Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-13-2018, 6:05 PM

If you're on a budget, buy a high quality $100 rear flip up iron sight for your AR15 (like the Troy flip up) it will last forever vs a $100 red dot sight that will last 1-2 years.

Then save up $250 in the distant future for an Vortex red dot sight, like the AR Sparc (they have excellent warranty and repair) you can use it in conjuction with your high quality flip up iron sight.

Last edited by Wallabing; 06-13-2018 at 6:11 PM..
Old 06-13-2018, 6:54 PM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambodian View Post
leupold vr freedom, primary arm 1-4x ,
VX-Freedom 1.5-4 AR reticle looks good to me
Old 06-13-2018, 6:55 PM

I am gonna try out the leupold vx freedom. Has any tried it. It just came out 2018 shotshow.
Old 06-14-2018, 8:18 AM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am gonna try out the leupold vx freedom. Has any tried it. It just came out 2018 shotshow.
Nope buy there have been similar Leupolds on the market that are loved... like the VX-HOG 1-4x20 piggplex. I'm sure they are similar. I have an 3-9x40 MARK AR that is sweet for $250 with mount at the time I bought.

Make sure you get the AR reticle.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM

You might like Nikon's new P-Tactical 223 1.5-4x20 BDC, under $190!
Nice Nikon glass and backed by Nikon's No Fault Warranty. Compact and tough.
Old 06-14-2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
VX-Freedom 1.5-4 AR reticle looks good to me
I just got one of these for a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK.

The glass is good, bright and clear. Reticle is useful yet clean and simple.

I don't mind that it's not a true 1X because the rifle is a bolt gun anyway.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 AM

After doing some research, i found mostly all lens are from Asia. Japan seem to be the best. If you have a new model leupold, vortex, bushnell etc. It likely a asian optics.

Quality are using better in the higher price scope but optics are the same, asian made.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Honestly not sure if you’re a troll.

I will respond as if you honestly don’t know.

Saying it’s “made in Asia so all optics are the same” is insanely ignorant. I hope you’re not some racist pos.

Asia is after all made up of at least 100 ethnicities with different cultures and development in technology.

Optics sourced in Japan vs say the Philippines vs say China are vastly different in quality and scope build.

Japanese scope builders like LOW or Deon build some of the best scopes on earth. They can easily match anything that comes out of Germany or Austria.

In the end it’s about the level of quality the purchasing party wants to spec out.

The quality of worker and engineer is different between nations and the reason Japanese sourced optics are more expensive is because the quality of build and quality of qc is vastly superior to other nations.

So no, the optics are not all the same. They’re not even remotely close to each other.

Just like a VW bug is not the same as a Ferrari Enzo. They are both European right?

I’m gonna say it straight, if it’s made in China and doesn’t have American QC, it’s trash. The Philippines makes slightly better stuff, but again needs American QC. If it’s made in Japan, they could probably teach us QC.
Old 06-17-2018, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was looking toward more of tactical , focal short range.
https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tact...al+scope&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tact...tactical+scope
Old 06-17-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
After doing some research, i found mostly all lens are from Asia. Japan seem to be the best. If you have a new model leupold, vortex, bushnell etc. It likely a asian optics.

Quality are using better in the higher price scope but optics are the same, asian made.
Glad to see you have become an expert so quickly.
Old 06-17-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Honestly not sure if youíre a troll.

I will respond as if you honestly donít know.

Saying itís ďmade in Asia so all optics are the sameĒ is insanely ignorant. I hope youíre not some racist pos.

Asia is after all made up of at least 100 ethnicities with different cultures and development in technology.

Optics sourced in Japan vs say the Philippines vs say China are vastly different in quality and scope build.

Japanese scope builders like LOW or Deon build some of the best scopes on earth. They can easily match anything that comes out of Germany or Austria.

In the end itís about the level of quality the purchasing party wants to spec out.

The quality of worker and engineer is different between nations and the reason Japanese sourced optics are more expensive is because the quality of build and quality of qc is vastly superior to other nations.

So no, the optics are not all the same. Theyíre not even remotely close to each other.

Just like a VW bug is not the same as a Ferrari Enzo. They are both European right?

Iím gonna say it straight, if itís made in China and doesnít have American QC, itís trash. The Philippines makes slightly better stuff, but again needs American QC. If itís made in Japan, they could probably teach us QC.
This.
Old 06-17-2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
NcStar vs Sightmark ?

Are they china made?
They are China made. Could you be more specificed, red dot, 4X scope, or 4-16X scope or .....
Old 06-17-2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:

Saying itís ďmade in Asia so all optics are the sameĒ is insanely ignorant. I hope youíre not some racist pos.

In the end itís about the level of quality the purchasing party wants to spec out.

So no, the optics are not all the same. Theyíre not even remotely close to each other.

Iím gonna say it straight, if itís made in China and doesnít have American QC, itís trash. The Philippines makes slightly better stuff, but again needs American QC. If itís made in Japan, they could probably teach us QC.
Dude, i am asian. Chill. Lol

I was referring to lens, not a scope assemble as whole. Asia meaning china, taiwan, phillipines, japan etc.

