Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheros View Post
Choate's website now presents a picture and product number for the two-shell mag extension kit they offer to Hawk 982 and Pardner Pump owners:

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/MXT/01-04-01
So this one gives you 2 more rounds, OK, but does it end flush with the barrel or extend past the barrel slightly? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM

that won't hold two shells @ 3.5"

Last edited by 9mill; 12-02-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM

this is an approved zombie defense force +2 on a pardner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0900.jpg (91.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by 9mill; 12-02-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mill View Post
that won't hold two shells @ 3.5"
I didn't think so either, that's why I was asking... Lots of conflicting/wrong info in this whole thread.

I'm just gonna buy the damn 3.5-inch one and find out for myself. Will post here.

I'm 98% sure though that the 3.5-inch extension is only going to give you 1 more round of capacity.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post

I'm 98% sure though that the 3.5-inch extension is only going to give you 1 more round of capacity.
are you using new math? haha 2 3/4" shell x 2 = ?
Old 12-02-2012, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
are you using new math? haha 2 3/4" shell x 2 = ?
That's why I said 98% sure, 'cuz I was using NO math...

I'll post a pic here of the Choate 3.5" extension on my Hawk when I get it.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:55 PM

Definitely gonna save for later. Before Choate posted product #01-04-01 on their website, they told me to call to order.

Will want to see how the final product ends up and if it proves to be great, then Im going to buy one.

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 12-03-2012, 6:43 AM

Well, just removing the spring retainer gives you +1 so it's possible with an extra 3.5 , you could get 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Madone View Post
It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:00 AM

Attached is a photo of my Hawk 982s with the Choate 3.5" two-shell extension installed.

Each uses a Wolff spring and Remington follower instead of the Choate spring and follower. Each also has a Speedfeed wave washer for retention. The one at top has a steel Remington spring retainer, and the one at bottom has Choate's polymer retainer, which protrudes from the extension.

Without the wave washer, the extension does not exceed the barrel. With the washer installed, the extension exceeds the barrel slightly.

The magazine's capacity is now seven shells of the 2.75" type (2.3" long). Were this not true, I would not have posted that this is a two-shell extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Choate 2-shell extension Hawk.jpg (94.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
this is an approved zombie defense force +2 on a pardner
At (what many state as) 1" spread for every yard of travel, I assume nothing hits this extension?
Old 12-03-2012, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Eleutheros, thanks for the additional info.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:43 AM

To those that bought this, did you have to change your spring or is it ok to use the stock spring? I have a 982 so i just want to make sure.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Attached is a photo of my Hawk 982s with the Choate 3.5" two-shell extension installed.

Each uses a Wolff spring and Remington follower instead of the Choate spring and follower. Each also has a Speedfeed wave washer for retention. The one at top has a steel Remington spring retainer, and the one at bottom has Choate's polymer retainer, which protrudes from the extension.

Without the wave washer, the extension does not exceed the barrel. With the washer installed, the extension exceeds the barrel slightly.

The magazine's capacity is now seven shells of the 2.75" type (2.3" long). Were this not true, I would not have posted that this is a two-shell extension.
Thanks for sharing the pics Eleutheros! Just had a coupe of questions. Did you go with the wolf spring for reliability reasons? And was there something wrong with Choate Spring and follower? Thanks in advance for your input. I have a Hawk 982 and are looking into add this extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjosh View Post
Wtf. How do you fail with a broomstick, then think it will be easier with a Mexican sausage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking Heavy View Post
I carry a gun. It's a small gun though, to compensate for my enormous pecker.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Newbie question... I have a 982 in 10-day jail. For those who have installed an extension on a 982, do the dimples need to be drilled out, or does the extension just screw on? Tried to find any info on installing this, but came up dry. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM

^^^
Yes, dimples needs to drilled out.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
At (what many state as) 1" spread for every yard of travel, I assume nothing hits this extension?
three gun shotguns run extensions past a couple of inches
Old 12-03-2012, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
three gun shotguns run extensions past a couple of inches
Heck yeah, I've watched some of those 3-gun competitions on Sportsman Channel, and some of those guys look like they're running extensions that stick out a full FOOT past the barrel!
Old 12-03-2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:

Were this not true, I would not have posted that this is a two-shell extension.
If you can figure out how to ghost load that hawk it will be a + 3 extension

Last edited by 9mill; 12-03-2012 at 3:10 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMagnet View Post
Did you go with the wolf spring for reliability reasons? And was there something wrong with Choate Spring and follower?
There's nothing wrong with the Choate spring; the Wolff spring is just superior in strength, as is characteristic of Wolff springs.

As for the Choate follower, its advantage is a shaft that prevents overcompressing the spring but I found its base to be too snug for free travel in the tube; that could be easily fixed by minimal filing and the shaft could be shortened if necessary. But since I was already buying Wolff springs from MidwayUSA I bought orange Remington followers for no extra postage. The Remington and Hawk followers travel freely, and while identical in shape the Remington follower seems more sturdy than the Hawk follower.

The Wolff spring sold by MidwayUSA is 40 inches, whereas at almost triple the price Wolff's Gunsprings website sells a 31.5" spring pre-cut for 7-8 shell magazines. I bought the spring from MidwayUSA, and Wolff told me the length of their pre-cut spring. I cut Wolff's 40" spring to that length.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:30 PM

* update..... I am still waiting on shipping confirmation. I checked with the site and it says allow 7 business days after order before calling to check on it and it has only bee 3. Still anxious to get this and try it out.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Gunner View Post
* update..... I am still waiting on shipping confirmation. I checked with the site and it says allow 7 business days after order before calling to check on it and it has only bee 3. Still anxious to get this and try it out.
Mustang did you ever get a confirmation? Just trying to get an idea on how fast they ship out items.
Quote:
Wtf. How do you fail with a broomstick, then think it will be easier with a Mexican sausage?
Quote:
Old 12-12-2012, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

No email confirmation or anything from them since I placed my order sometime last week.
Old 12-12-2012, 7:51 PM

I just received the package today. There was no shipping confirmation whatsoever. All I got was an emailed receipt of purchase. I placed the order November 28th so it was 2 weeks on the nose to get to me here in central valley California. I have yet to get home and open it but I will post pics soon.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 AM

OK got home and opened the package. First impression was that this must be a used kit as it was not in a plastic blister pack like the website showed but looking further it was a new kit just tossed in a box. I test fit it and it does come about an eighth of an inch shy of being flush with the barel. This weekend I may start a new thread with full pics but for now I must turn in for the night.
Old 12-13-2012, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Mine came yesterday also. I immediately retrieved my Hawk 982 from the safe, disassembled the mag tube into parts, and compared the stock parts to the Choate parts. Differences include:
  • Choate follower is different; it's a plug that sits inside the spring and extends about 1/2 inches beyond it. Therefore, it takes up more room in the mag tube than the stock follower (which is just a cheap plastic cap that sits on the end of the spring, with zero extension beyond).
  • Choate spring is probably 6 inches longer than stock spring. They bent it all up and rubber-banded it to fit in the shipping box. Once unbound, it is far from straight, but I don't think that will affect function any.
  • Finish on the extension is nice and thick; color matches the Hawk pretty well, hard to tell for sure as it was dark outside and my living room is not brightly lit.
  • I was pleasantly surprised to find a bracket and sling mount in the package. I didn't know it came with that (or didn't read it online), so that was a nice surprise.
  • As mentioned above, the extension ends about 1/8" shy of the barrel end. I'm fine with that.
My first thought: No way this will give me +2 using the stock parts as intended, so I didn't even try that. It was obvious that given all the parts before me, the ONLY possible way I MIGHT get +2 is to use stock follower + stock spring + choate extension. So I reassembled the gun that way and guess what?

I got +2 (for a total of 7 rounds in the tube)! Awesome! Boy that sure was easy!

