Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-05-2012, 8:13 AM

Cool Heads Up!!! Deadwood Boys Piru Action Pistol this Sat. Dec. 8th.

Mortman hasn't started his thread yet, so here we go:

Guess what Time is It?

Yeah, its Deadwood Boys Piru Action Pistol time: but don't take my word for it, go here:

http://www.deadwoodboys.org/

You, your handgun (.380 or better) and 300 rounds of ammo is all it takes.
Just do it.

New to competition shooting or Deadwood Boys matches? Well, come on out, we are super noob friendly and will walk you through the course. Ask around, no better place to be an FNG.

This event is growing every month as more and more shooters spread the word.

So, make plans, check the website for directions, come on out on Sat. and meet the gang.
Old 12-06-2012, 6:50 AM

I'm in
Old 12-06-2012, 8:29 AM

Two more days and a wakeup. See everyone there!
Old 12-06-2012, 1:56 PM

i'm working in Louisiana but I have thursday - sunday off. I have a $500 voucher at american airlines and i'm seriously considering flying back just to go to this match lol.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
i'm working in Louisiana but I have thursday - sunday off. I have a $500 voucher at american airlines and i'm seriously considering flying back just to go to this match lol.
Nice! If there was any match worth flying half-way across the country for it is this one.
Old 12-06-2012, 7:09 PM

I wish they would paint the knock out targets a different color, they were not east to identify as a knock out my first time out.

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 12-06-2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
I wish they would paint the knock out targets a different color, they were not east to identify as a knock out my first time out.
That is probably one of the toughest parts of these matches - being able to quickly identify a one shot bonus target from a two shot bonus target. Once you have shot a couple your brain will quickly be able to decipher which bonus targets are single shots and which are double taps. The biggest piece of advice I can give you as someone who has only been doing this for a year, is to not focus on always hitting the knock down on the single bonus targets. If you engage the target and don't hit the bonus - move on. The time you spend trying to hit the knock down bonus won't be offset by the 1 sec bonus you get.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
That is probably one of the toughest parts of these matches - being able to quickly identify a one shot bonus target from a two shot bonus target. Once you have shot a couple your brain will quickly be able to decipher which bonus targets are single shots and which are double taps. The biggest piece of advice I can give you as someone who has only been doing this for a year, is to not focus on always hitting the knock down on the single bonus targets. If you engage the target and don't hit the bonus - move on. The time you spend trying to hit the knock down bonus won't be offset by the 1 sec bonus you get.
Good advice here although a 1s bonus per target is huge! Just don't take the time to take 3-4 shots at it.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:51 PM

Approxamatley when is the day over? and how much?

Im attending a welcome back party that night but would love to attend this in the AM and meet the shooters around here having fun

Thanks

Joe
Old 12-06-2012, 9:37 PM

Joe,
You should definitely try to make it out. You won't find a more fun and safe match environment around. You will want to be at the range between 8-830 for sign up. Match fees are $30 for non-members and $20 for members. Shooting starts at 9 and usually goes until around 1230-1330 depending on the number of shooters that are there. We shoot 6 stages and you will need around 40-50 rounds per stage to complete it (though I would bring some extra considering it is your first time). There is also usually a great cook there making breakfast and lunch ($6 each) if you get there a little early or stay after the end of the match. We are very beginner friendly and if you let the people there know it is your first time they will make sure you get in a squad where you will have plenty of experience people to help you out.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
It was my second ever competition last steel match and I did have trouble identifying the knockouts. I'd say I ended up double tapping half the knock outs before consciously realizing in later stages that the double tap targets SOUNDED different when you hit them.

I wish I realized that sooner before wasting time double tapping the knockouts. In the end I didn't do so bad placing 13th out of 42.

Anyone looking to shoot this should NOT hesitate. I was nervous having only competed in one USPSA before, but It was super fun and people were very helpful and welcoming.

Here's some video from the last action match.

