Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-04-2012, 7:01 PM

Default where to get powder, primers, bullets

Hi, im looking into buying bulk - cases of 1,000 or more of primers, bullets, and much, much powder . It will be for ar-15 2.23 /5.56 ONLY. any recomended brands (specifically powder brands and types) ... also the cheapest ones you guys have found. Im looking online and cant find bullets for very cheap, any recomendations on where to get them online is very helpful!!
Thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 7:42 PM

I've had very good luck with these folks..

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html
Old 12-04-2012, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Powder Valley.
Old 12-04-2012, 9:46 PM

Just did two orders with Powder Valley. Very good to work with.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

1000 primers is not bulk so don't expect any kind of deal. Best bet would be to order 8lb+ jug of powder and 5k+ primers from somewhere like powder valley or grafs.com You will have to pay a 27.50$ hazmat shipping fee rather you buy 1lb or 50lbs.

For .223 if you are shooting mostly 50-80gr bullets go with H335. If you are wanting to shoot heavier 69-80gr bullets go with something like Varget or CFE223.

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 12-05-2012, 5:56 AM

As the posters said above I start with Powder Valley, then check the price and availability with other online vendors. Some have specialty items, such as http://www.grafs.com/, that carry a selection of oddball and obsolete ammo and brass. One source of handgun and obsolete rifle brass I use is http://www.starlinebrass.com/ buying direct is cheaper than ordering from a reseller. For certain paramilitary ammo and brass I use http://www.ssarmory.com/68%20ammo.htm Then its just the usual suspects:

www.midwayUSA.com

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...Store_Code=BSS

http://www.jgsales.com/

http://www.luckygunner.com/ (Loaded ammo)

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases.html (Carry wide range of cases, Jamison, Graf, RWS, brass shotshells, etc.)

Primers are purchased in minimum lots of 5,000. Remember that in California the limit for powder storage without a permit is 20 pounds of smokeless or 1 pound of black powder. However there is no limit on loaded ammo, so I buy 4-5 pound lots and load it immediately, it's a matter of controlling the inventory.

The best value in brass cases for the 5.56/.223 is from Grafs, Privi Partizan brand. I bought 1000 cases and find it to be as good as can be had and inexpensive. Currently its out of stock, as are many products, there is a heavy demand just now. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12628

Good powders to try are Hodgdon's CFE223, H-335, Benchmark, Winchester W-748 and Ramshot TAC. I suggest you try 1 pound of each, and see which works best in your rifle before buying in bulk.

I use Remington 7-1/2 BR primers as they provide good accuracy and were designed for the 5.56/.223.
Old 12-05-2012, 6:32 AM

Yeah, bulk in primers is 5000+, bulk in bullets same. Buy powder in 7-8 lb jugs.

Cannot say where best deal on bulk powder and primers online is. Local stores I know that order for me when they order is where I have been getting those.

For .223 bullets, look for the bulk Hornady 55gr FMJBT. They are a great bullet 1st, cheap second. Heck, I shoot them for my accuracy 55gr load :-)

I usually buy these at Midway USA when they have them in stock. $500 for 6k is not bad.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...cket-boat-tail
Old 12-06-2012, 1:20 PM
Banned

I disagree with the "buy 8lbs" philosophy. At Powder Valley 8 1# cans are $20 more than an 8# can. Once you open an 8# can, it is no longer fresh. Sealed cans will last a very long time if properly stored. Notable exception, if you really will use the 8lbs in a timely manner, the savings of 20frns is worth it. Have dealt with PV and they are excellent to work with.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Don't buy any hazmat stuff from Midway, you'll get a separate $27.50 for the primers and the powder. Ol Larry doesn't stock the hazmat stuff, so it comes out of different warehouses, each with it's own hazmat charge. He's kind of pricey on shipping heavy stuff like bullets too. I've used Graf's most of the time, one hazmat, $6 to ship, and prices pretty close to PV. PV was always out of a couple of the primers or powders I wanted, so it was a second hazmat when they got in stock.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:04 PM

Properly stored powder lasts indefinetely (well maybe not, but many decades at least). I am going thru a few 12 lb. canisters of Hi-Skor 700X that is probably 30 years old. I got these cannisters second hand and they are fine still. Cool and dry is all the care it needs. 8 pounds is not as much as it sounds. It comes in what looks like a plastic gallon jug nowadays. The older Hercules cannister used to be much oversized cardboard tubbs or cans. These old 12 lb. metal cannisters I have are the size of a 5 gallon bucket!!

Last edited by Sheldon; 12-06-2012 at 5:42 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsragman View Post
I disagree with the "buy 8lbs" philosophy. At Powder Valley 8 1# cans are $20 more than an 8# can. Once you open an 8# can, it is no longer fresh. Sealed cans will last a very long time if properly stored. Notable exception, if you really will use the 8lbs in a timely manner, the savings of 20frns is worth it. Have dealt with PV and they are excellent to work with.
I disagree with this from practical experience.

