Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-31-2015, 9:02 AM

I was just at LAX firing range yesterday and the vast majority of shooter were shooting Glock pistols. Since the range does not allow steel cased or aluminum cased ammo, I would guess that a large portion of the brass they get for their reloading business comes from their range... I am sure if "Glock Bulged" cases somehow inhibited their reloading business they would prohibit Glocks on the range as well.

OP, I hope the new recoil spring solves your problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
You must not have a .40. And I never said shooting reloads is dangerous, reloading Glock bulged cases is. The wall gets weakened and can give.
Again, absolute nonsense.
Old 03-31-2015, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himurax13 View Post
Nevermind the fact that bulged brass will not fit in a chamber checker.
It will fit in a resizing die though.

You don't want that area giving.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-31-2015, 9:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, I shall not.

Dented case mouths are a big deal for people who want to reload that brass or want to have a properly working firearm.
Op said he doesn't reload. There's nothing indicating improper function

I'll let you shoot my HKSR9TC sometime, you can tell me how it doesn't function properly.

Those case mouths will be corrected by depriming, at least on every press I've ever used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-31-2015, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nevermind the fact that bulged brass will not fit in a chamber checker.
The so called Glock Bulge is very easily addressed for the shooter that wants to use Glock shot brass in a tighter chamber. It is called a Redding G-Rx die.

I like to shoot my hot 40S&W and 10mm rounds through both my stock Glocks and my 1911's, some of which have very tight chambers. I pass every single 40 and 10mm case through a Redding G-Rx after cleaning but before size and de-prime. This ensures any case I reload will chamber in any gun I own.

This is not rocket science.
Old 03-31-2015, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
The so called Glock Bulge is very easily addressed for the shooter that wants to use Glock shot brass in a tighter chamber. It is called a Redding G-Rx die.

I like to shoot my hot 40S&W and 10mm rounds through both my stock Glocks and my 1911's, some of which have very tight chambers. I pass every single 40 and 10mm case through a Redding G-Rx after cleaning but before size and de-prime. This ensures any case I reload will chamber in any gun I own.

This is not rocket science.
Have you been killed by this highly dangerous practice?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-31-2015, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Again, absolute nonsense.
Keep fooling yourself all you want. This is a well known and documented design flaw.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-31-2015, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It will fit in a resizing die though.

You don't want that area giving.
That case is what is called smiled. That has nothing to do with the generous Glock chamber dimension.

A smiled case is caused by two circumstances. Waaaay to much pressure from an over charge or a malfunctioning gun. Period.

The pictured case doesn't happen in properly functions guns that are loaded with ammo that is loaded to SAAMI spec.

If you are just misinformed, you should become informed before posting this kind of nonsense. If you are informed, I think the kids call this "being a troll".
Old 03-31-2015, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Keep fooling yourself all you want. This is a well known and documented design flaw.

A well documented design flaw? Really?

Dude, millions of rounds are shot through Glocks every year. Kabooms are over charges, period.
Old 03-31-2015, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've seen aftermarket parts allow Glocks to fire out of battery, especially when combined with (incompletely) resized brass and tired recoil springs. .40 has been the worst, and caused blowouts in the area above the ramp.

The generous radius in the Dillon dies can allow the part of the bulge to stay. Other dies can size farther down the case, and this is a good thing.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 03-31-2015, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Have you been killed by this highly dangerous practice?
There used to be an old saying, "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.."

My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."

Close to the edge here brother.
Old 03-31-2015, 9:51 AM

Quote:

You can see it's a double-charge by the printing on the primer.
Old 03-31-2015, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoTsuga View Post
You can see it's a double-charge by the printing on the primer.
The primer would have been pushed out. That case wall failed from being bulged.

Old 03-31-2015, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The primer would have been pushed out. That case wall failed from being bulged.
No, it would not. The breech face prevents that. That's why flattened primers, not blown primers, are a recognized sign of excessive pressure.

Note the rectangle where the primer flowed into the firing pin depression, as well as the narrowing of the joint between the case and the primer, easily distinguishable from the other case.

