Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-03-2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
you monster you took a sks out of probably the best laminate stock ive ever seen in my life and put it in that tapco atrocity
Personal opinions are welcomed but in addition to being more comfortable to shoot I also didn't want to take a chance on ruining my original wood stock. Kind of like putting seat covers in a new car I guess.

Here's some more photos:

As you can see it's in great shape and I'm thinking that it was either new or very limited use in the field, if any, before I got it. The wood stock also has the same matching serial numbers as the rest of the rifle so I know it wasn't pieced together and I've never reconditioned it nor has any bluing been done to it.

John

Last edited by 65falconlover; 12-03-2012 at 8:53 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 1:22 AM

That's a nice looking stock. I had to laugh at the "you monster!" comment. Classic stuff in the C&R forum...

If you can get some pictures of the markings on the receiver and of any on the stock that would be useful (not to me, I'm no expert, but to those who know more about these rifles).
Old 12-04-2012, 3:14 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
wow that is some keen metal i cant belive it would look so good and the stock so bad

i hate to think this but i wonder if maybe last month china snuck a bunch over to albania and just beat the stocks up a bit to make them look old forged some 50s era manifests and pulled off one of the biggest import scams ever
I agree. Maybe this was refurbished unissued without replacing the stock???

It's like they found these stocks in an old firewood pile somewhere then stuck new metal in them and then they broke out the number stamps. :-0

-178S
Old 12-04-2012, 3:49 AM

Without seeing the front of 65falcons rifle, I wonder if its a Yugo. As I have one I purchased fromTurners around the same time.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1echo View Post
Without seeing the front of 65falcons rifle, I wonder if its a Yugo. As I have one I purchased fromTurners around the same time.
What do you want to see? All the serial numbers (AK 597) match and they're marked on the stock and other places on the rifle. It also has a K stamped on the bottom of the foregrip. Nothing appears to have been modified or restored at any time. I remember it being covered in a thick, greasy oil when I first got it. It's a little hard to tell but the letter "A" is written funny (boxy looking) and the original bolt cover has I 95 I r along with a star with an arrow inside it as well. You can see part of the star on the first photo I posted in the above group.

Here are two showing the serial number and the letter K on the stock. I might be hard to see but they're there.

Here's two showing the barrel as requested:

John

Last edited by 65falconlover; 12-04-2012 at 4:23 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

That picture of the Tula with the Tapco stock made me throw up in my mouth.
Old 12-04-2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Okay, I give up, what's a "Tula"?

I'm hoping this is just innocent banter because I like having a forum where I can learn and share but if it's just another one full of A-holes trying to prove a point (with anyone that they don't agree with) and bashers I'll be moving along soon.

John
Old 12-04-2012, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

I'm hoping this is just innocent banter because I like having a forum where I can learn and share but if it's just another one full of A-holes trying to prove a point (with anyone that they don't agree with) and bashers I'll be moving along soon.

John
Old 12-04-2012, 4:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65falconlover View Post

John
some of the hardcore C&R guys dont like it when people put plactic on SKS. Tula is the place where your SKS was manufatured, you did research the rifle before you bought it right. if you plan to stick around here for a while i would segusst growing thicker skin and try not to get offended so easily. people can be hard on the new guy (especcially in OT). just ignore all the trolls and you will have a good time here.

Old 12-04-2012, 5:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

John

You took a really nice $500 rifle and started the process of spending even more money to turn it into a $300 abomination. I hope you kept the bayonet. I don't know how we'll get by without you, but I think we might.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns, C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

Last edited by scobun; 12-04-2012 at 8:17 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 7:13 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

It isn't trolling or picking on a new member.

The OP can certainly do whatever he wants with his rifle. However, when you post pictures of a monstrosity that is a laminated Russian turned into a wannabe AK, conplete with the grip pod and optic rail, you are not going to get showered with praise.

I furthermore reject the idea that Tapcos are used to 'protect' the original wood stock. The SKS is a bench gun, range gun, casual plinking gun, or maybe (stretch) a HD weapon. It is unlikely that anyone is heading downrange with an SKS or exposing it to harsh enough conditions to damage the stock.

People put aftermarket stocks on SKS rifles because they like the bubba look. Period.
Old 12-04-2012, 7:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yea i appreaciate how falconlover is using a different topcover and gas tube assembly so it can be reverted vary rapidly
you know what really makes it look tacticalled out is that twist on brake that holds the cleaning rod they also serve as a muzzle protector for cleaning

i didnt mean to sound so harsh its just you took "the sks" and modified it i got no real problem with people modding the chinese romanian and yugos as they are all just copies

