Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-08-2012, 1:19 PM

Default 9mm AR problems...

Hi guys,

Finally got a chance to shoot my recently built 9mm AR. Ran great when it ran. The problems where the following:

1) Buffer won't bounce back after last round (bolt open). I would have to complete separate the upper from the lower to get the buffer to spring back. Can't figure out if it's catching on the buffer catch pin. It's a 9mm Heavy buffer. Thinking of switching it out with a ST2 to see if it makes a difference.

2) Got a bunch of FTFs and FTEs. It looks like the bullet is jammed hard into place, there's a pretty significant dent in the top of the bullet. RO says 99% mag issues. I'm using ProMag 10 rounders which I've heard where hit or miss. Any other available 10 rounders. Might as well built a DDLES glock lower now if it doesn't fix the problem.

Other than sorting these two big issues, it was awesome to shoot. Felt like shooting my buddies 15-22.

Oh yeah, lower is a CMMG dedicated with a JSE upper and CMMG bolt if that helps any with diagnosing the issue.

Help is much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2012, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

wait.. the buffer stays back in the tube compressed on the last round?
Old 12-08-2012, 1:54 PM

Buy my ASC mags. Explain the last round problem again? The promag mags suck. The magwell by them is ok. Which buffer? A RRA type or spikes type?

Last edited by bonesurf; 12-08-2012 at 1:56 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 2:24 PM

Sorry for the crappy description. After disenganging the bolt catch, the bolt won't fully return.

Finished taking the rifle apart. Looks like there was a pretty significant burr on the inside of the buffer tube. I guess it was either catching the spring or getting hung up on the bolt cuz there's a nice scratch on the bolt. After clearing out the culprit, seems to function check fine.

Just gotta figure out what's causing the dents in the bullets. Feedramp issues?

@bonesurf - using the 9mm Q buffer and spring from heavybuffers.com

Update: added pics for clarification.

Can smooth out the feed ramp to get rid of the sharp corner?
Another thing I found, looks like the buffer catch pin is all bent out of shape? Too strong buffer and spring?
Can anyone tell me if the ejector is in the correct place with the bolt face?

Thanks again!

Last edited by mike_c70; 12-08-2012 at 3:09 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 3:22 PM

Your bolt retaining pin looks wrong/bent to me. I will check my bolt tonight. Your feedramp is that scratched up????? Why?????

The promag a have a bad rep. Colts. ASC.
Old 12-08-2012, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

As far as the buffer retaining pin, it's crap now. Looks like the bolt is going too far back and then when it comes forward the buffer is slamming into the retaining pin. Either 7 quarters, a delrin spacer or a longer 9mm bolt to solve for that. Will probably also solve for future broken bolt hold open levers.

As far as feeding issues, make sure your ejector is riding really close to the slot in the bolt. You want it running as close to the top and to the center side of the grove in the bottom of the bolt. Quite often these have to be adjusted when working on getting a 9mm to run. In answer to your question, it needs to be higher in the groove. Can't tell if it is riding close enough to the wall of the channel.

As far as dented bullet tips. Feed ramp would be a start and make sure mags are sitting high enough in the block. As for mags, I would recommend metalform. I have some c products which are now MSC and they can be hit or miss.

Last edited by Intimid8tor; 12-08-2012 at 4:06 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 3:59 PM

Did you buy that AR complete or did you put it together yourself? I only ask if purchased complete, take it back should have warranty I'd imagine. Or if put together yourself, if you feel comfortable doing it and know how, round off those edges if that will help. Not saying it will, I've never experienced feeding issues. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 4:34 PM

@bonesurf - Wasn't sure what a 9mm feedramp should look like. That's what I'm trying to figure out as well.

@Intimid8tor - figure the pin was scrap metal. As mentioned I got the spring and buffer from heavybuffers.com per recommendations from the board. Should I swap out and got with a regular carbine spring and buffer? Or is this purely a spacing issue? You mean add a delrin spacer to the other end of the spring?
How do I get the mags to sit higher when it's a dedicated lower?

@ glock 357 - Upper was bought completed from jsesurplus (incl cmmg ramped bolt). I just swapped out the handguard. Lower is a dedicated CMMG lower. I put the LPK in myself.

Where do I find 10rd metalforms? Don't think they even make them.
Old 12-08-2012, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c70 View Post
@bonesurf - Wasn't sure what a 9mm feedramp should look like. That's what I'm trying to figure out as well.