Stop digging.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-31-2015, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am probably missing some sarcasm here, but for those that don't reload, so don't know any better, dented cases (anywhere on the case) makes no difference whatsoever to reloading. The dies you pass the brass through straighten it out.

There are instances where a case will slam the slide mid body of the case and put a crease that sizing, flaring and crimp dies won't remove, these creases get straightened out by the pressure in the case on the next firing.
Well it seems you are fairly dense.

Properly dented brass is pretty much ruined. Having the top of the slide slammin down onto the neck usually creases the brass, therefore making it an unsafe situation to reload. The creases in the middle may not be as drastic but still unsafe since it is altering the internal volume of the case and that it is not in proper spec.

Even if you manage to straighten it out with a resizing die, then the powder die, you will probably see a remnant of the crease.

If you want to take the the risk, thats on you. I would just toss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.
Old 03-31-2015, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well it seems you are fairly dense.

Properly dented brass is pretty much ruined. Having the top of the slide slammin down onto the neck usually creases the brass, therefore making it an unsafe situation to reload. The creases in the middle may not be as drastic but still unsafe since it is altering the internal volume of the case and that it is not in proper spec.

Even if you manage to straighten it out with a resizing die, then the powder die, you will probably see a remnant of the crease.

If you want to take the the risk, thats on you. I would just toss it.
Instead of arguing about things you clearly know absolutely nothing about, I am just going to recommend to anyone who doesn't know if Jday or himurax13 actually know anything about which they are posting, whether for a Glock or otherwise, just go onto any dedicated reloading forums (there is one here on Calguns, there is an excellent one on Glock Talk Forums, Brian Enos, etc.), maybe posts some of the pictures on this thread and ask the questions.

Is it safe to reload for Glock pistols? 40S&W or otherwise?

Does a dent at the case mouth make the case unsafe to reload?

Post this picture (from the initial posts) and ask them if this brass is unsafe to reload?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lind...2ejdj.jpg.html

Any other disputed questions on this thread.

You will get prompt answers from experienced reloaders and you then know how much these numbskulls know about reloading.

You really take the cake.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 03-31-2015 at 3:45 PM..
Old 03-31-2015, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Instead of arguing about things you clearly know absolutely nothing about, I am just going to recommend to anyone who doesn't know if Jday or himurax13 actually know anything about which they are posting, whether for a Glock or otherwise, just go onto any dedicated reloading forums (there is one here on Calguns, there is an excellent one on Glock Talk Forums, Brian Enos, etc.), maybe posts some of the pictures on this thread and ask the questions.

Is it safe to reload for Glock pistols? 40S&W or otherwise?

Does a dent at the case mouth make the case unsafe to reload?

Post this picture (from the initial posts) and ask them if this brass is unsafe to reload?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lind...2ejdj.jpg.html

Any other disputed questions on this thread.

You will get prompt answers from experienced reloaders and you then know how much these numbskulls know about reloading.

You really take the cake.
Well since you want to be an ahole about it, here are some prime examples of what I toss out.

Now the pics the op posted is probably not much to worry about but tossing out questionable brass is never a bad idea, especially if it is a .40 and has glock firing pin marks on the primer. That is far cheaper than replacing a pistol. I have made well over 200k pistol rounds without any hiccups other than a slighlty undercharged load once in a blue moon. I prefer not having ammo issues while out at the range.

I also prefer running KKM barrels in all of my .40 cal glocks and running recoil springs that are appropriate for my loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.

Last edited by himurax13; 03-31-2015 at 7:41 PM..
Old 03-31-2015, 7:59 PM

Guess I need to stop reloading my Glock then.. didn't realize I was flirting with so much danger!

Old 03-31-2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Wait...I though Glocks were perfect and never had any problems?
LMAO.
Old 03-31-2015, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well since you want to be an ahole about it, here are some prime examples of what I toss out.

