Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-22-2012, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Mossberg MVP Varmint - Range Report posted

Took a look at the Mossberg MVP Varmint, Big 5 happened to have them on sale through the end of the month. I like the use of standard AR mags, like the stock that would allow a left hander to use it effectively from the bench or a rest. Even though it doesn't come in left hand, thinking about it anyway.

Any actual owners (if your opinions come from reviews or YouTube, thanks but no thanks) out there have an opinion?

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the last one (24" barrel) at my local Big 5 since there will be plenty of time to recharge the savings account before being able to start the .308 build I was considering before all this craziness started. If I like it as much as I think I will, I'll be on the lookout for the 18.5" version later in next year!

Thanks to the MVP owners who came back with info both pro and con!

Range Report in post #23

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 01-11-2013 at 3:54 PM.. Reason: Posted range report
Old 12-22-2012, 5:37 PM

I just saw one of these today for the first time and it is kind of intriguing. I guess they have a predator model as well with a shorter barrel. I really like the idea of the AR magazine for a truck gun. I'm thinking of the times when you are driving along and see something, load up and then get right back in the truck. Sure would be handy to have a detachable mag at that point.
Old 12-22-2012, 6:22 PM

I have the MVP i likes it. Comfy to shoot hits the target when i do my part.
Old 12-22-2012, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, Cadre. Any problem with mag wobble and feeding?
Old 12-22-2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
Thanks, Cadre. Any problem with mag wobble and feeding?
No problem with mags the only thing my doesnt like pmags the others i talked to can. Btw here she is

Last edited by Cadre; 12-22-2012 at 6:46 PM..
Old 12-22-2012, 7:31 PM

I have the 18.5" MVP..it's awesome...I can shoot 300 +\- yards and hit bullseye triple tap...did it twice...I put a Leupold mark ar 3-9x40 mil-Dot...(I don't shoot sitting or standing! I get on the ground ... Lay on my tummy and focus on my breathing, check my mil-dot twice n pull!

My MVP has only been out 3 times...as what Cadre says...it doesn't like pmags...I have to disagree...never had a problem with my Pmags using either .223/5.56 NATO (got 5 different pmags for'em)...no issues, yet! (Maybe, becoz I have an 18.5"?)

I wish I could take it out, but too many side activities going on for the holidays!
Old 12-22-2012, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmikey View Post
I have the 18.5" MVP..it's awesome...I can shoot 300 +\- yards and hit bullseye triple tap...did it twice...I put a Leupold mark ar 3-9x40 mil-Dot...(I don't shoot sitting or standing! I get on the ground ... Lay on my tummy and focus on my breathing, check my mil-dot twice n pull!

My MVP has only been out 3 times...as what Cadre says...it doesn't like pmags...I have to disagree...never had a problem with my Pmags using either .223/5.56 NATO (got 5 different pmags for'em)...no issues, yet! (Maybe, becoz I have an 18.5"?)

I wish I could take it out, but too many side activities going on for the holidays!
Do you have personal Knowledge of what works in his gun? Have you shot it? Have you tried putting pmags in his gun? If not you can't disagree, but they might work in your gun just fine

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 12-22-2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmikey View Post

Nice. Like i said mine doesnt like pmags but others i talked can use them. Pmag use is not a big deal with me coz i dont have any and i dont own any rifles that uses them...but back to the topic. You cant go wrong with the mossberg may it be the mvp or the pred.
Old 12-22-2012, 7:40 PM

I held a carbine in the gun shop today and it was tiny.. Felt like I was holding a youth rifle.. I like the Idea of this gun.. Wish more would do the same.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 12-22-2012, 7:42 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I'm on www.mossbergmvp.com a lot and have the same screen name there also. Its a great little forum on that specific gun.

Its a really accurate rifle for the price. Button rifled, sub MOA accuracy is pretty much the norm with decent glass and even good factory ammo. I get half to 3/4" groups more often than not with Hornady 55gr V-Max ammo. I get about the same with winchester 55gr FMJ. People are getting solid groups, great feeding, decent factory trigger with a little bit of love, and all you need is a good mag, and a ready supply of .223 (which may be a little hard to find right now!)

