Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-10-2012, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Valid CA DL becomes invalid-No Go for HG...

I took my 22 year-old nephew to a shop this past weekend to buy a brand new handgun. Listed on Roster, no problem here.
My nephew just got his Class A CDL last week. The DMV punched a hole in his old DL and gave him a Temporary License too include the Class A CDL. He has both in his possession.
The FFL denied the transaction because they claim his picture DL is no longer valid because of the hole punched in it and they cannot accept the temporary license because it does not have his picture on it. They cannot combine the 2 documents. My nephew had his secondary proof of residence and also offered his Passport. The passport was denied because it is issued by the Fed, not the state.
My nephew was told too come back when he gets his new license with a pic on it.
Obviously, my nephew has a current license that now allows him to legally operate an 80K# Big rig, but he cannot buy an HG.
Do any of you FFL's know a way to do this transaction?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 12-10-2012, 4:31 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
basically he has to wait until he gets a new picture DL in the mail.

some people get a CA ID along with the DL so that they have another acceptable piece of identification if something happens to the DL (such as suspended, expired, hole punched in it, etc).

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-10-2012, 4:47 PM
CGN Contributor

at least he shouldn't have to wait long for the new DL. I think CA DMV is shipping them out in a week or two. There was a time earlier this year or last where people were waiting months for the new DLs to be sent out. DMV had gone to a new format (REAL ID act compliance IIRC) that the vendor was having issues getting acceptable IDs.

People were howling about being delayed for months to buy a new gun.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

If he was in the military with a military ID and CA orders, then he could do the transfer. Otherwise, there is nothing which can be done until he gets a valid CA ID/DL.

For the future, if he were to have gotten a CA ID, then he could have used that. He could still request one, but most likely it would not be received any faster than his DL. While it is stupid, the paper copy is not acceptable to CA, even with another government issued ID, such as a passport.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Legally the only way is for the nephew to wait until his new ID comes in. That is the only answer outside of him being in the military.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation