Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-07-2012, 3:21 PM

Default Always remember the 7th of December

After FDR weakened the military with "the new deal" Japan bombed a neutral country without an official declaration of war.
Idiots grouped our ships and planes together close so they could watch over them with less people fearing sabotage.
Those of us that have been to Japan see the yearly celebration of their Pearl Harbor attack
Old 12-07-2012, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post
After FDR weakened the military with "the new deal" Japan bombed a neutral country without an official declaration of war.
Idiots grouped our ships and planes together close so they could watch over them with less people fearing sabotage.
Those of us that have been to Japan see the yearly celebration of their Pearl Harbor attack
Really?!

Well, Happy Hiroshima Day, Japan!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 9:46 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I was stationed at Hickam for six years. The building I worked in (PACAF HQ) had 7.7MM and .20MM holes from the Zero's in the sides of the building and in the interior. I used to count the bullet holes in the stairs as I climbed my way up to my office. Really hit home in regards to what happened that day.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Never forget dec 7th. RIP
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM

I'm not going to defend Japan in any means, but we were hardly neutral to them during that time if you read up on the history. We had a very effective blockade that was limiting their ability to expand their empire. Sooner or later it was going to lead to conflict and the military knew it.
Old 12-08-2012, 3:46 PM

My grandfather, a Shipfitter First Class, was a Pearl Harbor survivor. When grandma died, at the age of 92 a few weeks ago, I got the honor of receiving his ribbons and medals.

It wasn't until I was an adult, also in the Navy (because of him) that I realized his Pacific Campaign ribbon had FIVE clusters on it. He went on SIX sea deployments during WW2, aside from surviving Pearl Harbor, which was a hell of a story alone.

Later, I discovered his cover (hat, of course) which read U.S.S. Indianapolis. He had also spent some time on the Arizona, just prior to the attack.

No surprise, with what is now known as PTSD that he drank himself to death. I was only 10 when he died, yet even then, when I saw the turnout at his funeral and the various military / VFW colorguard members I knew then... I too, would serve this nation.

Now, as an adult, who has been overseas and served nearly 10 years myself... I can't help but feel like a fraud following in his legacy.

God bless you grandpa & all veterans who have came before me.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddos View Post
I'm not going to defend Japan in any means, but we were hardly neutral to them during that time if you read up on the history. We had a very effective blockade that was limiting their ability to expand their empire. Sooner or later it was going to lead to conflict and the military knew it.
What, we wouldn't sell them oil. Yeah, that's hostile.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Default Japan celebrates Pearl Harbor day

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
Really?!

Well, Happy Hiroshima Day, Japan!!!
Let me clarify this because I misspoke but not really. We were restricted to based during DEC 7 because there were certain factions that did in fact celebrate. It's not an official holiday there are not little Japanese school kids burning a US flag with 48 stars.
From what i could see from the TV was there were marches and people waving banners.
Old 12-10-2012, 7:58 AM

In several years WWII will be as far behind us as the Civil War is behind WWII.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM

My uncle was stationed at Schofield Barracks during the attack. He went on to become a Navy UDT. My father enlisted on December 14th 1941. Just enough time to give notice to his job and left for North Africa around the summer of '42.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 AM

Not really my place to say, since I never served militarily. But we were actually blockading oil & raw materials from getting to Japan that ran their military/industrial growth thereby strangling their economy, & we armed the Burmese & Chinese who were fighting against the Japanese empire building. So we were at least in a proxy war stance w/ Japan long before the bastards took advantage of our arrogance, and false sense of "Neutrality" security. Of course, even Yamamoto argued against the Pearl strike, saying famously, "We will merely poke the lion awake." Thank God our Carriers were out from port.