Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-07-2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
When the budget gets tight, in service training is one of the first things to get cut by the administration.
funny how that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCA View Post
That's why, if you look at the Taurus' seats, they look flat compared to seats in other sedans. Generally speaking, a LEO's belt in the 3-to-9 o'clock position has all sorts of crap. Gun & baton/radio at 3 & 9 o'clock, handcuffs behind, maybe OC/Mace spray, latex glove carrier... the list goes on.
I always scope out the belt of the cops in my area. they seem like freakin batman with all the stuff they pack. I spend a bit of time in a starbucks right off the freeway in downtown sacto and Im always looking to see what they are packing. most carry a collapsible baton now but it wakes me think how in the hell the cops handled that big ole beater baton in the past.
being a cop looks tough and that isnt taking into account all the crazy people that have to be dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code33 View Post
This complicates things too much. Officers will be on auto-pilot in a high stress situation and automatically use the non-alert code since it would be regularly used.
good point. code input could be a troublesome ordeal.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post
I always scope out the belt of the cops in my area. they seem like freakin batman with all the stuff they pack. I spend a bit of time in a starbucks right off the freeway in downtown sacto and Im always looking to see what they are packing. most carry a collapsible baton now but it wakes me think how in the hell the cops handled that big ole beater baton in the past.
The 26" standard wooden police baton is what we carried (the PR-24 was just coming out). Some PD's mounted a piece of rubber or plastic tubing inside the front doors, angled down at the front, to retain the batons in the car. (Note: You can see this used in some old episodes of Adam-12). Some agencies didn't and there was just enough room in the door-sill between the seat and frame.

Cops, being cynical, observed that when you stopped someone, you estimated their odds of bolting on foot by their attire. A guy in a 3-piece suit is unlikely to run or run far (mostly to a car). A guy in a company uniform (UPS, Plumber, mechanic) might run, but not well. No, it was always the skinny guy you stopped wearing a T-shirt, jeans and sneakers who would bolt off down the block doing an great imitation of a Gazelle. About half the time you were more than 30 yards from the car too.

Meanwhile, the cop is usually heavier (muscle or not), wearing jump boots or shoes, slacks, uniform shirt, stiff gunbelt, gun, spare ammo, baton, radio, keys, chem spray, handcuffs (sometimes 2 sets), ballistic vest and maybe a jacket. It's a wonder bad guys got caught at all. And some people wonder why cops can be a little rough on perps who run from them!
Old 12-08-2012, 9:59 AM

Good riddance, the crap tolerated on-duty is bad enough. Don't need the BS from the clowns here too. Thx, retired. .
Old 12-09-2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Ahhh, I don't recall chippies being in the "TST" business Ron

Yes, but Chevy is back to making the caprice police car!

Ive driven a few 6.0L Caprices and they're sick fast and handle good.
Old 12-10-2012, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
audiopro74 will no longer be joining us.
Thanks for keeping it clean on here! Always gonna have haters...
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM

Default Tinted CHP car. Bay Area

That was a CHP K-9 Unit. The front windows are not after market tinted. Factory only as the general public would receive. Backs windows are after market tinted darker which makes it seem like the front windows are darker also. The louvers are to dissipate engine heat.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Banned

Tagged

Last edited by tbhracing; 12-17-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-17-2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post
When they wear out, they will be replaced with EXPLORERS. Ford stopped making the Crown Vic.

Close.

They're going with the Ford Police Interceptor Utility because the sedan is too small for their needs.

Semper Fi!

Old 12-20-2012, 2:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire View Post
Even better are the all-white, PCF cars with blacked out windows... sneaky sneaky.

We got one of these in our small town and everyone knows where he hides.He even gave his own niece a speeding ticket he is the talk of the town lol.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 12-21-2012, 9:28 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post
why would an office break out the long gun for a reason other then needing it for some sort of use of force?
If an officer needs to get more familiar with any weapon I would think training should be done before the need to deploy such a firearm on duty.

I think it was an option but my idea is it is a good idea when looking at protection for the officer and protection from a would be thief looking to steal a gun.
If they wanted Im sure they could program multiple codes for a non-alert release to allow removal for cleaning, inspection, ammo checks etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
Dynamo,

it's all theory vs. reality. Hard to explain without writing a thesis on it.
^ This

I broke out the UPR (Urban Patrol Rifle) all the time. Ex: If I'm heading into a building for burglary call with constant alarm activations (meaning the suspects are there and moving around) I want to be in a superior firepower position vs. the suspect. Having a CAR-15 w/12" barrel was just the ticket!
Old 12-21-2012, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
We got one of these in our small town and everyone knows where he hides.He even gave his own niece a speeding ticket he is the talk of the town lol.
Around here, they call the all white cars a "Polar Bear".

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 12-22-2012, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
I need to find a new spot to shoot radar. And it is not hiding, I have to park off the roadway as not to be a road hazard. And she was only a niece by marriage. ;-)
Old 12-22-2012, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Around here, they call the all white cars a "Polar Bear".
We refer to them as a PCF or a SMPV depending on how they were equipped. and what they were designated to target for enforcement. SMPV- specially marked patrol vehicle or PCF - Primary Collision Factor car. They are meant to target PCF violations. Ie speeding, following too closely, unsafe lane changes. At my office they call it the "ghost" or "Casper".

The black and white with tinted rear windows was a K-9. Would have seen the malinois behind the window if not for the tint.
Old 12-26-2012, 3:52 PM

Location: I live in the east bay of the republic of kalifornikazicommie-nia nation

Got a tint ticket when i lived in Alaska, asked the cop, who had darker windows than me all the way around, and he said its for safety....makes it hard to tell if someone is sitting in the car. (moved to cali in 09) In the last 5 years i lived in Ak, we had like 2 or 3 cop shootings, where they were sittin in their cars and someone walked up on em and opened fire. I believe they all survived...the one was shot like 9 times...vest caught 4 or 5...
Old 12-26-2012, 7:49 PM

Not LEO, but know a little about PD cars. Manage and have managed a number of PD fleets including procurement. I'd be totally surprised if the Ford Taurus sedan becomes the patrol unit of the future. It's scary fast, but once you put a cage in it, you simply cannot easily get anyone in or out of the back.

It's so bad, that at a recent well known show, there were at least 7 or 8 at the show, and not a single one had a cage or prisoner seats.

My guess is that the Caprice will fill a lot of the cruiser market, at least whatever the Charger doesn't. Similar platforms, and similar performance. Lots of the officers like the way the Charger looks but the visibility is not great. Caprice is much better from that standpoint.
Old 12-27-2012, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Not LEO, but know a little about PD cars. Manage and have managed a number of PD fleets including procurement. I'd be totally surprised if the Ford Taurus sedan becomes the patrol unit of the future. It's scary fast, but once you put a cage in it, you simply cannot easily get anyone in or out of the back.

It's so bad, that at a recent well known show, there were at least 7 or 8 at the show, and not a single one had a cage or prisoner seats.

My guess is that the Caprice will fill a lot of the cruiser market, at least whatever the Charger doesn't. Similar platforms, and similar performance. Lots of the officers like the way the Charger looks but the visibility is not great. Caprice is much better from that standpoint.
I hated the Charger, but I heard the newer ones were a bit better. Still like the CVPI.