Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-31-2017, 7:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default California State Legislature Approves Audit of Concealed Carry Weapon License Program

Kevin McCarty...color me surprised.
This POS has made getting rid of CCW's here his personal crusade.

The California Joint Legislative Audit Committee has approved an audit request by Assemblymember Kevin McCarty (D – Sacramento) to evaluate the negative fiscal impacts and public safety questions raised by Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) license programs in the state.

https://californianewswire.com/calif...ense-programs/

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 03-31-2017, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

How about we study the fiscal impact of useless politicians who don't do anything. Bet we'd save more money and lives...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 03-31-2017, 7:47 AM

Constitutional carry, problem solved.

DV65
Old 03-31-2017, 7:48 AM

So basically they're only auditing Sacramento county since LA and SD are virtually no issue? And where's the public safety issue? Is there a documented incident involving a ccw that put the public in harms way? This is just stupid.
Old 03-31-2017, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller134 View Post
So basically they're only auditing Sacramento county since LA and SD are virtually no issue? And where's the public safety issue? Is there a documented incident involving a ccw that put the public in harms way? This is just stupid.
This is another manifestation of McCarty's ongoing attack on CCW's here in California. Stupid has nothing to do with it, he's had bills killed regarding his persona crusade but that's not going to stop him.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 03-31-2017, 8:05 AM

Study it so they can say it makes more sense to eliminate the program entirely.

How many people will die in Ca. if they can't carry? 100? 200? 20,000?
Not a huge hit.

Are a majority of them Democrats? No, bonus.

Any reason to have a program that costs anything? Nope
Old 03-31-2017, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPuncher View Post
Study it so they can say it makes more sense to eliminate the program entirely.

How many people will die in Ca. if they can't carry? 100? 200? 20,000?
Not a huge hit.

Are a majority of them Democrats? No, bonus.

Any reason to have a program that costs anything? Nope
Exactly...they won't even acknowledge Kate Steinle's death or the 2 LE deaths in the Sacramento due to their coddling of illegals here. They certainly won't acknowledge the part they played in those deaths.

Old 03-31-2017, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Won't change a thing here in San Diego. Here we know what it's like to live in a state without CCW's.
Old 03-31-2017, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

The left in CA will not stop until only LE and the movie industry have guns in this state.

This is just another small step in that anti-2A marathon for them.
Old 03-31-2017, 9:01 AM

I can see his point,
“Taxpayers should not be subsidizing gun owners who want to roam our streets with loaded weapons,”.

NOT.

What a F'ing Douc** Bag
Old 03-31-2017, 9:39 AM

Call and write this *****
+1 (916) 324-4676
https://lcmspubcontact.lc.ca.gov/Pub...istrict=AD07to stop wasting tax payer money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASchell View Post
I can see his point,
“Taxpayers should not be subsidizing gun owners who want to roam our streets with loaded weapons"
How about gun owners should not be subsidizing DOJ's extra-curricular activities with the DROS account?

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:27 AM

I will carry whether or not I have a permit. Ef them.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggles View Post
Make sure your carry gun is REGISTERED !
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You sir is the real MVP
Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtor View Post
Constitutional carry, problem solved.
Exactly.

THEY implemented a program which requires concealed carriers to get a permit, WE never asked for it. THEY have no right to complain about the price of the program THEY started. If fiscal impact is the concern, then fine, THEY can get rid of THEIR permit requirement.

Weighing the safety issue should be a piece of cake. How many shootings by legal concealed carriers resulted in innocent lives lost, versus how many innocent lives were saved by legal concealed carriers? I'm guessing that ratio is higher than 1:1000. I can't think of a single example of a CCW-holder in CA committing a gun crime.

