Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-07-2012, 8:51 PM

Default help I.D 7.62x54r ammo

Hello all. I just recently got a finnish m27 tikka 1932 mosin nagant all matching serials. The guy gave it to me as part of a trade for a sig i was selling. Anyways long story short, he gave me a crap load of ammo of two variations i cannot identify. One has a red strip of laquer or what not around the projectile before the rim of the cartridge (also has 188 and 77 on the bottom near primer) the second one has a white tip and has noticed less recoil when shooting (has 10 and 55 on bottom near primer).
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Heres a link to pics ( if this is unauthorised i apologise mods can delete link) otherwise checkitout : http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...-mosin-nagant/

-Patriotism is supporting your country ALL the time, and your government when it deserves it.-Mark Twain

FREE MEN HAVE ARMS SLAVES DO NOT

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people ALWAYS POSSES ARMS, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them- Richard henry Lee 1787

Last edited by M1911a1-Blackhawk; 12-07-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 9:09 PM

This should help...

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm
Old 12-07-2012, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

You have to be a member of that site to see those pics.

The 10 55 headstamp would be bulgarian...the ammo sounds like Czech training ammo, weird.

You sure the other headstamp isn't 188 over 77? That would be 1977 soviet ammo

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM

Im having trouble with photobucket, so i cant post pics direct. Update on the white tipped ammo is actually yellow tipped as you can tell from the pics i posted in the forum above. According to the site you suggested, the yellow tipped (10/55 marked) seems to be 1930 Type D ammo, and the red lined ammo (188/77 marked) seems to be lps or sn sniper ammo. What do you guys think?

-Patriotism is supporting your country ALL the time, and your government when it deserves it.-Mark Twain

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people ALWAYS POSSES ARMS, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them- Richard henry Lee 1787
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Sorry about the typos (188/77) earlier. Im having to do all of this via android phone sooo frustrating

Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm going with 1955 Bulgarian heavy ball and 1977 Soviet light ball. Both good ammo. Watch out for split necks and corrosion on the bulgarian stuff, sometimes that happens with it. My carbines especially love heavy ball...

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 12-08-2012, 4:06 AM
Veteran Member

188/77 Russian Made in 1977
10/55 Bulgarian made in 1955
Old 12-08-2012, 6:37 AM

Thanks guys. I think you guys hit it on the nose. Yeah i see some ammo thats dented and projectile bulging from the cartridge. Some of the ammo looks like they rushed the loading process :lol: now to check whats the grain and if their corrosive, the velocity, headspacing etc. I really appreciate the help guys

Last edited by M1911a1-Blackhawk; 12-08-2012 at 6:41 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 7:47 AM

Nothing a little boiling water down the chamber a little ammonia and some hoppes #9 wont cleanup

Old 12-08-2012, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1911a1-Blackhawk View Post
Thanks guys. I think you guys hit it on the nose. Yeah i see some ammo thats dented and projectile bulging from the cartridge. Some of the ammo looks like they rushed the loading process :lol: now to check whats the grain and if their corrosive, the velocity, headspacing etc. I really appreciate the help guys
The stuff is corrosive

The yellow tip is 180gr lead core

The light ball (silvertip or non painted tip) is 147gr

Here's the data.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Uh yeah as stated earlier ALL milsurp ammo is corrosive, got it. Russian Bulgarian ammo thanks. You all have been a great big help. Anyone know where i can get some good match grade ammo. I dont mind if its corrosive cuz i clean my guns.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM

There was a post on here a few weeks back about a site that had some match grade Russian ammo in stock.

Here is the link: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254MATCH
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Thanks thats all i found as well. Not bad i guess. Has anyone here used that prvi partizan ppu 7.62x54R 182gr fmj match ammo? Thinking of trying some as its only 14.95 lead core full copper jacketed boat tail match bullet brass case non corrosive boxer primer. Sounds better than milsurp burdan primers (corrosive) fouling up the bore, but tis words ( marketing ploy) till i try it right?

Last edited by M1911a1-Blackhawk; 12-08-2012 at 10:07 PM..