Good luck, and come on down to the other forum sometime.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

You ever get answers to any of the questions you had?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Sure did, bombadillo, and checked out the MVP forum. It strikes me that even with the "sale" price ($599 IIRC), Big 5 is doing a little price gouging and the purchase may wait until this all blows over. I do want one, though. I'm leaning towards a shorter barrel, though. Nice so see that someone on the MVP forum has come up with a correct barrel nut wrench, that would make it easy to get the barrel length and muzzle configuration that I would like.
Old 12-23-2012, 2:39 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

My only qualm with it was that I wish it had a true heavy barrel instead of a medcon barrel. It really is a great rifle though.
Old 12-23-2012, 2:44 PM

will probably get one when this madness is over.
Old 01-07-2013, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Picked up my MVP today. Wouldn't you know it, the only 1" Weaver rings I had in my junkbox were a set of see-throughs. Thought I had a pair of low Weaver rings, and I did... in 30MM. I hate it when that happens!

Mounted the scope anyway since I should be able to get to the range on Friday and don't know if I'll be able to get a new pair of rings before that. It makes for something more like a "jaw weld", but will do for the moment. The scope is a Simmons 8-Point 3-9X40 out of my optics box (yes, I really do have a lot of excess optics, rings and so forth in boxes!). If the rifle lives up to expectations, I'll treat it to a better quality Nikon scope along with the rings.

20-round Pmags fit and lock into place, although requiring a firm tap on the floorplate to do so. Dummy rounds feed fine, guess we'll see if they function correctly in a couple of days. Aluminum mags fit effortlessly, giving me a wide range of choices to feed this rifle.

The bipod is the inexpensive Blackhawk! offering from Wal-Mart. It went on pretty easy, once I got out the magnifying glasses to read the instructions.

I will post a range report once I've had a chance to wring it out. In the meantime, a photo:

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 01-11-2013 at 3:55 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 5:25 PM

Congrats she's sexy.
Old 01-07-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix168 View Post
will probably get one when this madness is over.
same here.

I really want a ruger scout, but can't justify spending $900+ on a rifle that should cost $600 or so.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-07-2013, 5:42 PM

Imhave the 24" MVP and love it.
The general complaints are the wobbing magwell (which does not affect functioning), wobble in bolt when cocked open (which does not affect functioning) and short lengthen of pull (I took the rubber recoil pad off my Mossberg 500 and screwed it on, it's a close fit) and now it's much better.
Great trigger (adjustable), managable recoil, and very accurate... I recommend you reload if you do not.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I do reload... or rather, I have in the past and have all the gear. It's probably past time I got back into it. Working up a really good load for this rifle will be fun.

No magwell wobble on this one. I noticed the bolt wobble when open, didn't bother me much except when I don't get the bolt draw straight and the bolt drags. That should clear up with more practice, I haven't fired any bolt action in quite some time.

The length of pull is just right for me, but I've always liked a shorter LOP than my physical build would indicate is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
same here.

I really want a ruger scout, but can't justify spending $900+ on a rifle that should cost $600 or so.
There was a Ruger Scout right next to my rifle. Took a look at both, went home and did the research. I pretty much agree with you, except that if Ruger had made it to accept M1A mags, I'd have paid the just under $900 that Big 5 was asking. No way I'd do that for a rifle that needs proprietary mags.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 01-07-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

I really wish the MVP was available with iron sights and a synthetic stock.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorenut View Post
I really wish the MVP was available with iron sights and a synthetic stock.
and in .300 aac blackout (7.62x35)

Eat the rich the poor taste like despair.

FLORIDA It's not the heat it's the stupidity.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER
Old 01-08-2013, 6:30 PM

There is a guy who makes 300 AAC barrels for the MVP.
I agree on the iron sights. I'm sure it's in the works...

I really like mine and its a GREAT VALUE. I suspect I will be shooting it a lot...

Just had a badger bolt knob added by Randall.
Old 01-11-2013, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Got out today and fired the MVP today, here's the range report:

Prior to heading to the range, I had obtained a set of inexpensive medium height Leupold rings to replace the see-through rings, which were much higher than needed, and again bore-sighted the rifle.

Fired approximately 60 round of Federal 55 grain bulk pack ammo, using three different magazines; the factory mag, a well-used 20 round mil-spec aluminum mag blocked to 10 rounds (for use in an AR pistol in CA) and a 20 round Pmag.

Arrived at the range around noon; conditions were partly cloudy, wind about 5-10 MPH, variable direction, and COLD. OK, cold by California coastal standard, in the mid 40's. Even though I was born in New England, I've become acclimatized to the usually mild Northern CA winters... the last few days have been a bit colder than usual. Set up the rifle, set up magazines, range bag, and started to set up my spotting scope when the tripod brutally attacked me, slicing a chunk out of my right middle fingertip. Of course, this occurred right as the rangemaster was calling "safe to go downrange", and so if you see a blood spot amid the mud on the target photos, you know where it came from.