I had an 8lb can of WW748 from 10-12 years earlier that was half full and had been sitting in my storage cabinet all those years. I duped some load data from back when it was loaded fresh and results were indistinguishable over the chrono. 5 years later I used the last of that can and then started a new can and guess what, powder from new can produced ammo that also chrono'ed the same.

As long as cap is screwed on tight and it is kept in consistent temp it's not gonna be a problem IME.

Regards
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM

The cheapest powder would be W846 or W844 online. If you want to reload with more accurate data go to the next gun show and pick up a jug of BLC-2 and some primers. Gun Broker would be a good place to shop for bullets and brass if you cant find any off the calguns marketplace.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

8lbs is only a little over 2k rounds of .223, hardly a lot for someone loading for an AR.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM

My advice is to figure out everything you need and just place one order, perhaps even splitting with a friend to minimize hasmat fees.

But the cheapest I have found wc844 about $85 (8lbs) wolf .556 primers $15 (1k) and 6k bullets $490 or so.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Do a 30 mile drive to Philips Wholesale in Glendora, He is open Thurs thru the weekend, last week he had winchester primers for $22 a 1,000.. Powder is good and you dont pay the hazmat just tax.
Rick is good to gom, better than any place in Orange County
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM

I agree with Quinc on using Grafs for powder/primers. I've ordered from them many times. They offer dealer pricing if you have a Curios and Relics 03 FFL. Another option is Blackhills Shooter Supply. They are commercial, so they don't sell to the public; however, they sometimes make an exception for military with current ID cards.
Old 12-09-2012, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmn View Post
I agree with Quinc on using Grafs for powder/primers. I've ordered from them many times. They offer dealer pricing if you have a Curios and Relics 03 FFL. Another option is Blackhills Shooter Supply. They are commercial, so they don't sell to the public; however, they sometimes make an exception for military with current ID cards.
Is Blackhills Shooter Supply any better priced than grafs and will they take an FFL03?

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 12-09-2012, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Negative. Properly stored powder should last for years, if not decades. Buy big and save.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardou View Post
Hi, im looking into buying bulk - cases of 1,000 or more of primers, bullets, and much, much powder . It will be for ar-15 2.23 /5.56 ONLY. any recomended brands (specifically powder brands and types) ... also the cheapest ones you guys have found. Im looking online and cant find bullets for very cheap, any recomendations on where to get them online is very helpful!!
Thanks
You need to buy more than 1k primers. I would not even bother putting in an order if primers are less thank 10K. Buy 8# kegs for powders you like. Buy bulk and save. Since you're in OC, I sometimes have a GB that I hold every few months.

Also, cash at Phillips Wholesale in Covina has good prices. 3% charge on CC.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:20 PM

+1 on powder life if stored in a cool dry location. About a year ago I finished off a Jug of W321 and a jug of RE7 that I opened in the 90's. All shot normal along with primers purchased at the same time.
I cried cause I paid $12.95 a pound for the stuff.
I just received a Graf's order and filled all but a couple pounds of the Hazmat.
Old 12-10-2012, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

The best deal on 9mm projectiles, and 5k primers was at a gun show, but I wasn't looking for .223 projectiles, as I have over 5k (of various) at home...

5k primers were like $119+tx for CCI #41, and CCI are my favorite brand (althought I will proabably buy Wolf next time as a trial), I have issues with Winchester trays being larger than my flip-tray, and the Federal never flip correctly when jiggling the ribbed tray...

The best deals in .223 is buying pulled, in bulk, same with powder (pulled).

Rocky Mountain Reloading, Hi-Tech Ammo, & Pat's Reloading all sell pulled components.

I don't shoot matches, so blasting ammo for the whole family (and friends) is what I reload for, and only out to 100yd (I even buy machine pulled with marks sometimes).
Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 PM

I just checked the Blackhills website, they do not accept 03 FFL's.
Old 12-16-2012, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos View Post
Do a 30 mile drive to Philips Wholesale in Glendora, He is open Thurs thru the weekend, last week he had winchester primers for $22 a 1,000.. Powder is good and you dont pay the hazmat just tax.
Rick is good to gom, better than any place in Orange County
gonna have to agree with bongos... philips is a great place to go.. he is very knowledgable.. and has supplies for very decent price. thats where i have been shopping since i started reloading.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Have to agree with above. Phillips wholesale is the best place in so cal for reloading components. Rick is a great guy. no hazmat, no waiting. If he doesnt have it he will get it for you. i was just there yesterday, inventory was low, due to high demand but still had everything i needed. one more point- i have had some great discussions with other experienced reloaders shopping there and have learned quite a bit by listening to some of the old timers i have met there.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
I disagree with this from practical experience.

I had an 8lb can of WW748 from 10-12 years earlier that was half full and had been sitting in my storage cabinet all those years. I duped some load data from back when it was loaded fresh and results were indistinguishable over the chrono. 5 years later I used the last of that can and then started a new can and guess what, powder from new can produced ammo that also chrono'ed the same.

As long as cap is screwed on tight and it is kept in consistent temp it's not gonna be a problem IME.

Regards
YEP! Same results here.
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