Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-09-2012, 9:20 PM

Default Question regarding stripped lower and airports

Hi,

I'm traveling to So Cal and was thinking about picking up a lower while I'm out there (I'll be there a couple of weeks) and was wondering what would I have to do when I fly back to the Bay Area? Is the stripped lower considered a firearm that I would have to declare at the airport? Or would it be best just to mail it to myself via FedEx? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:22 PM
CGN Contributor

yes, a stripped lower is a firearm that you ahve to declare.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:47 PM

ke6guj is correct. You need to declare it and lock it in your luggage. Why don't you save yourself some trouble and get it in the Bay Area? Unless you are going to build the rifle down south.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I would buy them here but the LGS in my area don't have the lowers in stock or at very inflated prices.
Old 12-10-2012, 5:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer

USPS priority mail is just under $5 to ship it from wherever you are in So Cal straight to your domicile in Nor Cal. I would just ship it. They fit great in those smaller sized priority mail boxes.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-10-2012, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
USPS priority mail is just under $5 to ship it from wherever you are in So Cal straight to your domicile in Nor Cal. I would just ship it. They fit great in those smaller sized priority mail boxes.
That sounds like a good way to go to jail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Close to the edge here brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 12-10-2012, 6:19 AM
Calguns Addict

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Old 12-10-2012, 7:44 AM

As a dealer I can mail via USPS to another dealer. But for long guns such as the receiver in question, USPS says follow the GCA which I believe allows mailing to oneself.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post

I don't deal with "sounds". I actually know the law. Show where it is illegal to ship a long gun or receiver to yourself in postal regulations.

You can mail firearms to yourself. You cannot mail handguns through the USPS. A stripped lower receiver is not a handgun.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM
CGN Contributor

IIRC, the actual regulations say that the public can't mail "concealable" firearms. they don't actually say handguns or rifles/shotguns.

is a stripped receiver a "concealable" firearm?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I don't deal with "sounds". I actually know the law. Show where it is illegal to ship a long gun or receiver to yourself in postal regulations.

You can mail firearms to yourself. You cannot mail handguns through the USPS. A stripped lower receiver is not a handgun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
IIRC, the actual regulations say that the public can't mail "concealable" firearms. they don't actually say handguns or rifles/shotguns.

^^ this, I would just declare it in my checked bag, or ship it UPS / FedEx, remember you can't carry a gun (a lower is a gun per the law) onto USPS grounds.
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Quote:
More what? More crazy?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
^^ this, I would just declare it in my checked bag,
I think this would be the easiest and cheapest.

Quote:
or ship it UPS / FedEx, remember you can't carry a gun (a lower is a gun per the law) onto USPS grounds.
you can, for lawful purposes. mailing a firearm (that otherwise complies with the mailing regulations) is a lawful purpose that one can take a firearm onto USPS grounds.

Old 12-10-2012, 3:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post

Yes I was reading that too. Whose definition of concealable?

Old 12-10-2012, 9:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
^^ this, I would just declare it in my checked bag, or ship it UPS / FedEx, remember you can't carry a gun (a lower is a gun per the law) onto USPS grounds.
Then why do they allow you to ship them?
Could it be because there in an exemption in the law for "official purposes" like mailing them.
Why do people spread "sounds like" FUD when you can find the actual truth online in a matter of minutes?

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/232-1-conduc...perty-19777182
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432 Mailability
432.1 General
The following conditions apply:

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.

The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.

Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.
Exhibit 432.1

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 12-10-2012 at 9:19 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 4:31 AM
Veteran Member

I never said it was illegal, I just said it sounds like a bad idea. Easier to have it in a checked bag.
Hell I tried to ship a handgun at a Fedex (overnight) they came Unglued, ended up having my LGS send it in.

Quote:
More what? More crazy?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I never said it was illegal, I just said it sounds like a bad idea. Easier to have it in a checked bag.
Hell I tried to ship a handgun at a Fedex (overnight) they came Unglued, ended up having my LGS send it in.

Actually you said

Quote:

Old 12-11-2012, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

People go to jail everyday even though they didn't do anything wrong/illegal

Quote:
More what? More crazy?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
People go to jail everyday even though they didn't do anything wrong/illegal

Do you have any specific cases to back that statement up? Showing specific cases for the last 365 consecutive days would convince me that people go to jail everyday for lawful activity.

You can go ahead and use any specific examples, I don't care if they are not specifically people taking firearms to the post office, but obviously links to those news stories would bolster your claim.