Now the pics the op posted is probably not much to worry about but tossing out questionable brass is never a bad idea, especially if it is a .40 and has glock firing pin marks on the primer. That is far cheaper than replacing a pistol. I have made well over 200k pistol rounds without any hiccups other than a slighlty undercharged load once in a blue moon. I prefer not having ammo issues while out at the range.

I also prefer running KKM barrels in all of my .40 cal glocks and running recoil springs that are appropriate for my loads.

You know it is funny. There was a time when childish name calling would get people banded on Calguns. Frankly, if I were a mod I would ban people that persisted in posting bad information (I think they call that trolling), but I guess its the internet where guys can post anything and get away with it.

In any case, what we were talking about all along in this thread were the dented cases that the OP posted in the first few pictures (which I just reposted).

Earlier in the thread, you posted that Glocks produced bulged brass that would not fit in a case gauge after reloading. I explained how that was handled with a Redding G-Rx die. You posted that dented brass from the OP's gun should not be reloaded. I explained I thought you were being sarcastic, as I could not imagine anyone who ever actually reloaded, thinking the brass in the OP's picture could not be reloaded after they had been processed through the normal dies.

After this, you come on and call me dense (something I have to admit I have never been called before). I decide I cannot reason with someone who clearly has not a clue about reloading and so suggested that anyone who might not have already decoded that you might be incorrect about the merit of reloading the OP's brass, should just go on a dedicated reloading site and ask. Basically verifying your knowledge.

Lastly, you come on, call me another pretty immature name and proceed to post pictures of seriously damaged brass and expect me to allow you to change the subject, which was the OP's dented cases. No experienced reloader would hesitate reloading the OP's dented brass.

Here is the deal. I have been loading for a pretty long time, longer I suspect than you have been breathing. You may have reloaded a round or two, but you present yourself as someone who knows what they are talking about on the subject and you clearly are not.

Give it a rest before you say something else really immature (or wrong).

Last edited by Bill Steele; 03-31-2015 at 8:43 PM..
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Well it seems you are fairly dense.:
Quote:
Well since you want to be an ahole about it,
It looks like you're learning curve is a bit of a flat line.

When you return I suggest reading the rules.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What the OP pictured is commonly called a "port ding". It is where the case mouth clipped the ejection port on the way out of the pistol and got a little ding. No Biggy.

If you reload it will disappear during resizing/expanding. If you don't reload it's certainly of no consequence. Literally every stock mil-spec 1911 and 1911a1 I've ever shot leaves this mark on cases. That's why fellas lowered the port and beveled their slides first thing when buying one.

JM2c
Old 04-01-2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
No, it would not. The breech face prevents that. That's why flattened primers, not blown primers, are a recognized sign of excessive pressure.

Note the rectangle where the primer flowed into the firing pin depression, as well as the narrowing of the joint between the case and the primer, easily distinguishable from the other case.

Stop digging.

Thanks, Citadelgrad. I could have expanded on what I wrote initially and possibly negated the need for you to bother doing it, but I thought it was fairly obvious! But then again, there are those who see what they want and not what exists. Thanks for filing in the blanks.
Old 04-01-2015, 2:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
especially when combined with (incompletely) resized brass and tired recoil springs. .40 has been the worst, and caused blowouts in the area above the ramp.

The generous radius in the Dillon dies can allow the part of the bulge to stay. Other dies can size farther down the case, and this is a good thing.
I will agree with eaglemike here. ^^^ I have a dedicated Dillon for .40/10MM and way back in 1993 ish, the Glock 22 and 20 (.40 and 10Mm) had terrible case support (in my opinion) and was a small problem with especially reloaded brass.

Over the years, Glock has increased the case support in the factory barrels at the 6 o'clock position. Now it's a non issue....

BUT......I will second Bill Steele's endorsement of the Redding GR-X carbide full length resizing die. Yeah, its a bit expensive but it fixes the brass like you can't believe and assures every case will run thru your guns.

It's really a 'must have' if you're going to run and reload .40 or 10.

Especially if you use an aftermarket barrel.....which is about .007 thousandths tighter than a Glock factory barrel. Without proper resizing the case will get stuck about half way.....haha. Not funny....

