Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-10-2012, 4:33 PM

Default Help!!! Taxes !!!!!

Ok. Ive read all the threads about BOE sales taxes, but they are so confusing and am totally lost. I was hoping that you FFLs can clear this up in normal language please. Thankyou.

1. I purchased a shotgun thru an online retailer from out of state. He did not charge me tax. I think i have to pay taxes when i come in to dros my gun, correct?

2. I purchased a shotgun thru a private party from out of state. He used his FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying that this is a private sale. Do i have to pay taxes on this gun?

3. I purchased a shotgun from a private party (in-state or out-of-state). He mailed the gun himself by not using his FFL. Note of sale transaction included. Do i have to pay tax?

4. I purchased a shotgun from a private party in-state, but he also used an FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying this is a private party sale. Do i have to pay tax on this?

5. I traded a gun with a private party (in-state / out-of-state) no money involved. Included is a note saying that it was a straight swap. Whats the taxing rule on this?

These are just scenarios. I hope you can clarify these situations for me please. Thankyou.

Last edited by sundayduffer; 12-10-2012 at 4:35 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 8:56 AM

TTT
Old 12-11-2012, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayduffer View Post
Ok. Ive read all the threads about BOE sales taxes, but they are so confusing and am totally lost. I was hoping that you FFLs can clear this up in normal language please. Thankyou.

1. I purchased a shotgun thru an online retailer from out of state. He did not charge me tax. I think i have to pay taxes when i come in to dros my gun, correct?
Correct

Quote:
2. I purchased a shotgun thru a private party from out of state. He used his FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying that this is a private sale. Do i have to pay taxes on this gun?
Yes

Quote:
3. I purchased a shotgun from a private party (in-state or out-of-state). He mailed the gun himself by not using his FFL. Note of sale transaction included. Do i have to pay tax?
In-state...NO
Out-of-state...YES

Quote:
4. I purchased a shotgun from a private party in-state, but he also used an FFL to send the gun to my FFL. He also included a note saying this is a private party sale. Do i have to pay tax on this?
NO

Quote:
5. I traded a gun with a private party (in-state / out-of-state) no money involved. Included is a note saying that it was a straight swap. Whats the taxing rule on this?
I believe so on the out-of-state.

Quote:
These are just scenarios. I hope you can clarify these situations for me please. Thankyou.

Old 12-11-2012, 9:36 AM

Thx Jim.
Quick question on the swap trade. The ffl will determine the value of the firearm to tax?
Old 12-11-2012, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayduffer View Post
Thx Jim.
Quick question on the swap trade. The ffl will determine the value of the firearm to tax?
If the dealer believes tax is owed then yes since it will be him that has to pay it.

Last edited by halifax; 12-11-2012 at 10:20 AM..