Legal CCW'ers are NOT the problem, why can't they get that through their thick skulls? Why won't they even TRY to reduce gun violence by increasing (instead of decreasing) the penalties for felonies? Using a gun in a crime should be an automatic 20 years or more in prison. They let these violent people out after only a few months because "they're just misunderstood, and deserve a second or third or fourth chance" and then they wonder why gun violence is a problem. Blame the innocent people who are trying just trying to defend themselves and others... that's their answer? Really???

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 03-31-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Old 03-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Exactly.

THEY implemented a program which requires concealed carriers to get a permit, WE never asked for it. THEY have no right to complain about the price of the program THEY started. If fiscal impact is the concern, then fine, THEY can get rid of THEIR permit requirement.

Weighing the safety issue should be a piece of cake. How many shootings by legal concealed carriers resulted in innocent lives lost, versus how many innocent lives were saved by legal concealed carriers? I'm guessing that ratio is higher than 1:1000. I can't think of a single example of a CCW-holder in CA committing a gun crime.

Legal CCW'ers are NOT the problem, why can't they get that through their thick skulls? Why won't they even TRY to reduce gun violence by increasing (instead of decreasing) the penalties for felonies? Using a gun in a crime should be an automatic 20 years or more in prison. They let these violent people out after only a few months because "they're just misunderstood, and deserve a second or third or fourth chance" and then they wonder why gun violence is a problem. Blame the innocent people who are trying just trying to defend themselves and others... that's their answer? Really???
As usual, your comments make a lot of sense.

The problem I see, is that the exercise to audit the permit program probably has nothing to do with improving safety, and everything to do with control. Their end game is to devise reasoning to eliminate CCW state wide, as part of the continuing agenda against civilian gun ownership and use.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Curious about this...are there any cases/precedent of someone getting arrested and charged with illegal possession of a weapon after they stopped some crime or defended themselves?

Or the opposite...someone is illegal CCWing, stops a crime/SD/whatever, police arrest said person, but DA says, 'No...we're not going to prosecute a good samaritan.' ??
Old 03-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

Aren't there a bunch of extra requirements that aren't legally mandated that virtually every issuing county makes permit holders jump through?

That would be a county/sheriff problem, not a California problem. Unfortunately, we all know this investigation will lead to nothing good. If the sheriff had ironed things out before maybe, but now...
Old 03-31-2017, 12:10 PM

What if the report comes back and shows the mismanagement of the programs. As was said, San Diego and LA don't issue so they probably have a surplus and use it for other stupid programs.

Maybe...Just Maybe this will backfire. Of course if it does we will never see it.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 03-31-2017, 12:17 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowimpactuser View Post
Unfortunately, we all know this investigation will lead to nothing good. If the sheriff had ironed things out before maybe, but now...
The funny thing is, it actually might lead somewhere good. If you think about it, there's almost no way they could twist the results of a CCW study to fit their narrative - all of the facts say the opposite of what they want to hear.

Fiscally:
A CCW costs a licensee a LOT of money. First, there's the gun, which the state gets sales tax, FSC fees and DROS fees for. Then, there's the CCW classes, from which the state gets income tax from the instructor fees. Weapons qualifications, which the state also gets income taxes for, plus sales taxes for the hundreds of rounds of ammo required. Then, there's the license itself, which has a multitude of fees involved, which more than cover the administrative costs involved to the issuing agency. Those are just the hard-evidence numerical figures. Add to that the possibility of needing less LEO presence in areas which have well-armed citizens.

Safety:
As mentioned earlier, there is virtually zero safety risk associated with licensed concealed carriers. It's immeasurably low. But the safety benefits have been recorded in great detail, with hundreds (maybe thousands) of violent crimes in CA halted as a result of CCW-holding citizens.

I'm pretty confident that any "study" is going to find all of the above. So this might actually come back to bite them.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 03-31-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

So, how is it Az can issue with a $60 fee with 2 print cards and a one sided app... with NO good cause section??? Add to that it took about 3 weeks from send in to receiving.

