Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-04-2012, 7:22 AM

In Soviet Russia, the AK runs over Monster Trucks.

-W
Old 12-04-2012, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

I think that emotional investment has a lot to do with how someone treats their posessions. The more money spent the better the treatment. AK rifle users are for more ready to "abuse" their rifles compared to the average AR user. Mosin users vrs Rem 700 users. If the emotional aspect is removed you see the practical use of a firearm and treat it like a 5/8" combo wrench in a set of combo wrenches. Tools to be used and function when needed.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-04-2012, 7:45 AM

My AR has a DD BCA,, does that count?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity
Old 12-04-2012, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

All my guns get dropped, it's sort of a welcome to the family/superstition thing. The habbit carried over from MX racing, it's better to drop your new bike in practice than during a race, same with helmets. All my new helmets get dropped in the pits. Stupid? Yes, but I haven't had a major crash during a race in over 10 years.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:31 AM

Some see it as a jewel... and others see it as a tool. Personally, I'm am more protective of my mountain bike than my AR.
Old 12-04-2012, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalXJ View Post
makes me want to get a DD ar
I second that.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM

This reply is not a response to any one else's post. Growing up, I was taught to respect and treat my firearms with care. I can't see abusing them for the heck of it. If in the way of usage a scratch is made then so be it. Another analogy would be as follows: I have framing hammers that can take a lot of pounding. Would I use my framing hammer to break up concrete blocks? Heck no. That is what a big slegde hammer is for. Would I thow a gun to the ground and into the dirt? No, that is what an empty beer can is for!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

I don't get when people don't put rounds through their rifles. Most of the guns I've owned see thousands and thousands, and I'm not a competition or "pro" shooter. I just shoot'em. That DD video is bonkers, but the things I've seen fail most often are the things hung on the rifle: Bad grips, rails, optics. Quality stuff has a higher chance of coming through it, and that includes a quality rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post
All my guns get dropped, it's sort of a welcome to the family/superstition thing. The habbit carried over from MX racing, it's better to drop your new bike in practice than during a race, same with helmets. All my new helmets get dropped in the pits. Stupid? Yes, but I haven't had a major crash during a race in over 10 years.
I like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Most people, after spending $1000 - $1500 on an AR, will by nature want to "baby" their investment. Especially after spending another $500 plus for an Eotech or Aimpoint.

They don't see it as "hardware" like the way servicemen or operators see the rifle as. To most people "hardware" is that cheap cordless drill they bought at Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

I have AKs. I don't abuse them or baby them. Heck, I don't even worry about cleaning them.

I do have a new AR and I will be handling that with some care. For example, I have to break-in my new AR per the mfg suggested break-in procedure. I was told if I don't do it, I'll chance getting it copper fouled which could affect accuracy. Did I need to do that with my AK? Absolutely not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laythor View Post
when people spend more then they can really afford they'll tend to baby an item. Car, tv, shoes, etc.

then there are the people who just really like a shiny new firearm and can't stand even the slightest blemish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubels View Post
I agree. I don't have an armory to go to to have my rifle fixed as part of my job. Also I am not a manufacture of ARs so I don't have a endless supply of them. I wont fell bad babying my AR and EoTech once I have it all together because the project would be a culmination of many years of wanting and saving for an AR. Scratches here and there are fine but I am not purposefully going to trash my rifle to prove a point. Any damage that needs to be fixed comes out of my pockets, which only gets in the way of another AR build.

Exactly... I have 1 gun right now, and I want it to work when I need it. If it gets dirty, no big deal, but I'm not going to put it in the mud. I worked hard to finish it, and invested more than half what i have into my car. My car wasn't expensive either, but I'm not going to abuse it because again, I want it to be there when I actually need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
How tough is your AR?
Mine is so tough, I once left it in the safe an entire year...an ENTIRE YEAR(!)...without any desiccants or de-humidifiers.

True story bro.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

I stopped being quite so harsh to my main battle rifle when I put a $500 optic on it. But generally, the AR platform is fairly rugged, and mine get thrashed a fair bit.

I was an armorer at the Depot Armory at MCRD San Diego for a number of years, and saw what happens when recruits totally thrash M16-A2's.

If you try using them for the bayonet course, they snap into parts... the aluminum receivers just can't handle buttstroking anything. (we tried issuing demill'd A1's for this, and got back a trash can full of bits).
Other than that, the main damage from dropping/etc was bent/broken front sight posts, front sight wings, screwed up ejection port covers, jammed up rear sights (too much sand stuck in the guts under the knobs), broken front sling swivels, and of course, cracked / popped off and gone skidding away hand-guards.
Once in a blue moon, some drill instructor would go ape-**** and throw some turds rifle down the squadbay, and it would end up with a bent barrel... but that's about it.
All of the other damage I saw every day was from extreme wear, not getting slammed about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
I stopped being quite so harsh to my main battle rifle when I put a $500 optic on it. But generally, the AR platform is fairly rugged, and mine get thrashed a fair bit.

I was an armorer at the Depot Armory at MCRD San Diego for a number of years, and saw what happens when recruits totally thrash M16-A2's.

If you try using them for the bayonet course, they snap into parts... the aluminum receivers just can't handle buttstroking anything. (we tried issuing demill'd A1's for this, and got back a trash can full of bits).
Other than that, the main damage from dropping/etc was bent/broken front sight posts, front sight wings, screwed up ejection port covers, jammed up rear sights (too much sand stuck in the guts under the knobs), broken front sling swivels, and of course, cracked / popped off and gone skidding away hand-guards.
Once in a blue moon, some drill instructor would go ape-**** and throw some turds rifle down the squadbay, and it would end up with a bent barrel... but that's about it.
All of the other damage I saw every day was from extreme wear, not getting slammed about.
That's what I was looking for, I knew it had to be out there. I don't doubt my rifle is tough, but I know everything has its limits
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

To me ARs are meant to take some abuse. Unless you have a collector's item (maybe an XM that saw combat), I see it as a tool. I'll take good care of it, I'll clean and lube it after each use, and I won't just throw them in the back of the truck, but I'm not going to cry when it gets scratched.

