g.. 3x and 5x prism scopes).
Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
I own a Holosun 503C. I own or have owned a basic PA red dot, Eotech 512, Trijicon MRO, various Vortex. I like the Holosun because it gets 20K hours on a battery. I like over PA as the fit & finish is better. Vortex doesnít have anything with close to the same batt life. Forget EOTech. The MRO is sweet, but battery life ainít so hot.
Interesting that you choose the Holosun over the Vortex, I've always admired my friend's Vortex for their design and performance, but that's a good point about the battery life.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
The outside color of the lens is not what you are going to see through the optic. Like most budget red dot sights you will see a slight greenish tint. This helps the device reflect the dot back to your eye clearly.

You only lose this when stepping up to red dots in the multiple hundreds of dollars range.

It doesn't bother most people though, and I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 for years floating around on various rifles until I get the money for a permanent optic.
This is what I was getting at, thanks for clarifying
Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Okay, that's funny.

I have three HS510C circle/dots and a PA 1-6◊24 scope with a KISS reticle. Nothing short of very pleased with both. I do like the battery life on the Holosun dots. I do wish PA would put the KISS reticle on more products (e.g.. 3x and 5x prism scopes).
I'll say, considering you have 3 HS510C's! Glad to hear they hold up beyond having good battery consumption. I personally like the reticle on the PA Raptor 1-6x, but to each their own.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Holosun makes primary arms red dots iirc
Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy06 View Post
Holosun makes primary arms red dots iirc
I'd heard that somewhere, but wasn't sure if it was true or if so, why
Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Default Never owned either

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOModern View Post
I've owned my Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot for over a year now and while I like it a lot, I've wondered if I should have saved more for a Holosun. I mainly went Primary Arms for the price, though I knew it would hold up more than OK under regular use. Has anybody out there used/owned both? What was your experience?
While i've never owned either. I have had EOTech sights and I gotta say the quality is impressive. I'm also a huge fan of Trijicon ACOG's or RDS's
Old 07-07-2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecBeach View Post
While i've never owned either. I have had EOTech sights and I gotta say the quality is impressive. I'm also a huge fan of Trijicon ACOG's or RDS's
I don't doubt that, but the price of the PA or holosun is what makes them attractive to me. If I had money for an eotech I wouldn't need to compare these two haha
Old 07-07-2018, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

I'd get a holosun if I couldn't afford a western made optic.

It's just a guess, but primary arms, holosun, and almost all other Chinese optics are made in the same factory, that's how the Chinese operate.
Old 07-07-2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
I'd get a holosun if I couldn't afford a western made optic.

It's just a guess, but primary arms, holosun, and almost all other Chinese optics are made in the same factory, that's how the Chinese operate.
Just waiting to find a used one at this point. Can't really afford the trijicons, eothecs, and vortexes quite yet
Old 07-07-2018, 9:20 PM

Holosun has a lifetime warranty, if that makes a difference. I wish companies like Burris, Vortex, Athlon, etc. would license the ACSS reticle. It's really a great reticle.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Holosun has a lifetime warranty, if that makes a difference. I wish companies like Burris, Vortex, Athlon, etc. would license the ACSS reticle. It's really a great reticle.
The Lifetime Warranty is only for the housing. The glass is covered for 5 years and the electronics and LED emitter for only 3 years.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbyo1 View Post
The Lifetime Warranty is only for the housing. The glass is covered for 5 years and the electronics and LED emitter for only 3 years.
Good catch. Still better than what PA has on most of their items.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just waiting to find a used one at this point. Can't really afford the trijicons, eothecs, and vortexes quite yet
I think you'll be very happy with a holosun or primary arms, there really isn't anything bad to be said about them.

The expensive stuff is kinda over hyped and it's probably a small minority that need or use their potential.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Good catch. Still better than what PA has on most of their items.
True, though they do offer a true Lifetime Warranty on quite a few items including a couple of their micro red dots and 30mm red dots.

Now with that said, I prefer the circle/dot reticle of the 5 series Holosuns over a single dot reticle like those on the Primary Arms. The cirlce/dot just works better with my eyes.
Old 07-08-2018, 9:49 AM

Quote:
I don't doubt that, but the price of the PA or holosun is what makes them attractive to me. If I had money for an eotech I wouldn't need to compare these two haha
I'm pretty sure Trijicon has some cheaper Red dots for sale... I could be wrong! But I know they have some really high quality sights and not toooo expensive.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Trijicon has some cheaper Red dots for sale... I could be wrong! But I know they have some really high quality sights and not toooo expensive.
Cheapest I've seen is there MRO for around 400, luckily it's a great optic so I guess I'd be getting my money's worth if I went above the Holosun price range.
Old 07-15-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Cheapest I've seen is there MRO for around 400, luckily it's a great optic so I guess I'd be getting my money's worth if I went above the Holosun price range.
I remember I wanted to get an ACOG for my replica airsoft stuff. But Id rather get it for my real steel then waste 400 on a toy I go play with
Old 07-16-2018, 7:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Really depends on what you want out of the optic.

Main value of Primary Arms red dots is the ACSS reticle.

Holosun models will offer more features especially at higher price points.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 07-21-2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
I remember I wanted to get an ACOG for my replica airsoft stuff. But Id rather get it for my real steel then waste 400 on a toy I go play with
Airsoft can be useful still. I train with an airsoft glock 17 from time to time since its 1:1 scale and simulates most of what I need it to do https://modernairsoft.com/collection...t-pistol-glock
Old 07-21-2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
Really depends on what you want out of the optic.

Main value of Primary Arms red dots is the ACSS reticle.

Holosun models will offer more features especially at higher price points.

-Matt S.
I've been itching to try the Holosun's 2MOA reticles with the ring
Old 08-28-2018, 4:58 PM

I have one of each. I like them both. From what I understand, Holosun makes the PA units anyway.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

From all the reviews i have seen, the PA seems to be more durable and has had crazy torture tests.
If you look up issues for both, you will see more problems with Holosun.
Thats what i have seen so far.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 PM

I don't know why you'd want a BDC in a red dot optic. It's impossible to see those drop dots without magnification.