Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-08-2012, 9:21 AM

Exclamation Looking for an internship at a local Gunsmith

Hello,

I'm a full time college student working on getting my business degree. I currently attend Chaffee College Rancho Cucamonga. I am a single parent trying to create a legacy for my children follow. I'm going to open my own shop in a few years and I would like to see how the business is ran, sales techniques, customer service, networking, organizational techniques, management techniques, etc. Of course I'm also interested in learning how to further work on firearms. I will be attending a trade school for gunsmithing as well, I don't expect to learn everything without professional training. I do understand that a true gunsmith is a lot more extensive than just fitting, polishing and installing. I also have a vast knowledge of firearms already, I'm no newbie. I've been around them my whole life, I've acquired merit badges for rifles, shotguns, archery while in Boy Scouts. I bought my 1st firearm at 18 and my 1st handgun at 21, since then I've owned 15 different firearms from the odd to the usual, built some AR-15s and a Romny G AK-47 (did my own parkerizing). I reload my own .223/5.56, .45acp and .44mag both progressive and single stage. My point is, I'm very comfortable around firearms and I'm educated.

I just want to clarify that I am expecting an unpaid internship from a small business. Please know and understand California labor laws regarding unpaid internships. Regulations from the DOL can be found here; http://lwemploymentlaw.com/2012/06/0...d-interns.aspx

Additional benefits:

1) I will be receiving a certification in keyboarding shortly (I already qualified and am just waiting for a physical cert) allowing me to effectively assist with data entry, business letters, e-mails or notes.
2) I am trained and certified by the American Red Cross in CPR, First Aid in infants, children, adults and using and AED in children and adults incase of any unforeseen illness, or injury anyone may face while in your place of business. (My cards are current)
3) I've studied HR, Marketing, Management, Ownership, Administration, etc. pertaining to business. This allows me to have input or ideas when asked for them. I will not tell you how to run your business or challenge you, I'm hear to learn from you, a successful small businessmen and entrepreneur.
4) I took 2 years of wood tech which means nothing, except that I'm comfortable with cutting machines, blades, computer operated machines, laths, sanding equipment that could be used as polishing equipment, compressed air painting, and all the safety standards that apply to any shop and its equipment.

Thank you for your consideration,
Nicholas
(909)560-3199

WFT for 300 Blackout
.400/.401 Projectiles up to 180gr
.452 Projectiles 200gr - 230gr
.458/.459Projectiles 300 gr - 405 gr
45-70 & .450 Marlin brass
Large/Small Pistol & Large Rifle Primers
Updated: 4/16/2016

Last edited by SpaceMan; 12-08-2012 at 8:34 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 2:24 PM

if you have the money look into
http://americangunsmithinginstitute.org/
I had all the same experience you list for guns and learned more in the introduction videos than i knew before (detailed info that is) just look into it costs nothing to little to look into it
Old 12-08-2012, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Good luck, it's a tough thing to get into. You need more machining and a metal working back round IMO to smooth out the learning curve. TIG welding, brazing, soldering, tool making, and metallurgy basics are good to know when starting out.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 12-08-2012, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Take all the welding classes at community college, and become GOOD at it.

A lot of the gunsmiths I know can use a good welder- it would probably get you a foot in the door.

Most of your experience won't be much use to a smith- a gun store maybe (management, sales, paperwork).

-Dave
Old 12-08-2012, 6:49 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Screw Gunsmithing
Go to a CC and get some Manual machinist training or become a toolmaker.

Two things will happen
One, you will make more money.
Two, you will learn more and be able to practice more of your skills on firearms.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
PSL BARRELS MACHINED TO ORDER PM FOR QUOTE
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 12-08-2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Screw Gunsmithing
Go to a CC and get some Manual machinist training or become a toolmaker.

Two things will happen
One, you will make more money.
Two, you will learn more and be able to practice more of your skills on firearms.
highly agree. take machining classes and learn to TIG weld. I am in the lassen community college gunsmithing program and the first simester is 90% machining and welding. the first year is mostly machining and tool making. These are the foundations needed to really work on guns. Gunsmithing is far beyond changing parts and disassembling firearms. Anyways hope this helps and check out Lassen Community College summer gunsmithing classes if the 2 year program is not realistic to take.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:53 PM

Why start a gun shop? Guns will probably be banned eventually. Get your degree in engineering and you'll always have a job.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:56 PM

I self taught myself mig welding and am now working on taking CNC, mill, and lathe classes at my local CC. Trust me its some seriously handy skills to have. Fun too!

Old 12-08-2012, 7:56 PM
Banned

Buddy became a high-tech refrig guy because he knew Accounting and the "old man" recently gotten divorced from his wife who did that, so he was looking for a guy who could work and learn but also handle "the books".

Lot of "books" in the gun biz, and they gotta be right.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:11 PM

I'm a good welder I've been welding since I was 16. But as far as this post goes I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the passion.

I think this kind of went over all of your heads. I'm more interested in the business side of things, my experience was simply stated so that I can offer more than just sitting around studying your every move. I did say internship not a job which is totally different. It's more of an assistant, the person I would intern for simply shows me what he's doing and why he's doing it and gives me small tasks. By law I would not be able to perform most of these tasks you all speak of as an intern. By law (unless you would LIKE to be sued) an unpaid internship is required to be equal to "educational training", the internship is purely to benefit me the intern, I cannot be given any task unsupervised or in anyway take the place of an employee, the employer is not to have immediate gain from anything by having me intern, I cannot be guaranteed a job at the end of my internship, me and the employer must have a mutual understanding that I'm not being paid (best if a contract is signed).

These are things a small business owner should already know anyways. So I'm sure having all these perfected skills you all speak of me needing will NOT benefit the employer anyways.

WFT for 300 Blackout
Old 12-08-2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeodatus View Post
I self taught myself mig welding and am now working on taking CNC, mill, and lathe classes at my local CC. Trust me its some seriously handy skills to have. Fun too!
That's awesome, being self-motivated to learning new things on my own is a strong point of mine as well. Keep up the hard work!

WFT for 300 Blackout
Old 12-09-2012, 9:43 AM

Adeodatus what CC do you go to?
Old 12-11-2012, 5:27 PM

You know how to make a little money in gunsmithing? ... Start out with a lot of money.
Old 12-11-2012, 5:37 PM

Money isn't everything, you have to do what you enjoy!! As long as you make enough to be comfortable. I say go for it, follow your dream and good luck. If you are passionate, it WILL work for you.

Commander of Front Sight Member