I bought a Hawke, thinking it was made in Euro. But optic was really china and some phillipines.

I was trying to pick up another scope but so many brand name or re-brand. It got the same design etc and i thought does it have some special optics. Basically no. It just how it put together. And you are correct American QC.

People say stick to the well known name. And why is it worth $1000. Is it just name popularity? Or optics?

$1000 vs $200 scope made with same optics. May be slightly better plus or minus. Not huge different. Sucker just expensive.

Buy another gun or an optic. Hahahahah.

Thanks for input.
Old 06-17-2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
They are China made. Could you be more specificed, red dot, 4X scope, or 4-16X scope or .....
I came to a comparison of a firefield barrage and a ncstar mark III. It stump me on the price and i was like should i just pick a vortex. But then after research vortex crossfire is china made optic too.

I was just looking for a tactical scope etc. I was trying to replace my red dot.
Old 06-17-2018, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dude, i am asian. Chill. Lol

I was referring to lens, not a scope assemble as whole. Asia meaning china, taiwan, phillipines, japan etc.

I bought a Hawke, thinking it was made in Euro. But optic was really china and some phillipines.

I was trying to pick up another scope but so many brand name or re-brand. It got the same design etc and i thought does it have some special optics. Basically no. It just how it put together. And you are correct American QC.

People say stick to the well known name. And why is it worth $1000. Is it just name popularity? Or optics?

$1000 vs $200 scope made with same optics. May be slightly better plus or minus. Not huge different. Sucker just expensive.

Buy another gun or an optic. Hahahahah.

Thanks for input.
You still don't get it. Why are you selling your binoculars for $500? Same optics. I'll offer you $20, it's only slightly better than the $50 ones on Amazon, besides yours is used.
Old 06-17-2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
You still don't get it. Why are you selling your binoculars for $500? Same optics. I'll offer you $20, it's only slightly better than the $50 ones on Amazon, besides yours is used.
There is a huge difference to a bino in comparison; where it made and how it is made.

Ur original answer to me was "neither". So why would you tell me not to buy it or even choose one, but ur backing up china made optics? I dont get it.

I'll just leave it there thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 9:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

This. OP's analogies in trying to justify being cheap and buying himself a cheap optic. My Porsche Cayman is made in same country as VW Jetta, so according to him they are exactly the same lol
Old 06-18-2018, 9:47 AM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Yeah, forget about place of manufacturer if you want highest quality for lowest price. You want inexpensive but not cheap. The two correct answers have been given: Primary Arms or Vortex. Vortex would get my vote for red dot or 3x, Primary Arms for microdot. Enjoy
Mark 16:16
Old 06-18-2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
This. OP's analogies in trying to justify being cheap and buying himself a cheap optic. My Porsche Cayman is made in same country as VW Jetta, so according to him they are exactly the same lol
Dont know didnt like german cars. LoL. I prefer Japanese all day.

I think people not understanding me. Ncstar or sightmark becuase a vortex i was looking at was same price and made in china. Why wouldn't anyone consider those 2. I wish it wasnt china so it be easier to choose but market flooded with them.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Yeah, forget about place of manufacturer if you want highest quality for lowest price. You want inexpensive but not cheap. The two correct answers have been given: Primary Arms or Vortex. Vortex would get my vote for red dot or 3x, Primary Arms for microdot. Enjoy
Thanks bud that all i needed to know. I was looking at primary arms too.
Old 06-18-2018, 5:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is a huge difference to a bino in comparison; where it made and how it is made.

Ur original answer to me was "neither". So why would you tell me not to buy it or even choose one, but ur backing up china made optics? I dont get it.

I'll just leave it there thanks.
I'm not the one backing chinese-made optics. You are. You keep saying they are all the same. I'm the one saying there's a difference.
Old 06-18-2018, 5:54 PM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Vortex would get my vote for red dot or 3x, Primary Arms for microdot. Enjoy
If you like Vortex... the new Crossfire RD-1 is no slouch. I like it. Love the Vortex Sparc AR too. AR mount that is included with the RD-1 is pretty decent too.
Old 06-18-2018, 5:57 PM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Hate to say it though... good Vortex glass comes at a price just like with Leupold and Leupold prices are low now. To impress me like a $260-$300 SWFA Japanese made Super Sniper 10x impressed me I'd have to buy a Vortex Viper PST II... IMHO. Viper PST II is pretty nice but so is a Burris RT-6. for like $200 less. Just saying. I own all those I mentioned so I'm not trying to boost the brand I own.
Old 06-18-2018, 5:59 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you like Vortex... the new Crossfire RD-1 is no slouch. I like it. Love the Vortex Sparc AR too. AR mount that is included with the RD-1 is pretty decent too.
Thanks!
Mark 16:16
Old 06-18-2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one backing chinese-made optics. You are. You keep saying they are all the same. I'm the one saying there's a difference.
No, what i am saying is there so many made there, but rebrand. How do folks choose?

Even truglo, PA, and like i mention sight or ncstar all made there. What make it better then one another. But like one poster say, QC.