If it is this much of a "financial problem" then yes, we need Con Carry. I do have a deep loathing for 99% of Ca politicians.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is, it actually might lead somewhere good. If you think about it, there's almost no way they could twist the results of a CCW study to fit their narrative - all of the facts say the opposite of what they want to hear.

Fiscally:
A CCW costs a licensee a LOT of money. First, there's the gun, which the state gets sales tax, FSC fees and DROS fees for. Then, there's the CCW classes, from which the state gets income tax from the instructor fees. Weapons qualifications, which the state also gets income taxes for, plus sales taxes for the hundreds of rounds of ammo required. Then, there's the license itself, which has a multitude of fees involved, which more than cover the administrative costs involved to the issuing agency. Those are just the hard-evidence numerical figures. Add to that the possibility of needing less LEO presence in areas which have well-armed citizens.

Safety:
As mentioned earlier, there is virtually zero safety risk associated with licensed concealed carriers. It's immeasurably low. But the safety benefits have been recorded in great detail, with hundreds (maybe thousands) of violent crimes in CA halted as a result of CCW-holding citizens.

I'm pretty confident that any "study" is going to find all of the above. So this might actually come back to bite them.
*State findings*

The state finds that the CCW process is grossly inadequate to protect public safety. The average background check for a police cadet candidate costs $3,000. The average spent on CCWs in Sacramento county is $200. This is grossly inadequate to investigate the background of a person to carry a deadly weapon, with less training than a police officer.

There is no evidence that carrying a gun has made the public at large any safer, and numerous CCW holders have nearly created tragedy leaving guns behind in restrooms, forcing the legislature to ban these dangerous carriers of guns from school campuses. Indeed, this increases costs to law enforcement and impacts the public's perception of their own safety.

Finally, the process in Sacramento especially costs more money than it takes in from applicants, even for the cursory and non-thorough background check.

Committee recommends a full, law enforcement style background check for any CCW applicant, costs to be borne by said applicant with no refund for costs if the permit is rejected. Applicant also should attend at least the use of force portions of police academy, costs also borne by applicant. Lastly, upon approval of a permit, the permit holder should post a $5,000 bond to cover any incidental police investigation caused by negligence by the permit holder, so as to make the CCW program revenue neutral, instead of forcing the state to pay for dangerous weapons to be carried by people who aren't thoroughly vetted.

Whose finding sounds more likely from a committee set up by McCarty- yours or mine?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM
CGSSA Associate

FIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
The left in CA will not stop until only LE and the movie industry have has guns in this state.

That is their ultimate goal. They're only keeping LE happy until us peons are disarmed. Then they'll go after LE.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

"Our policy should not be informed by our collective outrage about one man's conduct." AG Kamala Harris referring to San Francisco's sanctuary policy and 7 time convicted felon and illegal alien Jose Ines Garcia Zarate .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9CA
...Nor may we relegate the bearing of arms to a “second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees that we have held to be incorporated into the Due Process Clause.”
Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM

Glad that this is a top priority of our elected officials in the great state of CA.

The cost of administering the CWW program in CA is a rounding error in the budget. He is pulling this stunt not because he cares about the $$ but because he is concerned that there are more people in CA with CCW that are not LEO.

How has this state gone so far off the rails when it comes these types of things??

Crimtide
Old 03-31-2017, 1:06 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimtide View Post
How has this state gone so far off the rails when it comes these types of things??
By liberalism being the latest trendy thing to be. Hopefully someday liberalism will be "too mainstream" and these idiots will find something else to go be activists for.

Old 03-31-2017, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
The left in CA will not stop until only LE and the movie industry have guns in this state.

And California politicians who exempt themselves from the very rules they impose on the masses.

I owe FP something.
Old 03-31-2017, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASchell View Post

What a F'ing Douche Bag
FIFY.
Old 03-31-2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP2MTNS View Post
Curious about this...are there any cases/precedent of someone getting arrested and charged with illegal possession of a weapon after they stopped some crime or defended themselves?