Set the rifle up on the bipod with the butt supported by a couple of ammo boxes, loaded the factory mag, inserted it, worked the bolt, got on target and... click. Failure to feed. Executed a "tap rack bang" drill, paying careful attention to the bolt head as it closed. This time, it picked up a round and fed it smoothly into the chamber. Having bore-sighted the rifle, I was on paper, needing only a few rounds to get on target (Target 1 photo below). The hits on the larger Shoot-N-See over the paper target's bull were made as I sighted in and became accustomed to the rifle.

The bolt action was initially a little rough, but seemed to smooth out after the first few rounds. Once I felt that I had the feel of the rifle, I fired for group on the small target at the bottom of the photo. The 10 ring on that target dot is about 1" in diameter. It's probably the best group I've ever fired at 100 yards.

I continued to fire, testing each magazine in turn. Both the factory magazine and the 10/20 mil-spec magazine fed flawlessly, aside from the factory mag's first failure to feed. The Pmag was a little more problematic; unless I worked the bolt slowly it would sometimes not pick up the next round. As long as I didn't try any speed records with the Pmag, it fed fine. I don't think I'll use Pmags in this rifle though, as I have numerous aluminum mags that will work without problems.

As I continued the process of getting accustomed to the rifle, I made another important discovery... important for left-handed shooters like myself, anyway. In order to fire this rifle, I have to grasp the stock with my left (firing) hand with my thumb on the left side of the stock. At one point, I carelessly let my thumb move too far across the stock while cycling the bolt with my right hand, and the razor-sharp edge of the bolt's cocking piece neatly sliced a collop out of the tip of my left thumb. More bleeding ensued... at least this time I had a Band-Aid on hand!

Not withstanding the accumulation of injuries, the first firing session continued. The wind began to pick up and the temperature fell, and I felt it was time to wrap it up. I fired once more for group, this time in about 10MPH gusty crosswind, obtaining the group below.

The last group that I fired was with 45 grain Remington HP varmint ammo. That group (sorry, no picture) was equally tight and about 1" below point of aim.

Altogether, I'm pleased with my MVP. Now that I have it sighted in and know where to keep my appendages away from, I wouldn't have any problems depending on it to take any game available in my area of the country.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 01-11-2013 at 5:33 PM..
Old 01-11-2013, 4:15 PM

Good review. I wish my savage axis could use ar mags. Makes the mossberg very appealing. Congrats on the new rifle.
Old 01-11-2013, 6:12 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Try some 55gr V-Max next time you're out. If you do your part, your 5 shot group should fit in a dime.
Old 01-11-2013, 6:20 PM

Nice painful review. MVP's are pretty solid. congrats again.
Old 01-11-2013, 7:48 PM

You're a reviewer I trust. Thank you for your posts and your honest assessments. I'm very interested in an MVP - was before, and even more now.

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke
Old 01-11-2013, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

One other really nice touch, since the inletting in the forend area is flat under the barrel...you are just 2 T-nuts away from mounting any type of rail you want to very easily.

I use an Atlas bipod, with the quick release picatinny American Defense mount...so I mounted a picatinny rail on my MVP. The stocks design made this extremely easy to do, now if only my 20 moa EGW rail would get here sooner.
Old 01-17-2013, 4:24 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Got my EGW base today. I got it as a freebie being a mod on mossbergmvp.com, but it would have been well worth the money if I were having to spend it. I've kind of used this as a budget tack driver .223 rifle. I can't ask for any better by any means from something in this price range either. Its consistently delivered 3/4" 3 AND 5 shot groups with Hornady V-Max 55gr rounds. Bang for the buck, for under $700 for my whole setup, I don't know that you can get another centerfire rifle to shoot better.

Here she is with the new base:

Old 01-17-2013, 4:32 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Almost forgot to mention, there is a new MVP variant called the MVP FLEX. We'll see if they put it into production, but it is definitely a prototype at this point.

Old 01-17-2013, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Almost forgot to mention, there is a new MVP variant called the MVP FLEX. We'll see if they put it into production, but it is definitely a prototype at this point.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...mdlno=MVP+Flex

It'll be interesting to see what the street prices will be.

-- Michael
Old 01-17-2013, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Dang. I think I know what my next rifle will be. Definitely if they come up with a version that has backup sights.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:09 AM

I've been wanting one of these for a while... particularly one with a varmint stock and a 24" barrel. The only thing keeping me away was the price.

I found one for sale online, NIB, for less than $600-- tax, shipping, FFL, DROS and all... and there was only one in stock.

"He who hesitates is a damned fool." Guess what? I hesitated.

Aaaaaand it's gone.

I'm a damned fool.