Last edited by Sambodian; 06-18-2018 at 6:46 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 7:40 PM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, what i am saying is there so many made there, but rebrand. How do folks choose?

Even truglo, PA, and like i mention sight or ncstar all made there. What make it better then one another. But like one poster say, QC.
Specs, fit, finish, materials, QC level...
Old 06-18-2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Specs, fit, finish, materials, QC level...
Yeah that what i was thinking, but i cant buy each one to test it out. Most retail store dont have them. We can get them online but i may have to go through different ones to fine a one that meet the crateria.

For someone new to scope, you dont want them to throw money at it unless they do have it.

I went to the gun store the other day, an old guy walk in and ask what is a good gun. Saler say HK. I was like, what. That is one ugly expensive gun. Even my wife said it and she not a gun expert, let alone held one. He could of say what ur budget and start with that. I would say check out the glock, sw, springfield or even start with a beretta or RIA. It doesnt cost $800 to start. LOL.

My original post was sightmark or ncstar. Not a baller to throw $500 or even $200 on a scope plus rings.

Shyt, i am all over the place. My bad. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

We all know what your original question was, and everybody gave the same answer that neither choice is good.

You talk about going through different scopes to find something that meets your criteria, but have you even said what your criteria is? Have you told us a price range? Have you told us what distance you plan on shooting? Hunting, precision target shooting, or just general purpose? What about reticle type? First focal plane or second? Want illumination? Have you even mentioned what gun it's going on? You've said none of those things.

You keep saying you're a n00b, then you want to keep arguing like you're an expert on optics quality. You've done no research (you didn't even know where Hawke scopes were made!) and want to be spoon fed answers, then when people give you good suggestions you keep arguing with them. If you want to buy crap then buy it. It's your money. But don't try to tell us that the crap you bought is just as good as better stuff. Because many of us have already bought the crap stuff, then when it broke we learned our lesson and bought the better stuff.

You want Japanese glass for under $200? This was already suggested:

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-gra...tte-black.html

review here:
http://www.snipercentral.com/weaver-...cal-3-10x40mm/

You can get cheaper glass, but you'll end up with...cheaper glass.

Last edited by kcheung2; 06-18-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I went to the gun store the other day, an old guy walk in and ask what is a good gun. Saler say HK. I was like, what. That is one ugly expensive gun. Even my wife said it and she not a gun expert, let alone held one. He could of say what ur budget and start with that. I would say check out the glock, sw, springfield or even start with a beretta or RIA. It doesnt cost $800 to start. LOL.

My original post was sightmark or ncstar. Not a baller to throw $500 or even $200 on a scope plus rings.

Shyt, i am all over the place. My bad. Thanks.
HK does make good guns. NCstar and Sightmark are not very good for China made stuff. If you want a cheap red dot get a Bushnell Trs25 or invest more in some better suggestions. Scopes you have a lot of options but plenty of suggestions already.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
HK does make good guns. NCstar and Sightmark are not very good for China made stuff. If you want a cheap red dot get a Bushnell Trs25 or invest more in some better suggestions. Scopes you have a lot of options but plenty of suggestions already.
I am not saying HK a bad gun. I just dont like the look for me at least.

I have the Bushnell red dot. I was looking for a scope to replace it , but didn't want to spend too much. I pick up the leupold VX-Freedom instead of the bushnell AR223.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
We all know what your original question was, and everybody gave the same answer that neither choice is good.

You talk about going through different scopes to find something that meets your criteria, but have you even said what your criteria is? Have you told us a price range? Have you told us what distance you plan on shooting? Hunting, precision target shooting, or just general purpose? What about reticle type? First focal plane or second? Want illumination? Have you even mentioned what gun it's going on? You've said none of those things.

You keep saying you're a n00b, then you want to keep arguing like you're an expert on optics quality. You've done no research (you didn't even know where Hawke scopes were made!) and want to be spoon fed answers, then when people give you good suggestions you keep arguing with them. If you want to buy crap then buy it. It's your money. But don't try to tell us that the crap you bought is just as good as better stuff. Because many of us have already bought the crap stuff, then when it broke we learned our lesson and bought the better stuff.

You want Japanese glass for under $200? This was already suggested:

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-gra...tte-black.html

review here:
http://www.snipercentral.com/weaver-...cal-3-10x40mm/

You can get cheaper glass, but you'll end up with...cheaper glass.
My fault, I didn't even specify. Buying is one. I still haven't figure how to sight it yet either. hahahah. thanks tho.
Old 06-20-2018, 2:06 AM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am not saying HK a bad gun. I just dont like the look for me at least.
Have you seen a HK45, P30, VP9, USP Expert??

I think they look great. I know... subjective, but which ones do you think are ugly. I think the PPQ is pretty ugly, but it is nice shooting.
Old 06-20-2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Have you seen a HK45, P30, VP9, USP Expert??

I think they look great. I know... subjective, but which ones do you think are ugly. I think the PPQ is pretty ugly, but it is nice shooting.
I dont know. I still thnk it ugly. I look at 3, i decline all 3. Sig is a nice and a pretty ones.

PPQ is descent to my eye. It just a mtter of opinions. Hahaha