@Intimid8tor - figure the pin was scrap metal. As mentioned I got the spring and buffer from heavybuffers.com per recommendations from the board. Should I swap out and got with a regular carbine spring and buffer? Or is this purely a spacing issue? You mean add a delrin spacer to the other end of the spring?
How do I get the mags to sit higher when it's a dedicated lower?

@ glock 357 - Upper was bought completed from jsesurplus (incl cmmg ramped bolt). I just swapped out the handguard. Lower is a dedicated CMMG lower. I put the LPK in myself.

Where do I find 10rd metalforms? Don't think they even make them.
RRA makes a dedicated spacer that fits in the end of the buffer tube to stop overtravel. The same can be accomplished with 7 quarters if using a standard 9mm buffer. Looks like spikes sells a spacer that can be put in as well.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...9mm-p-235.html

The goal is to stop the bolt from traveling too far back and then coming forward with a head of steam bending and breaking stuff. I run a spikes ST-9x which is a long buffer. I don't think you want to go just to a standard carbine buffer. All of this is assuming you are running a carbine tube and not a rifle tube.

As for magazines, forgot about the 10 round deal. You could try colt and see if they make 10 round or go with MSC. I did find their 10 rounders were more consistent than the larger capacity.

Tough to get the mag to sit up higher since it is dedicated. I would probably speak with cmmg. Are the feed ramps pressed all the way down? It seems the ramp is the issue with the bullet denting.
Old 12-08-2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
As far as the buffer retaining pin, it's crap now. Looks like the bolt is going too far back and then when it comes forward the buffer is slamming into the retaining pin. Either 7 quarters, a delrin spacer or a longer 9mm bolt to solve for that. Will probably also solve for future broken bolt hold open levers.

As far as feeding issues, make sure your ejector is riding really close to the slot in the bolt. You want it running as close to the top and to the center side of the grove in the bottom of the bolt. Quite often these have to be adjusted when working on getting a 9mm to run. In answer to your question, it needs to be higher in the groove. Can't tell if it is riding close enough to the wall of the channel.

As far as dented bullet tips. Feed ramp would be a start and make sure mags are sitting high enough in the block. As for mags, I would recommend metalform. I have some c products which are now MSC and they can be hit or miss.
I did the 7 quarter trick, but thought that was to keep the overtravel of the bolt down so that the bolt release does not get the crap beat out of it. The bolt is supposed to keep the buffer from smashing into the buffer stop pin. Mine pushes the buffer back just slightly when I close the rifle. My pin just keep the buffer from flying out when the rifle is taken apart. Sounds to me like he got an out of spec bolt, and it may explain the feeding issues as well. Op, do you have calipers that you could measre the OAL of the bolt? Post up the length and some pics of the bolt. I have never seen a buffer retainer beat to crap like that before.
Old 12-08-2012, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiondude View Post
I did the 7 quarter trick, but thought that was to keep the overtravel of the bolt down so that the bolt release does not get the crap beat out of it. The bolt is supposed to keep the buffer from smashing into the buffer stop pin. Mine pushes the buffer back just slightly when I close the rifle. My pin just keep the buffer from flying out when the rifle is taken apart. Sounds to me like he got an out of spec bolt, and it may explain the feeding issues as well. Op, do you have calipers that you could measre the OAL of the bolt? Post up the length and some pics of the bolt. I have never seen a buffer retainer beat to crap like that before.
That's a really good point that I had totally forgotten about. I spoke wrong since the bolt should stop it from coming too far forward and hitting the pin.
Old 12-08-2012, 5:39 PM

Here's a picture of the Q buffer:

It looks like the length is accounted for. Looks to be a weight issue now or the spring is too strong.

Feed ramp looks like it's pressed in properly:
Unless the ramp was machined incorrectly height wise.

OAL of CMMg bolt is 169.60mm
Old 12-08-2012, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Here's a picture of the Q buffer:

It looks like the length is accounted for. Looks to be a weight issue now or the spring is too strong.

Feed ramp looks like it's pressed in properly:
Unless the ramp was machined incorrectly height wise.

OAL of CMMg bolt is 169.60mm
Good job posting pics for us to look at. Makes it so much easier to try to diagnose issues. I misread in your first post. Thought you were using the ST-T2 buffer already.

The post just before my last one I think hit on something. The buffer should never hit the pin coming back forward as the bolt should hold it back. That issue could be caused by an out of spec bolt. I'm also wondering about the location of the buffer retainer detent pin. It seems to be too far forward. If that is the case, I wonder if the buffer tube is threaded too far in and this is causing the buffer to slam into the back of the tube and bounce forward. Somehow, the fact that the pin is severely bent is related to this. May not be the cause, but I think that it is somehow related.
Old 12-08-2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
I'm also wondering about the location of the buffer retainer detent pin. It seems to be too far forward.
I compared the 9 lower to 3 other lowers I have, looks the same to me. FCG cutout seems to be in the right place as well.

