Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-10-2012, 6:04 PM

Default Middleman in Private Sale

I am looking to purchase a firearm from a private seller, though I am away and unable to do a the purchase in person. Is legal to use a middleman (i.e. a family member) to physically deliver funds to the seller, and then have the seller transfer the gun to the FFL to be put into storage until I am able to receive and DROS the firearm? Would it simply change from a private transfer to an FFL transfer? Any information is appreciated.

Last edited by Semper Fidelis; 12-10-2012 at 6:07 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 8:42 PM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

can't do it that way. The buyer neads to fill out all the paperwork. then you must wate 10 days (240 hr's) and you must also pick up the idem with in 30 days.
650315two two10

M-F 9:30-6:30
Sat-Sun 9:30-4:00

http://coyotepointarmory.com

Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

It does not matter who pays, all that matters is that the person who does the transfer is the actual purchaser/transferee. Who pays may be a sign that it is a straw purchase, but it is just a warning sign, not an actual issue.

if the FFL were to have the seller fill out a DROS worksheet, then it could still be a PPT, otherwise it would be a dealer transfer. Of course, the FFL would need to agree to all of this, but it is legal.

A consignment sale of a handgun which is not on the certified list is basically done the same exact way.

The waiting period and 30 day limit starts when the DROS is submitted. For example, a FFL could sell at a gunshow and have the person fill out a DROS worksheet (if there is no Internet access) and then go back to their location and enter in all the data for the DROS, at which point the waiting period would start.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Most of this depends on what kind of firearm it is.

For long guns, I would have no problem with a seller bringing in a gun and saying so and so is going to come DROS this when he gets back from vacation. I probably would just run it as a transfer when the person (you) get back, but charge it as a PPT.

For handguns, it gets trickier because of the roster of approved handguns for sale. If it is not on the roster, the only easy way to do it is to run it as a PPT. Which I could still have the seller provide all of that information on a DROS worksheet and sign and then run the DROS when the buyer (you) come in at a later date. However, that is a lot of work for a $10 charge and to store your firearm.

True the storage isn't much more of an issue on a long gun, but I don't have to deviate from my usual procedures and running PPT long guns as a regular transfer is actually easier than a PPT.

The only downside is if the buyer is denied, then the gun cannot go back to the seller without a new DROS since it was not processed as a PPT.

Your best bet is to ask your local dealer how they will handle it. Or simply see if the seller will take your money and hold onto the firearm until you return.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
until I am able to receive
What is the timeframe?

Btw Semper Fidelis I don't think much of your using that name or avatar. Real Marines would not.
Old 12-11-2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
What is the timeframe?

Btw Semper Fidelis I don't think much of your using that name or avatar. Real Marines would not.
Well the time frame would be several months for when I return from Afghanistan. And as far as real Marines using this username, there is at least one who is proud to.

And the weapon in question is a Curio and Relic 1911.
Old 12-11-2012, 5:44 PM

The 1911 is a C&R? Then what do you need to use the FFL for? Just have your family member pick it up for you.
Old 12-11-2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischiefmatt View Post
The 1911 is a C&R? Then what do you need to use the FFL for? Just have your family member pick it up for you.
Because C&R pistols are not cash and carry eligible. The process for purchasing one is the same as any other handgun, however if they are C&R, they are exempt from the CA approved roster.
Old 12-11-2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Real Marines would not.
Says who?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 12-11-2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf the Red View Post
Says who?
Respectfully, Rudolf, I don't think this is the thread to discuss matters of what real Marines would do. I would happily discuss the Corps with the Sir up in Ukiah over a couple of beers or boxes of .45 on the range. Hell, I'd even do it in Chucks as long as my shirt-stays don't ride up my crotch. But right now I am just trying to get my 1911. LOL
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
Well the time frame would be several months for when I return from Afghanistan. And as far as real Marines using this username, there is at least one who is proud to.
Your turn Paul. When and where did you serve?

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation