Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2012, 4:33 PM
sundayduffer's Avatar
sundayduffer sundayduffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 529
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default Help!!! Taxes !!!!!

Ok. Ive read all the threads about BOE sales taxes, but they are so confusing and am totally lost. I was hoping that you FFLs can clear this up in normal language please. Thankyou.

1. I purchased a shotgun thru an online retailer from out of state. He did not charge me tax. I think i have to pay taxes when i come in to dros my gun, correct?

2. I purchased a shotgun thru a private party from out of state. He used his FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying that this is a private sale. Do i have to pay taxes on this gun?

3. I purchased a shotgun from a private party (in-state or out-of-state). He mailed the gun himself by not using his FFL. Note of sale transaction included. Do i have to pay tax?

4. I purchased a shotgun from a private party in-state, but he also used an FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying this is a private party sale. Do i have to pay tax on this?

5. I traded a gun with a private party (in-state / out-of-state) no money involved. Included is a note saying that it was a straight swap. Whats the taxing rule on this?

These are just scenarios. I hope you can clarify these situations for me please. Thankyou.

Last edited by sundayduffer; 12-10-2012 at 4:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2012, 8:56 AM
sundayduffer's Avatar
sundayduffer sundayduffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 529
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

TTT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2012, 9:30 AM
halifax's Avatar
halifax halifax is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mendocino County
Posts: 4,418
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayduffer View Post
Ok. Ive read all the threads about BOE sales taxes, but they are so confusing and am totally lost. I was hoping that you FFLs can clear this up in normal language please. Thankyou.

1. I purchased a shotgun thru an online retailer from out of state. He did not charge me tax. I think i have to pay taxes when i come in to dros my gun, correct?
Correct

Quote:
2. I purchased a shotgun thru a private party from out of state. He used his FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying that this is a private sale. Do i have to pay taxes on this gun?
Yes

Quote:
3. I purchased a shotgun from a private party (in-state or out-of-state). He mailed the gun himself by not using his FFL. Note of sale transaction included. Do i have to pay tax?
In-state...NO
Out-of-state...YES

Quote:
4. I purchased a shotgun from a private party in-state, but he also used an FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying this is a private party sale. Do i have to pay tax on this?
NO

Quote:
5. I traded a gun with a private party (in-state / out-of-state) no money involved. Included is a note saying that it was a straight swap. Whats the taxing rule on this?
I believe so on the out-of-state.

Quote:
These are just scenarios. I hope you can clarify these situations for me please. Thankyou.
__________________
Jim


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2012, 9:36 AM
sundayduffer's Avatar
sundayduffer sundayduffer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 529
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Thx Jim.
Quick question on the swap trade. The ffl will determine the value of the firearm to tax?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2012, 9:41 AM
halifax's Avatar
halifax halifax is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mendocino County
Posts: 4,418
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayduffer View Post
Thx Jim.
Quick question on the swap trade. The ffl will determine the value of the firearm to tax?
If the dealer believes tax is owed then yes since it will be him that has to pay it.
__________________
Jim



Last edited by halifax; 12-11-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:28 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.