I think I'm going to be RifleGear a visit tomorrow to ask them for help since I got the lower from them. They have 10/20 metalforms in stock as well which I'll try out. The buffer pin bending still baffles me though.
Old 12-09-2012, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like a good call. Let us know what you find out.
Old 12-09-2012, 8:06 AM

Default Bent buffer Retainer

Check to see if bolt/BCG is flush at the end of the upper receiver. If Ok, then check if when closing the upper receiver to lower, the buffer is being pushed back just slightly into the buffer tube.

If not flush at the end of upper receiver, then you have out of spec parts in the upper. Could be bolt/BCG, reciever, or the barrel installation.

If not pushing back the buffer when closing, then you have out of spec lower.

If above are ok, then check under side of Bolt/BCG. Does it have scratches? Also check the grove cut for the buffer retainer to ride in, does it have scratches? Then finally check the to see if the buffer retainer is "riding" in the grove cut for it. If any of above, likely you may have out of spec bolt/BCG, retainer, or receiver.

If lots of scratches in the grove, then your retainer is too high (out of spec), if scratches are outside the grove, then your Bolt/BCG maybe rotating inside the upper causing it to hit the retainer on return. Too high retainer can also cant your bolt face downward causing ftf issues. Your last shot stuck could be caused by the misalignment of the retainer with the bolt/BCG.

Just 0.02.
Old 12-09-2012, 8:28 AM
Banned

Why do people opt to do 9mm on a AR platform? I always thought that was a strange combination.
Old 12-09-2012, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboi2012 View Post
Why do people opt to do 9mm on a AR platform? I always thought that was a strange combination.
Because the are super fun and the platform remains the same.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 12-09-2012, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Cheap plinking without going to 22

9mm can be found for $199/k

Also many indoor ranges don't allow 556/223, so I built a 9mm ar for bringing newbies to first time shooting events, everyone loves to try a real ar15, albeit a 9mm one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboi2012 View Post
Old 12-09-2012, 9:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZL View Post

Also many indoor ranges don't allow 556/223, so I built a 9mm ar for bringing newbies to first time shooting events, everyone loves to try a real ar15, albeit a 9mm one
Gotcha... it makes sense...I hate shooting .223 indoors. it defeats the purpose of the round that is meant for distance. yeah 9mm would be a good training round for indoors while maintaining the functionality of the AR platform
Old 12-09-2012, 9:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZL View Post

Gotcha... it makes sense...I hate shooting .223 indoors. it defeats the purpose of the round that is meant for distance. yeah 9mm would be a good training round for indoors while maintaining the functionality of the AR platform
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Hey OP, if you have the Promag plastic magwell adaptor, I betcha a new quality Spikes, rock river or Hahn may well solve your feeding problems...
I too fell for the Promag, there's a reason it's only $34... It's total crap, there's tons of info on arfcom about pustol caliber ars and the consensus there is that the Promag is useless. There are a few guys who report success with it but most say its junk. The consensus is now that the Spikes enhanced (adjustable)magwell adaptor is the best. I am using ASC and modded Uzi mags in mine w/no issues now.
To the person who asked "why a 9mm AR" I say it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Especially if you have plate racks/steel to shoot at and a good red dot sight, ping-ping-ping-ping! And 9mil is cheap still (relatively)..

I do not understand what your saying about the bolt/buffer issue. I do know that not all bolt catches work with 9mm setups, and not all 9mm mags have followers with the ability to lift the bolt catch after last round. Not to mention the fact that if you don't do something to slow that bolt down ( heavy buffers, spacers) it will break the bolt catch and possibly the receiver casting..)
The Yankee hill buffer is heavier and more importantly longer (the length restricts travel rearward to reduce subsequent forward inertia and stress on bolt catches) and its cheap. The new spikes one is also getting good reports, I haven't tried it.

My budget build setup:
YHM 9mm marked upper
Spikes 16" 9mm barrel
RRA magwell adaptor (at $175, the most expensive piece in whole assembly!)
Aero precision lower
CMMG ramped bolt
YHM 9mm buffer with std CAR spring
UTG carbine free float rail ( very impressed with this super cheap ~$40 rail)
CAA collapsible stock
Vortex strikefire red dot
I don't have the 9mil deflector/dust over and don't think I'll need it.

