Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2012, 7:26 PM
Default Just need to be pointed in the right direction

I know there has to be a discussion on this issue somewhere in these forums but I've had no luck finding it and since I don't want to be "that guy" who starts another thread on something that's been discussed ad nauseum, I'll just ask to be pointed in the right direction. Here goes.

I know that California's laws as to what constitutes a "zip gun" can be fairly broad. With that in mind, I'm interested in building an MP5 clone with a simple blowback operation, .45acp, tube receiver on a G3 lower. I would prefer to build it as a pistol instead of going with a long barrel and fixed stock.

The hurdles I see are obviously mag capacity and bullet button, but since it would be a clone and similar, but not exact, in appearance to an MP5, would it fall into the realm of zip gun?

It seems that California's laws make home built designs exceptionally open to prosecution and I obviously do not wish to run afoul of the law over a range toy. Worse case scenario is that I'll have to wait until I retire to a more gun-friendly state and stick to building AKs.

As I stated, I figure this has been discussed multiple times, so forgive me for starting another thread on the same topic and please point me in the right direction.