i love the albanians cause nobody is gonna mess with them

Last edited by bohoki; 12-04-2012 at 7:25 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
In any case, I guess a Tapco T6 stock (and some extras to make the rifle 922r compliant) could be a solution to avoid beating up that stock further. Although it doesn't look like Tapco makes those fixed SKS mags anymore.
I actually bought the last tapco fixed mag they had, I called them and I got lucky they had one still about 2 months ago.
Old 12-04-2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
some of the hardcore C&R guys dont like it when people put plactic on SKS. Tula is the place where your SKS was manufatured, you did research the rifle before you bought it right. if you plan to stick around here for a while i would segusst growing thicker skin and try not to get offended so easily. people can be hard on the new guy (especcially in OT). just ignore all the trolls and you will have a good time here.
Reasearch it? Nope. I bought this 18 years ago when they had racks of them at Turners for $129.00. They were everywhere, "hop up" parts were as popular as the AR stuff is now and you could buy ammo for $3 box. Hell, I didn't even know most people gave a crap about them until I came here. Seriously, does this pair look that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
You took a really nice $500 rifle and started the process of spending even more money to turn it into a $300 abomination. I hope you kept the bayonet. I don't know how we'll get by without you, but I think we might.
"Abomination" really? Your opinion but I don't think so. That's the bad part about the internet, people say things to others that they'd never say to their face and never giving it a second thought. Would you say that to your buddy who did something you didn't care for? I doubt it.

Quote:
yea i appreaciate how falconlover is using a different topcover and gas tube assembly so it can be reverted vary rapidly
you know what really makes it look tacticalled out is that twist on brake that holds the cleaning rod they also serve as a muzzle protector for cleaning
"Twist on brake" What are you talking about? There is no add-on brake on my rifle so somebody is talking out of their neck.

As I've said before, you can have your opinion on what MINE looks like but that's just fine with me. If I'd known it was going to cause such an outrage I'd kept it to myself. I seriously didn't know that it turned into such a collector piece and didn't mean to offend. Hell, if I thought I had some highly prized piece do you really think I'd have changed anything? To some I apologize, to others

John

Last edited by 65falconlover; 12-05-2012 at 8:48 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

wow you are really asking to get flamed. did you seriously put a BSA laser on that AR, and what is up with the mag in the SKS????

Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

If the guy doesn't know, the guy doesn't know.

65falconlover, I will give you the rundown on these SKS rifles if you want. PM me and we can chat.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Reasearch it? Nope. I bought this 18 years ago when they had racks of them at Turners for $129.00. They were everywhere, "hop up" parts were as popular as the AR stuff is now and you could buy ammo for $3 box. Hell, I didn't even know most people gave a crap about them until I came here. Seriously, does this pair look that bad?

"Abomination" really? Your opinion but I don't think so. That's the bad part about the internet, people say things to others that they'd never say to their face and never giving it a second thought. Would you say that to your buddy who did something you didn't care for? I doubt it.

"Twist on brake" What are you talking about? There is no add-on brake on my rifle so somebody is talking out of their neck.

As I've said before, you can have your opinion on what MINE looks like but that's just fine with me. If I'd known it was going to cause such an outrage I'd kept it to myself. I seriously didn't know that it turned into such a collector piece and didn't mean to offend. Hell, if I thought I had some highly prized piece do you really think I'd have changed anything? To some I apologize, to others

John
oh boy, here it comes...
!!WANT TO BUY and looking for shooter/beater/reenacting grade German Waffen proofed handguns from the WWII era. I just want shooters, Im not looking to spend oodles of money, I just want shootable examples to play with!!

!!!Also looking for a shooter/rack grade USGI M1 Carbine (Earlier the date the better)!!!

Wanna help me out? Email me at: mauser3340@gmail.com

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
wow you are really asking to get flamed. did you seriously put a BSA laser on that AR, and what is up with the mag in the SKS????
Clearly I did and it's a Colt in .22 cal. It's been working great so far with several hundred of rounds threw it so I'm okay with it. The removable mag on my SKS is no longer, I've since converted it back to the original 10 rd. fixed. Got anything else I need to explain to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mauser View Post
oh boy, here it comes...
Whatever......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
If the guy doesn't know, the guy doesn't know.

65falconlover, I will give you the rundown on these SKS rifles if you want. PM me and we can chat.
Finally, a nice sensible person willing to help a guy out rather than bash an apparent uninformed fellow gun lover. Please educate me 'cause I'm obviously not an SKS expert, nor do I pretend to be.

John
Old 12-05-2012, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

John

oh i'm just saying if you are gonna tac it out you might as well go full hog

the one i had looked kind of like this

http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Muzzle-.../dp/B001ENYP8A

but you dont want to get one you have to pin on cause you have to knock the sight pin out
Old 12-05-2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
oh i'm just saying if you are gonna tac it out you might as well go full hog

the one i had looked kind of like this

http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Muzzle-.../dp/B001ENYP8A

but you dont want to get one you have to pin on cause you have to knock the sight pin out
Okay, yer really gonna call me a dork when I tell you that I actually have one that I bought back in the day. I never installed it, and only because I couldn't get the pin out! I didn't want to drill into it and ruin something I couldn't replace. Okay, I confessed. I feel better now! Oh, and I'm not planning on putting it on either.

John
Old 12-06-2012, 4:57 AM

FFL03, FL & UT CCW, MD Designated Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeeler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettster View Post
I need a C & R!
Try cocaine, it is less expensive and less addictive.