I have other guns like that - a Sig, a Kahr, a few shotguns - that I expect to see wear and even dings on at some point because I use them quite a bit.

Others are collector's pieces, which I won't go out of my way damaging.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I usually just throw mine in my trunk with ammo cans and whatever, without a case (soft of hard), but come the 1st of the year I am going to have to baby it in some protective cover because of Jerry Brown and all the other whiny bee-cheese...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM

I know my AR is tough but I do my best to not abuse it. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you. My favorite AR already came dinged up with a poor anodizing job from the factory.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM

I don't intentionally trash my AR, but I certainly don't spend any time mourning when I put a scratch in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I love meat. All in my mouth. Juices flowing down my mouth. And Id swallow
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtracrispy View Post
I don't intentionally trash my AR, but I certainly don't spend any time mourning when I put a scratch in it.
Thats why I have one of these

edit- your avatar is making me hungry
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM

I used to baby the hell out of every weapon I own. I would put a towel down on my table when Id go shooting. Freak out if it had a nick or scratch.. Lol. After being in the military, now I am way rougher on my guns haha. Seeing what we do to the weapons we have I realized my personal ones could really take a beating.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM

My AR is so tough, one time It swung around and karate chopped some dude in the neck with the B stock. Knocked that dudes head clean off!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibernier View Post
Thats why I have one of these

Yeah, but scratches add character!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibernier View Post

Me too, time for lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I love meat. All in my mouth. Juices flowing down my mouth. And Id swallow
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM

I am lmao @ how the op asked how tough is your AR and you guys are going on about scratches. On a serious note. My AR is super duper tough and stuff.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson View Post
Man I'm damn glad Hostess went out of business. That's one contingency I didn't prep for - attack of the Twinkie Army!!!

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-04-2012, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Man I'm damn glad Hostess went out of business. That's one contingency I didn't prep for - attack of the Twinkie Army!!!
I was hoping to see one time use sound suppressors in which case I would've been sad about them going out of business.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:01 PM

Fire 500 rounds, throw ar in the mud. fire 500 rounds. light ar on fire. throw ar in mud again. fire more rounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6cwh...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-04-2012, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah my original question was about physical durability like the receiver cracking or buffers breaking off
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM

In that case...
Hit it really hard with a hammer and its probably going to break.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM

They're generally tough, but you really need to take your own rifle out and put at least a thousand rounds through it and shake it down. I've had odd things happen over the years, and luckily only happened at the range.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
So I was having a discussion with a friend who wont lay his AR or any guns on anything less than a towel, and overall babies them.

I've thrown my 'battle rifle' from shooting height onto the ground in the desert, and it has been dropped a fair share of times, but he got me thinking about just how much abuse these can take with the receiver material and thickness(mainly around the barrel extension, where it seems most likely to get some torque)?

So any horror stories, testaments?

Oh and IBAKC (in before AK crowd)
Unless you are a vendor like DD showing the quality of your product, it is STUPID to intentionally abuse your firearm.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
That right there is exactly why I chose to build mine using Daniel Deffense parts.
Old 12-05-2012, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post

It's only stupid if it doesn't work... No reply on the durability of the AR as I do not currently own one (Though I'm saving, suggestions?)
Old 12-05-2012, 1:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDohnansky View Post
It's only stupid if it doesn't work... No reply on the durability of the AR as I do not currently own one (Though I'm saving, suggestions?)
Colt 6920!
Old 12-05-2012, 6:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My buddy dropped my then new LMT AR pistol on my Scar17. He looked like he was gonna cry. I just shrugged.

PS... see the bottom of my sig line
Old 12-05-2012, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Colt 6920!
^^^^ Agree, esp. if you are looking for a carbine sans rails and like the standard fixed front sight.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.
Old 12-05-2012, 8:01 AM

After watching that DD torture test, I woke up my AR and gave it a big hug. Then I function checked it and shoved back under the bed.
Old 12-05-2012, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson View Post
Quite possibly the stupidest video I've ever seen. Operator is an IDIOT if he cant get an AR to work.
Old 12-05-2012, 4:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Aw, I bet if you applied yourself you could think of another reason or two that you may need to ditch your rifle, but the rifle "majorly catching fire" is a good one!
If you don't practice it (any scenario), the day you need it, you'll have to think about it before doing it, not a good thing.
Personally, I like training that leaves no stone unturned and nothing unpracticed.
So do you practice throwing your mags like ninja stars and your rifle like a javelin? Don't wanna leave any stone unturned.

There should be no reason to drop your rifle in training. I don't baby any of my weapons but I'm also not going to throw it on the ground for no reason. In the military if you drop your weapon you will be on your face. It's the same with anything I own, I don't really baby it but I'm still not going to toss it on the ground. There's really no reason to simply throw it on the ground.
Old 12-05-2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
90+ percent of AR Owners will never put more than 500 rounds thru it.
I've done more than that in one day . . .
Old 12-05-2012, 6:26 PM

As a non-operator, I do not see the need to see how "tough" an AR could/should be. It is a tool, but I doubt it is necessary to take it to the breaking point.
Old 12-05-2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDohnansky View Post
Colt 6920!!
Old 12-05-2012, 6:32 PM

No Problems here!