Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Moving to VC on Military Orders

Hey folks, so glad CALGUNS exists. I've been reading through and find the posts very helpful. Good bunch of knowledgeable and friendly folks on here.

So, I'm moving to VC on military orders to Point Mugu and need a few things clarrified:

What I know so far (or think I know) is that:

I can bring my handguns with me as long as the magazines with greater than 10 round capacity are disassembled and remain disassembled until I either move out or get them blocked. Is there more I need to know on this?

As Active Duty Military, I am exempt from filing a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. As long as I do not leave active duty (retire) in the state, this remains the case, yes?

When transporting the weapons during my move or otherwise, I am allowed to have the magazines loaded as long as they are not inserted into the weapons and there are no rounds in the chambers. The guns need to be in a locked container. Do they need to be in the trunk? Again, finer points would be appreciated.

New question: If I am at my home of record, or my state of residency (the state in which I am registered to vote...which is different than my HOR), while on leave in conjunction with orders, can I purchase a handgun or handguns and transport them into the state with my under the same exemption as mentioned above? I have the feeling this one is going to be dicey.

Thanks in advanced for your helpful responses!
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 12-06-2012, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokahn99 View Post
Hey folks, so glad CALGUNS exists. I've been reading through and find the posts very helpful. Good bunch of knowledgeable and friendly folks on here.

So, I'm moving to VC on military orders to Point Mugu and need a few things clarrified:
Welcome to Calguns, California and Ventura County. I will take a stab at your questions, but don't quote me, I'm not a lawyer and still have plenty to learn myself. The laws in this state are beyond confusing.

Quote:
I can bring my handguns with me as long as the magazines with greater than 10 round capacity are disassembled and remain disassembled until I either move out or get them blocked. Is there more I need to know on this?
Yes. Correct. But I'm not sure how military and gov't property play into state law. Laws might change while on base and off base. I also know LEO's can obtain a high cap mag permit, not sure about military.

Quote:
As Active Duty Military, I am exempt from filing a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. As long as I do not leave active duty (retire) in the state, this remains the case, yes?
Not sure about this one. But I'm guessing you're correct.

Quote:
When transporting the weapons during my move or otherwise, I am allowed to have the magazines loaded as long as they are not inserted into the weapons and there are no rounds in the chambers. The guns need to be in a locked container. Do they need to be in the trunk? Again, finer points would be appreciated.
Yes, but they don't need to be in a locked container if they are in the trunk. The trunk counts as a locked container, but hatchbacks don't count. I also don't believe rifles and shotguns need to locked while outside the trunk (inside the cabin). But yes, they need to be unloaded and loaded magazines don't apply as a loaded firearm while not physically in the firearm.

Quote:
New question: If I am at my home of record, or my state of residency (the state in which I am registered to vote...which is different than my HOR), while on leave in conjunction with orders, can I purchase a handgun or handguns and transport them into the state with my under the same exemption as mentioned above? I have the feeling this one is going to be dicey.
If you can legally purchase a firearm out of the state of California, I would image you're correct in being able to bring them back into the state and not register them as you mentioned earlier. Also remember you have just over 1 year before rifles and shotguns will need to registered as well (Jan 1st, 2014). I would also advise to ensure they comply with state law if buying them out of state (ex. bullet buttons and such).

Last edited by TacticalPlinker; 12-06-2012 at 3:03 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 9:28 PM
Banned

Welcome to the area and the Ventura County chapter.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the info and welcome. I'm looking forward to getting involved in the shooting get-togethers and 2A events. If any place has a critical need for more citizens to take an active stand for 2A rights, it's California.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and gals.
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."