Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Default DROS question re: "Open DROS"

I would like to get some answer/advice from FFL folks at Calguns.net

My friend has a FFL dealer that he used numerous times in the past and bought many firearms from this dealer. A few days ago, this FFL dealer called my friend and informed him that he had an "Open DROS" and wanted to know if he(my friend) had firearms he wanted to DROS. Problem was that my friend didn't initiate the DROS process and didn't buy any firearms from him. And, he inquired why he(FFL) started a DROS process when my friend didn't purchase any firearms.

FFL replied that he wanted to know how many firearms (I guess handguns) were purchased that day and started to DROS process to figure out how many firearms are sold that day. (I guess you can figure out the numbers of firearms by DROS numbers. There has to be a better way to figure this out than a start a 'bogus' DROS.)

Anyhow, this whole thing sounds pretty fishy to me. I can't believe any FFL would start a DROS process w/o proper buyer or firearms. Doesn't sound legal to me.

How would you advise my friend on this situation? How much trouble can he (my friend, not FFL) get into when he didn't start or consent to the DROS?
Does he have any obligation to notify any authority?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated by me as well as my friend.
Thanks for reading my rambling.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

sounds like your friend needs to find a new FFL
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned

That's an abuse of the system. He could report the FFL to DOJ BOF for that.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Assuming your friend is not a prohibited person, this should not affect him in any way.

That said, the FFL is a douche for initiating a DROS for the reason stated. He would probably only get a hand slap if reported, but I would tell your friend to tell the FFL to cancel the DROS immediately AND furnish him with a copy of said DROS AND CANCELLATION CONFIRMATION.

Oh, and btw, yes, DROS numbers start fresh at zero every day with a new prefix. On black Friday, the last DROS I ran was at almost 9000. I heard reports that over 10000 DROS were processed that day. Usually it's about 2000-2500 and I've been seeing numbers the last couple days well over 3k.

400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043

www.eddysguns.com

Tue-Fri 12-7, Sat 11-5
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM

I can only tell how many firearm transactions" are done by actually submitting a DROS. THe number in the top right corner of the DROS, XXX-XXXXX tells how many firearm transactions there are up to that point. So if you purchase a firearm and DROS it at 5:32PM and the number is 6541-01552 then the way you read the number is, the first four digits are how many days it has been since the electronic process was started in CA and the last five digits tell you how many firearms transactions have been done that day. So the 6541 means it is the 6541st (11/27/2012) day and there were 1552 firearms transactions performed that day. You can't tell how many guns were sold exactly because some DROS' are Multipule Longgun Sales and PPTs are not really dealer sales but just transactions. But that number does give you a idea of what is happening in firearms sales. Cancellations are also considered transactions.

"Gun control is not about guns, it is about control"
Old 12-07-2012, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

There are numerous issues with this. One of the main ones is that the FFL abused your friend's personal information in order to play this game. He took previously used information from the CA ID/DL to enter the information for the DROS. Then next thing would be an issue with the CA DOJ for submitting a DROS for someone who did not purchase a firearm, which would be submitting false information on the DROS. I suspect that they would not like that much and could put the FFL out of business if it were reported, as it should be. I would hope that the FFL cancelled the DROS, but it clearly shows a serious problem with judgement, so I personally would not want to deal with that FFL in any way after such an incident.

I would hope it was a long gun DROS since otherwise it could cause a problem with a handgun purchase. I suspect that the FFL would not do the handgun DROS since then a serial number, as well as the make and model would be needed.

Care to name the FFL so others know to stay away?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-09-2012, 1:19 AM

Thank you so much for all the information/advice.
I will ask my friend if it is okay to reveal the name of the FFL.

Until he agrees to this, I feel that I should respect his privacy and not divulge the identity of this FFL.