Last edited by daybreak; 12-06-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Good advice here although a 1s bonus per target is huge! Just don't take the time to take 3-4 shots at it.
I have no problem seeing the targets for what they are. I think that the thing to overcome is the change from speed shot to sharp shooting. If you can't see where your bullet is going...like that ONE double tap that sits on a stand and moves that is always out in the open...you have to change your brain and go back to basics..sight picture, trigger control etc etc.

But it's still fun as hell!
Old 12-07-2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Joe,
You should definitely try to make it out. You won't find a more fun and safe match environment around. You will want to be at the range between 8-830 for sign up. Match fees are $30 for non-members and $20 for members. Shooting starts at 9 and usually goes until around 1230-1330 depending on the number of shooters that are there. We shoot 6 stages and you will need around 40-50 rounds per stage to complete it (though I would bring some extra considering it is your first time). There is also usually a great cook there making breakfast and lunch ($6 each) if you get there a little early or stay after the end of the match. We are very beginner friendly and if you let the people there know it is your first time they will make sure you get in a squad where you will have plenty of experience people to help you out.
Got a question about the fees. I have been out to two of these matches: once, just went to the range, paid my $30 and had a blast. The other time, I stopped by the Main Range and they had me pay $8 and then go up to the DWB bays.

Are we supposed to pay Mike Thompson on top of the $30/$20 to the club, or is that only if you shoot at the public range?

But to those considering coming, it's a great time, excellent stages/targets and a great bunch of guys (and the occasional gal).
Old 12-07-2012, 4:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

You're not supposed to pay the landowner fees if you're coming for a match. The $8 fee is only if you're going to be there outside of a match, belong to the private club and want to shoot for the day.
Old 12-08-2012, 6:45 AM

Excellent, see you in an hour
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM

So how'd you guys do? I'm envious I couldn't be there.

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM

32 shooters and scores are @ DeadwoodBoys
Old 12-09-2012, 6:19 PM

copy, but I wanted to hear from you guys about how you did, how the stages were, etc.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:41 PM

OK, I thought they were challenging and well done. There were many
targets that needed some sighting and a steady trigger to take(4" disc @ 10+ yds)
guessing on the distance but pretty close to that with a couple texas stars and the spinner always good to eat ammo. I had a good day 4th OAL.
Old 12-10-2012, 8:08 AM

Nice, Mike!

MazdaspeedJon, how did you do? I watch your YouTube videos at deadwood a lot.
Old 12-10-2012, 8:09 AM

Nice, Mike!

Old 12-10-2012, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Nice, Mike!

Ooooo..MazdaspeedJon has a fan club!

(BTW, I did well in the match. I still suck, but not as much as I did a couple of months ago. But I DID get the goofy smile after each bay so I WIN!)

Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Nice, Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I Am View Post
Ooooo..MazdaspeedJon has a fan club!

(BTW, I did well in the match. I still suck, but not as much as I did a couple of months ago. But I DID get the goofy smile after each bay so I WIN!)

Lol. Kinda cool to have a bit of a fan club. Haha. Daybreak, I did okay at the last match. Ended up placing 7th overall with 2 4th place stages. I have been making a lot of changes to my gun lately and haven't been giving myself enough time to get used to them. I really liked the stage layouts and how you would go from all-out running and gunning to having to slow down for precision shots before you took off on a run again. I set a goal for myself to start getting my bonuses back into the triple digits again - I had been sacrificing accuracy for speed. That is my overall goal again for this coming weekend's match. Once I get my bonuses and accuracy dialed back in then I can start feeding some more speed back in. One of the other big wins I had 2 matches ago that again needs to be an overall focus was coming up with a good stage plan within 2-3 walk throughs and then sticking to it. When I was able to actually do that I achieved a couple of stage wins and my second Top 5 finish. Just have to keep concentrating and striving for continuing improvement. It is really hard to believe that December marks 1 year since I started competing in matches. I am really excited to see how far I can push myself in 2013. I am pretty sure I am going to attend my first "big" match this year at Spring Steel, but we'll see how my work schedule looks.