Or the opposite...someone is illegal CCWing, stops a crime/SD/whatever, police arrest said person, but DA says, 'No...we're not going to prosecute a good samaritan.' ??
In another state i could see them possibly letting a person walk. But in CA? Not a chance, you'd be prosecuted to the fullest extent, then get sued in civil court by the family as the cherry on top.
Old 03-31-2017, 2:36 PM

I reside in Stanislaus County and I have a CCW permit issued by the sheriff. IIRC, I paid nearly $200 for my initial permit and $77 at my last renewal. I'm not sure how much the county spent to process my applications.

Taxpayers subsidize many programs they don't use and may not even want so how about we audit every program the state has?

The part that concerns me is the audit looking into the factors the counties use to determine who gets a CCW. More counties have moved to accepting personal defense as good cause but the result of this audit could result in legislation being written that would not allow that.
Old 03-31-2017, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Yup. Constitutional carry has no effect on taxpayers and it is the purest exercise of an enumerated right.

McCarty can pound sand.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-31-2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Yup. Constitutional carry has no effect on taxpayers and it is the purest exercise of an enumerated right.

McCarty can pound sand.
No-issue has no effect on taxpayers and is the purest exercise of a state-sanctioned mandate for safety.

McCarty can destroy issuance.
Old 03-31-2017, 5:50 PM

I wonder how much $ the audit will cost the state
Old 03-31-2017, 6:08 PM

Our only hope in California is national reciprocity. At least for people like me who have valid carry permits from other states. But I haven't heard anything about that particular legislation for a while.
Old 03-31-2017, 7:12 PM

So if previous to McGuinness there was only 300 CCW's issued how much did they cost apiece?

Also how about the cost for LA's 87 CCW's issued and San Diego for the 25 CCW's issued.
Then there's the matter of Bribes paid for these CCW's.

As long as we're doing audits.

I wonder how Texas and Florida do it and California cannot afford to?
Old 03-31-2017, 7:41 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
I wonder how Texas and Florida do it and California cannot afford to?
Arizona even makes a business out of selling CCW's to non-residents for $60 apiece, including an FBI background check and everything! And you even get a fancy plastic card!! In CA, after the $500+ I paid for my CCW, training, and related fees, all I got was a piece of paper that they told me to go home and laminate.

Old 03-31-2017, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Usually, an audit is expected to be unbiased and simply examine information and report conclusive facts. This takes significant time and money.

Fortunately, McCarty has expedited the process by skewing the study parameters (Sacramento/San Diego/Los Angeles) and publishing the study outcomes.
Quote:
“Taxpayers should not be subsidizing gun owners who want to roam our streets with loaded weapons,” said Assemblymember Kevin McCarty. “The dramatic increase of CCW licenses in Sacramento County alone is alarming and presents a number of important fiscal and public safety questions that I am confident the State Auditor will be able to answer. Today’s audit approval by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee sends a clear message to gun owners and the public that responsible private gun ownership should never be subsidized with taxpayer dollars.”
Now, all the Auditor needs to do is find the specific facts which support the specified outcome (and ignore anything else). I could write the report in 15 minutes.

Disclaimer: Personally, I don't "roam" the streets with loaded weapons. But I do keep and BEAR arms in the course of my daily travels.
Old 03-31-2017, 8:06 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
“Today’s audit approval by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee sends a clear message to gun owners and the public that responsible private gun ownership should never be subsidized with taxpayer dollars.”
Irresponsible politicians' salaries and personal vendettas against responsible citizens should never be subsidized with taxpayer dollars.

Old 03-31-2017, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Today’s audit approval by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee sends a clear message to gun owners and the public that efforts to reduce, impair, limit or eliminate responsible private gun ownership should never be subsidized with taxpayer dollars.”
Said no Democrat, ever.
Old 03-31-2017, 8:28 PM
CGN Contributor

how does that guy stay in office? geeze