Until I tried to cycle the rounds. First 2 fed fine, 3rd one hung up majorly. Not good, something wrong, not acceptable, so I clear the gun and think: you should reassemble using all of the new parts, just to confirm first that these Choate parts all work fine together as advertised. Once you know that, THEN you can start tweaking it to try to get +2...

So I go to reassembe, using all Choate parts, and to my GREAT SURPRISE, the choate follower will NOT drop into the mag tube! It's hanging up on something... ??? Turns out the Hawk mag tube has 2 little dimples in the end of it! (should have realized that sooner, but my remaining brain cell is not as sharp as it used to be... )

So the only way to use the choate follower is to first dremel out those 2 dimples in the Hawk tube. I immediately thought, "**** it, I'm not doing that tonight." and put all the parts away, for another day. Probably this weekend I will sit down and figure it out.

But there it is. I still think I might get +2 using the stock spring and follower, after I dremel out the dimples, but I won't know for sure until I try it.

At the very least I will get +1, but only AFTER I get rid of the dimples.

NOTE TO CHOATE: You really should include some minimum instructions with your product, and also inform people on your website, BEFORE they order, they will have to bust out the dremel in order to use your product.

I post the results here or in a new thread, with pics, might be a few days though.

Last edited by xrMike; 12-13-2012 at 9:12 AM..
Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Mustang and Mike thanks for the follow up guys, great info and thank you so much for sharing!

The hawk 982 has two detents like the 870 express. Most people just drill them out and then apply some cold blue to keep raw metal from rusting.

This video gives you the basic idea on what needs to be done to add the extension: I believe the guy in the video is a calguns member.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BulletMagnet; 12-13-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Old 12-13-2012, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

It amazes me how much an extension cost. probably more than my sidesaddle lol.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 12-13-2012, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Talking rofl too funny

LOFL Mike I' am confused how ya have 6,000 + posts and didn't know about the dimples? Spend much time in the off-topic?

George Orwell

Old 12-13-2012, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, I did add some value to this thread, which is more than your dumb-*** can say.
Old 12-13-2012, 4:45 PM

still no pics???

"It amazes me how much an extension cost. probably more than my sidesaddle lol."
- me too,considering you can get +1 just by removing the spring retainer.
Quote:
I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
Quote:
It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.
Old 12-13-2012, 6:47 PM

Sorry .... I will post pics up this weekend Socom. I have to upload them to photobucket first
Old 12-13-2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry .... I will post pics up this weekend Socom. I have to upload them to photobucket first

Good deal bro, gratz on the new extension.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM

OK, here are a few pics for everyone. I may do a quick write up about it this weekend if there is any interest.

Old 12-14-2012, 7:26 AM

Boy does that packaging suck! Sez something about choate.
Old 12-14-2012, 8:06 AM

Quote:
OK, here are a few pics for everyone. I may do a quick write up about it this weekend if there is any interest.

Looks good buddy! Did you use the follower that was included in the package too or will the stock follower be fine?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Grats bud looks good.

George Orwell

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Good update regarding the Choate mag extension. Too bad the packaging looked like it got thrown together last minute.

As for the perfect +2 combination, after dremeling out the dimples of course, what spring and followers works best? The stock setup or the one supplied by Choate? Or a combo of both?
Old 12-15-2012, 2:38 PM

Oh BTW, already ordered my mag extension from Choate. Will attempt to dremel the dimples later tonite.

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 12-15-2012, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Success! The choate +1 is really a +2 if you use the stock follower only, in combination with either the choate spring or the stock spring. Any pairing of springs with the choate follower gives you +1 only. And you HAVE to drill the dimples, no way around that if you want +2.

I now have an 8-round Hawk 982 my brothers.

Well, it cycles just fine fully loaded with either spring, but we'll see what actually happens on the range some day soon. Choate spring makes the last shell a little hard to load. Stock spring is like butter.

I will post detailed instructions + pics in this or a new thread in a day or two.