Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-06-2012, 2:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Default What magnification for a replacement 10/22 scope?

I bought a package deal for my 10/22 w/scope included. It was a 3-9x40 (I think that is the correct way to state what it was), and worked pretty well. Since it was a package deal, it was probably a cheap scope and I think the seal busted and everything went blurry less than a year after I bought it. Since it was a package deal, I brought it back to the shop, and they exchanged it for the cheapest plastic-body scope I have ever seen, and rather than complain, I opted to get one off of eBay.

Since I really liked my rubberized Leapers (UTG) scope on my AR (although it never really gets attached, as I love my iron sights for reliving my youth http://www.combatsportsupply.com/utg...atedscope.aspx) I opted for something similar, but 3-9x40 isn't really nice for 100yd, and would like something with better zoom. I really dig the rubberized housing, so I am probably limiting myself, but I'll deal with the limits.

I would like to zero it at 75yd(, like 1x-2x a year I would be shooting out to about 250), however most of the time I would be shooting at 100yd (the most my local range goes up to). What would be a good "zoom-factor" (?) for these distances as the 3-9x40 doesn't seem to be cutting it for my happy-factor? Since eBays searches suck (i.e. searches such as *-16x40, or 4-16x* don't work at all anymore) it's hard to find without searching say 20 pages just to not find what I am looking for, Google went pinko-commie-anti-firearm so searches in shopping suck, Bing includes your excluded descriptions ('scope "rubberized" "-16x40"' returns "Sorry, we did not find any products."), so I am at a loss.

I like to go to the range and have fun, but don't (currently) hunt (except squirrels 1x-2x a year for friend's property varmint-eradication), and I have read that you want to spend about $1 per yard you would like to shoot at, so I am guessing at about $100. Would something like a 6-20x40 be overkill?

Even at 9x I can seem to see the holes I am punching with the glare of paper plates in direct sunshine (as I usually only drop 1-2 reactive targets out of 6 targets stapled on the cardboard-backed stands), so I am looking for a better zoom for checking my shots. I am not currently interested in a spotting scope.

(Wow that was a hell of a babble...)

Please advise...

Last edited by the86d; 12-06-2012 at 2:54 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 3:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Should I just get a spotting scope instead?
Old 12-06-2012, 6:10 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

If you continue to buy scopes in the $100 price range you will probably continue to buy another in the future. Most scopes at that price point are made in China and the only two companies that sell scopes that are made in China that are acceptable (in my opinion) are Mueller and the Vortex Crossfire II models).

I suggest that you spend about twice as much and my personal favorite @ around $200 is the Weaver 40/44 6.5-20X44mm AO which is made in the Philippines. I own 2 of those and they hold zero, are perfectly bright and clear all the way to 20x and easy to see even .17HMR bullet holes at 100yds. Nice turrets, built like a tank with fully multicoated lenses. Check at opticsplanet.com. Other than that look for an older Tasco (made in Japan) in the 4-16x40mm AO that sell for $75-$100 when you can find them. Look for "vintage Tasco" on ebay. I got one new in the box for $65 and its perfect.

You might want to look in the classifieds on rimfirecentral.com. Sometimes some good deals on good scopes but you have to know what you are looking at. So do the research.
Old 12-06-2012, 7:32 AM

Over at RFC, most people start at Mueller's APV (~$130 from various sites) which is a 4.5-14x40, for a bit more you can get the APT (160-170) which has a 30mm tube, target turrets, and a mil-dot reticle.

If you are looking for a set+forget style scope, I would recommend the APV. Personally I prefer much lower power magnification on my rimfires. My magnification never goes over 6x for shooting, though I do zoom up to 16x to check my targets sometimes.

If that is a bit too rich for you, check out the centerpoint 4-16x40 scope at walmart -- comes in around 70 and is considered decent for the money if you absolutely have to stay below $100.

Last edited by SilentPea; 12-06-2012 at 7:34 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 8:40 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In general i agree with Izzy43, I use the same scopes.
but
I would also recommend Nikon's rimfire scope, Leupolds rimfire scope, and I see many Simmons on the Appleseed line.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Psa 144:1-2
1. Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle 2. My loving-kindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:47 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

matter of fact, go here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=650816
a calgunner is selling one

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Psa 144:1-2
1. Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle 2. My loving-kindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me.
Old 12-06-2012, 9:04 AM
In Memoriam

I have two of these for my small caliber varmint rifles. Awesome clarity

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...-reticle-matte
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would avoid most of the cheap Chinese crap like Leapers and go with a quality scope. The lowest that I would go with is a Muller APV 4.5-14x40 w/AO (~$130). Mizzou Mule in Alaska includes a free sunshade with purchase. The opics are fair and while light duty they are rated for use on up to .223 rifles. The only real downside for a 22 are the fat crosshairs.

A Weaver V16 4-16x42 w/AO is a far better scope and I use it's V24 big brother on my 50yd benchrest rifles.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...eticle%20Matte

I just don't know if either scopes has enough adjustment for a 6' drop at 250yds (10'@300yds).

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...php?t=4bccf14b

I'd give serious consideration to buying a good quality spotting scope for those distances but good ones aren't cheap.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Stop buying chinese junk, and stop bothering with junk on ebay. I'll also point out that the mueller APV is as low end as I'd be willing to go. You don't necessarily need tons of magnification, you need glass that doesn't suck.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the input y'all!

I'll probably be buying a 22lr pistol in Jan, but upgrading the scope in Feb-Mar.

Anyone know how china-glass, comparable to a Leapers scope works on say a 1000fps Beeman pellet rifle (as I have to put the old one somewhere, right )?

I have read that the "whomp" of some of the powerful pellet rifles can ruin a scope, even if it was made to work on say a .223 rifle...

Last edited by the86d; 12-06-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 1:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Thanks for the input y'all!

I'll probably be buying a 22lr pistol in Jan, but upgrading the scope in Feb-Mar.

Anyone know how china-glass, comparable to a Leapers scope works on say a 1000fps Beeman pellet rifle (as I have to put the old one somewhere, right )?

I have read that the "whomp" of some of the powerful pellet rifles can ruin a scope, even if it was made to work on say a .223 rifle...
Dunno, I wouldn't put it on a pellet rifle either.

The problem with some pellet guns and optics, is that some of those pellet guns have recoil in two directions that most firearm scopes aren't made for.