Promag magwell adaptor for sale: $16.00 shipped and its yours!!

Last edited by Falstaff; 12-09-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Hey OP, if you have the Promag plastic magwell adaptor, I betcha a new quality Spikes, rock river or Hahn may well solve your feeding problems...
I too fell for the Promag, there's a reason it's only $34... It's total crap, there's tons of info on arfcom about pustol caliber ars and the consensus there is that the Promag is useless. There are a few guys who report success with it but most say its junk. The consensus is now that the Spikes enhanced (adjustable)magwell adaptor is the best. I am using ASC and modded Uzi mags in mine w/no issues now.
To the person who asked "why a 9mm AR" I say it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Especially if you have plate racks/steel to shoot at and a good red dot sight, ping-ping-ping-ping! And 9mil is cheap still (relatively)..

I do not understand what your saying about the bolt/buffer issue. I do know that not all bolt catches work with 9mm setups, and not all 9mm mags have followers with the ability to lift the bolt catch after last round. Not to mention the fact that if you don't do something to slow that bolt down ( heavy buffers, spacers) it will break the bolt catch and possibly the receiver casting..)
The Yankee hill buffer is heavier and more importantly longer (the length restricts travel rearward to reduce subsequent forward inertia and stress on bolt catches) and its cheap. The new spikes one is also getting good reports, I haven't tried it.

My budget build setup:
YHM 9mm marked upper
Spikes 16" 9mm barrel
Aero precision lower
CMMG ramped bolt
YHM 9mm buffer with std CAR spring
UTG carbine free float rail ( very impressed with this super cheap ~$40 rail)
CAA collapsible stock
Vortex strikefire red dot
I don't have the 9mil deflector/dust over and don't think I'll need it.

Promag magwell adaptor for sale: $16.00 shipped and its yours!!
He's using a dedicated CMMG lower.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Oh duhhh, reading comprehension fail.
Old 12-09-2012, 1:01 PM

Paid Riflegear a visit this morning. Spoke to a young gentleman behind the counter (sorry I didn't ask for your name). First thing he said that ProMag is garbage. Unfortunately, they couldn't find the metalform 10/20 they had in stock so I'll give them a call. He did recommend to try out the ASC magazines since he hasn't seen any failures with it.

Anyways, he brought one out and cycled a few snap caps through the gun. Sure neough after the 3rd snap cap, it FTEd. We noticed that the magazine follower had a huge gauge in it, like someone took a chisel to it. This is getting troublesome now.

I'm going to give JSE a call tomorrow and see if they can do something about it. The gent at Riflegear said that if I was willing to leave it with them, they could try and diagnose the problem further and try and fix it (at a price of course). This is outstanding service!
Old 12-09-2012, 4:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Hi guys,

Finally got a chance to shoot my recently built 9mm AR. Ran great when it ran. The problems where the following:

1) Buffer won't bounce back after last round (bolt open). I would have to complete separate the upper from the lower to get the buffer to spring back. Can't figure out if it's catching on the buffer catch pin. It's a 9mm Heavy buffer. Thinking of switching it out with a ST2 to see if it makes a difference.

2) Got a bunch of FTFs and FTEs. It looks like the bullet is jammed hard into place, there's a pretty significant dent in the top of the bullet. RO says 99% mag issues. I'm using ProMag 10 rounders which I've heard where hit or miss. Any other available 10 rounders. Might as well built a DDLES glock lower now if it doesn't fix the problem.

Other than sorting these two big issues, it was awesome to shoot. Felt like shooting my buddies 15-22.

Oh yeah, lower is a CMMG dedicated with a JSE upper and CMMG bolt if that helps any with diagnosing the issue.

Help is much appreciated.
where are you located.I could look at it and you borrow some mags form me.I have c/p mags and uzi and promags mags.Mine work fine in my 9mm.I use a asa 9mm adapter on a asa upper .Pre ban lower.I use heavy buffers with 9mm PLus P loads.
Old 12-09-2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychinaman View Post
where are you located.I could look at it and you borrow some mags form me.I have c/p mags and uzi and promags mags.Mine work fine in my 9mm.I use a asa 9mm adapter on a asa upper .Pre ban lower.I use heavy buffers with 9mm PLus P loads.
Appreciate the help. I'm in Carson. PM incoming.
Old 12-15-2012, 2:48 PM

I have made up 4, 9mm AR15s out of various lowers, trigger groups, rear stock assemblies and so forth. The buffer is a consideration with 9mm. It needs to be heavier.
The feed ramp you have is a bit suspicious? Is your mag well adapter sitting high enough on the lower?