Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 12-28-2016, 8:32 PM

Default Is this a SHOOTING sling?

I've been reading about the differences between a carry strap and a bona fide shooting sling, but I can't say I can pick the shooting sling out of a line-up. I have this sling (photo below.) Will it do the job for Appleseed? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2016, 8:52 PM

That can be made to work, but you'll spend more time and mental energy on figuring out the differences between the slings, and less on learning the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship.

Here's an approach that's guaranteed to work: Go to amazon.com and search for "gi sling cotton" and buy it from either Tech Sights or AmmoGarand. Get the 1.25" width, and get Uncle Mike's quick detach sling loops and swivels in 1.25" too. Mount them on both ends of your rifle stock.

While you're at it, get a set of Tech Sights sights and install them too. Bring at least 3 magazines (10 rounds each) and 3-400 rounds of ammo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 1:58 AM

I agree with bsut. You can also buy direct from the Appleseed store. The GI Web Sling will cost you $15 + shipping generally. It is fast, easy, reliable and will come as standard issue on an M1 Garand along with many other service rifles, and is legal for use in service rifle competitions. Its just an absolutely great piece of gear for $15.

The sling pictured above does appear to have a loop (left side) you can get your arm through for seated positional shooting, and prone, but it looks to me like its going to be way too long once it gets cinched up. So unless that metal buckle that is facing away in the middle has an **easy** and quick length adjustment you can make **while prone and unable to use your support-side hand** as bsut said above, you're going to waste a lot of time and energy monkeying with your sling instead of getting in excellent repetitions of dry fire practice during your prep periods.
Old 12-29-2016, 7:24 PM

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 12-29-2016, 9:24 PM
CGSSA Leader

That bears a sharp resemblance to the Kerr Sling that was originally issued with the M1917 Enfield rifle. See here for a few pictures on how to use it as a loop sling (photos taken from the manual of arms for the rifle).

Having personally owned and used a Kerr sling at a KD day, I found it workable but annoying. Apart from historical accuracy I would encourage you to ditch it for the improved M1 GI sling, as I did, and indeed how the US Army did when the M1917's were pressed back into service early in WWII.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:11 AM

I had a really bad purchasing experience purchasing a sling from Ammogarand. The guy screwed up and kept insisting it was somehow my fault for buying through Amazon. If you have the choice of a couple of options I'd probably choose the one that is not Ammogarand.
Old 02-20-2017, 5:03 PM

I'm not as experienced as the other gentlemen, but fwiw I like this sling:

http://ustacticalsupply.com/quickcuffsnipersling.aspx

The armband part stays on your arm and snaps to the main sling.