Here it is. Yes, they have a non-carbide version for less money but I use carbide only.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...-sig-10mm-auto

Good luck

Bob.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-01-2015, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

You can also use the Lee Bulge Buster kit with their factory crimp die if you want to save a little money on the GR-X.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882...s-and-w-45-acp

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/289...ProductFinding
Old 04-01-2015, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There used to be an old saying, "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.."

My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."

Close to the edge here brother.
I am so using this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 04-01-2015, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Stock Glock left Lone Wolf right

sent from my bag phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 04-03-2015, 7:16 AM

So I'm having the same issue with my G19 but, with stove pipes occasionally. OP, did changing the recoil spring work for you? I was thinking the extractor but, nothing looks wrong with it.
Old 04-03-2015, 8:29 AM

Definitely the recoil spring. Get a factory spring. The one in there may be too strong. The slide isn't back long enough for the casing to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2015, 9:41 AM

Quote:
The bulge caused by the partially unsupported chamber makes reloading dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
Well that's news to tens of thousands of re-loaders around the world.
Quote:
Complete and utter nonsense.
LEE does sell a BULGE buster die for that purpose
Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM

gun could be a lemon with everything as the issue from tolerances, to extractor to recoil spring, and at worst all at the same time.

I think to solve your problem is to go back in time and ask the seller.. "WHY ARE YOU SELLING IT?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM
CGSSA Leader

Glock fanbois are so brand blind that things like this are acceptable and "common" .....give me a break and face the facts that your Glock just isn't anything special at all.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
Glock fanbois are so brand blind that things like this are acceptable and "common" .....give me a break and face the facts that your Glock just isn't anything special at all.
You can always tell an insecure guy, never passes a chance to get a dig in.

You know nothing about how "common" this is, or even what is causing it. You're just happy that it appears to validate your worldview.

Go ahead, call me a fanboy, then I will tell you what I own. Then you will look even more foolish.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
CGSSA Leader

I don't make excuses for what I own, if it works I keep it, if it has issues I get rid of it, call me foolish if you must to make yourself feel better, but I won't make an excuse for what I have should it not perform.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Glock hater crew is more annoying than Glock fanboi crew iirc
Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
LOL Yep! Nothing useful comes from either.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Since Glocks don't have fulled supported chambers I wouldn't shoot any reloads in them that were shot before in a Glock unless the barrel had been replaced. I replaced my new Glock 30SF barrel with a KKM fully supported barrel so I won't have bulge issues on the cases. Even then I process the cases for all 40 cases to remove any possible bulge before I resize and deprime them.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM

I have a Gen 3 Glock 21SF and never noticed it bulging the case. My G17/19 Gen 3 and Gen 4 also do not cause the issue. I also reload and look at every case (I am a manual single shell loader using the RCBS Rockchucker).

It must be very early Glocks that exhibit this. I like my Glocks a lot but I also like my Sigs and HKs. So I'm not just a Glock fanboy.

I did learn something from all the back and forth. Positive input.
Old 04-03-2015, 1:08 PM
I’m Ugly and I’m Proud
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
LOL Yep! Nothing useful comes from either.
Old 04-03-2015, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
I don't make excuses for what I own, if it works I keep it, if it has issues I get rid of it, call me foolish if you must to make yourself feel better, but I won't make an excuse for what I have should it not perform.
Tell me what the problem is with this Glock, then.

It chambers, fires, ejects, and fires again. What's the non performance?

Dented brass that won't even prevent using it to reload?

Don't suddenly you pretend to be the voice of reason, you have a hard on for Glocks and took a misguided shot. It didn't work out.

Don't pretent to be a victim, I didn't call you foolish, I called you insecure. I did say that if you try to write me off as a fanboy, you're going to look foolish.

I spent more getting my colt commanding officers model to be reliable than I paid for the pistol. There wouldn't be a job called "gunsmith" if complicated machines could be made perfectly every time.

You started claimng this was common in Glocks, but you don't even know what's wrong with it, nor have you done any research to see how common it is.

Shallow. Period.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX