Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-09-2012, 8:40 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

yes, you have reason to be a Happy Hubby!

i want to thank you for posting here. i hope it serves as a learning lesson to others taking a new female shooter [actually, any new shooter] to the range and/or trying to encourage someone to even think about gunownership.

new shooters need to be reminded, i think, to expect more recoil in higher calibers and to make sure to hold that pistol firmly no matter the caliber.

thanks again, XDJYo. she sounds like a candidate for wanting her own gun!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-09-2012, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
yes, you have reason to be a Happy Hubby!

i want to thank you for posting here. i hope it serves as a learning lesson to others taking a new female shooter [actually, any new shooter] to the range and/or trying to encourage someone to even think about gunownership.

new shooters need to be reminded, i think, to expect more recoil in higher calibers and to make sure to hold that pistol firmly no matter the caliber.

thanks again, XDJYo. she sounds like a candidate for wanting her own gun!
Thanks MZ!

I've been a Happy Hubby for over 25 years!

I think my fault was not warning her since I knew she would get a little freaked out by the .45-so I didn't want to reinforce that 'mindset'. But, I should have 'reminded' her to keep a good strong grip.

Yes, we're looking right now for a single-stack semi-auto. A lot of them are compact pistols, but a full size single-stack would be ideal to keep the weight up to help with recoil. She liked the Ruger Mark III, but I want to stay away from a .22 and from what I hear, it's a bear to clean. (I WOULD be the one doing all the cleaning too).

Thanks again all!
Old 09-10-2012, 3:01 PM

A lot of good advice in this thread. I wouldn't say it was geared directly at women as it is towards inexperienced shooters (not including the cleavage/attire commentary)

I've taken a lot of my friends shooting for their first time, from girlfriends to coworkers to friends wives to even my girlfriend's mom. All of them loved it, and all of them stated "thanks for making me comfortable. it was scary at first but you didn't pressure me"

After making sure they know (and can recite back) the 4 safety rules, I usually start with familiarizing them with the guns at home, with no live ammunition, and show them how to load magazines with snap caps. After that, i show them the controls of the firearm. After they know the controls, I will show them how to chamber/load with snapcaps.Show them dry firing and grip/stance/breathing.

Once they're comfortable with all of that, we go to the range. The first time i took my girlfriend to the range, i taught her how to shoot a 45 at the 25yard line. I suggest not doing that. find a range that allows 3 or 7 yard outdoors if you can. (Shooting is much more fun when you can actually hit the target, instead of peppering the cardboard around it, right?)

Since then, everyone else has gotten a magazine with one round. I tell them to talk me through their actions and to ask if they're unsure. After they're loaded up with the magazine with a single .22, they're nervous at first then in love.

Single bullet in a mag will prevent bumpfires or dropping a loaded firearm. Once the shooter has fired a single, they're anxious to unload a magazine. Then i'll give them a single of 9mm or .45, and repeat the process.

It's just a matter of letting them go at their own pace with confidence that you are there to guide and assist.
Old 09-10-2012, 3:21 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

yes, SgtMerc, shooting certainly is much more fun when you can actually hit the target! good point to make sure a new shooter starts at the 7 yard line.

i have not yet seen a 3 yard range but the los altos gun range up on highway 35 has a 7 yard set up. i will confess that this is the one i still use. it would be hard for me to justify self-defense at much more than that and admittedly my eye sight is not good at further distances.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-11-2012, 7:52 AM

XD, Welcome!

We're glad to have all civil input here. You don't have to be a girl, just decent.

I'm really glad to hear that you and your bride had such a good time. I'd just gently invite her to come along, promise lunch out, into the bargain. And be prepared to help her choose a gun for Christmas.

There's a ton of good information on this thread on how women can choose their own first gun. (There's also a ton of information on why you shouldn't try to do it for her.

Tell her to sit in on this forum too. It's one of the liveliest and most fun in Calguns.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-11-2012 at 6:40 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
XD, Welcome!

We're glad to have all civil input here. You don't have to be a girl, just decent.

I'm really glad to hear that you and your bride had such a good time. I'd just gently invite her to come along, promise lunch out, into the bargain. And be prepared to help her choose a gun for Christmas.

There's a ton of good information on this thread on how women can choose their own first gun. (There's also a ton of information on why you shouldn't try to do it for her.

Tell her to sit in one this forum too. It's one of the liveliest and most fun in Calguns.
Thanks Bonnie!

Will do. She's not much of a computer or forum type of person though.

I will be seeking input for what pistols to look at when we go shopping. Since we're both newbies to this, there are a ton that I'm sure we don't know about and the pros and cons of each. I know enough that each person will have 'that' pistol that feels good for them.

Funny story. Last night, we were doing some dry fire practice with my 1911. And she goes 'Boy! It's so much easier without any bullets!'.
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-11-2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks Bonnie!

Will do. She's not much of a computer or forum type of person though.
(edited here)
Funny story. Last night, we were doing some dry fire practice with my 1911. And she goes 'Boy! It's so much easier without any bullets!'.
Priceless! Totally Priceless!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
CGSSA Associate

Just thought I would bump this one and add my 2 cents.

ALL really really good tips. I also like to warn the new person about what to expect IE LOUD noises, hot brass, and how they should deal with each. For example if hot brass hits you SET THE WEAPON DOWN then deal with the brass.

If possible teach them the operations and safe handling of a gun with dummy rounds first. Also informing the student of the range rules and etiquette is a good idea so everyone is on the same page. I say start with a .22 and see how they do and then go from there.

I start all new shooters on a .22 and see how they are handling it. If they are yelping, laughing hysterically and flinching they stay on the .22 or get pulled off the line until they can gather themselves (good thing for me ive never had someone react that way). If not I move them to larger calibers if they want. But I always warn them of the bigger recoils and "bang" factor.

I like the tip of staying by the shooter in case something happens you can just take the gun from their hands.

If I dont feel safe with that shooter on the line then thats it for them sorry. Shooting is a fun sport but safety is very serious.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM

I have discovered that a bandanna tied loosely around the neck, cowboy style, is a great defense against "brass down the neckline". Even with crew-necks. I also wear a cap, even indoors. This combo, along with eyes and ears really cuts down the vulnerable areas and works like a champ.

And, neener, neener, one of the SoCal C3's just sent me a pink camo Calguns cap. What a hoot!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

I would actually suggest those fluted earplugs that still allow one to hear speech. I bought mine originally for concerts, but they sell them at walmart near the ammo.

I used to be freaked out by guns, but my friend cured that by taking me out with his mom to some park land where plinking is common. We set up some tin cans and filled them with holes from his .22 long rifle. The only shots we heard for the first few trips were those we made ourselves. This helped me adjust to the sound of gunfire and setting up our own targets was an exercise in learning gun safety.

So to sum up:
1. Quiet outdoor range or parkland that allows plinking.
2. If possible bring another woman who already likes to shoot.
3. Start with a smaller, easy to use cartridge like the .22 or .9mm
4. Women are generally more verbally oriented-- Emphasize warnings such as "Clear the range" and "weapon is loaded/hot" etc.
5. If possible, allow the new shooter to choose and position her targets.
Old 10-24-2012, 3:39 PM

Lots of good advice in this thread. To it, I would (shamelessly, she says) add a blog post I wrote for a friend's blog: Connecting Guns and Women.

The main thing I think I'd underline is this: If you commit to take someone else to the range, your primary focus should be on making sure they have a safe and enjoyable time. If you get to shoot too, that's a bonus, but remember that the trip is about them, and about making it fun enough for them that they want to keep shooting.

- Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown
Old 11-25-2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
No cleavage
No open toed shoes
No front buckles on bra straps (if shooting shoulder fired guns with recoil)
Don't be embarrassed when one or more of them out shoots you-Women who want to shoot are often better than the guys who think they can shoot
Bring extra hats, sunscreen, bottled water, TP (you never know) and munchies

DO NOT be an azz by trying to be funny and slipping a magnum shell in with low powered rounds
the last part. i knd of did this today. not to be an azz or funny.
i started her out on my .357 revolver, had her dry fire, then about 8 wadcutters, onto some .38, then loaded 1 magnum and told her, she did not not like it and we went back to wadcutters.

however. i then had her shoot my ruger 10-22 and moved up to my lever action .357. got her comfortable with it wiht .38s. then had a blank(to see if she was flinching, she wasn't) a few more .38s and
1 .357, i stopped her and made sure she put the stock tight to her, hands clear of any possible powder discharge. i view it as a kind of D**k move, but at that point she had shot about .40rds rifle and 15(ish)rds handgun, then told her that's it for those and we resumed with .38 and .22lr.

i kind of view it as the pot is hot lesson. do everything you can to give the info and i think the jump in that rifle is small enough.

see below why i came in here.
Old 11-25-2012, 4:16 PM

what are some good guns to have for taking small kids/women? i took my friend and his wife today. my 4in model 19 .357 was a bit too big for her hand and a touch too heavy. the stock on my (plastic)10-22 was longer than the width of her chest. and her support hand could not clear past the magazine(my worries came true, she got a small "gas" burn) and my 50yr old stevens tube fed wood stock was way too heavy.

anyways i intend to teach my nieces/nephews to shoot, and a few coworkers of mine who are 5ft nothing 100nothing. i am not out to make them sharp shooters, but get them into it and the safe handling drilled in. then maybe some appleseed project and let them use my stuff.
Old 11-25-2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donald View Post
what are some good guns to have for taking small kids/women? i took my friend and his wife today. my 4in model 19 .357 was a bit too big for her hand and a touch too heavy. the stock on my (plastic)10-22 was longer than the width of her chest. and her support hand could not clear past the magazine(my worries came true, she got a small "gas" burn) and my 50yr old stevens tube fed wood stock was way too heavy.

anyways i intend to teach my nieces/nephews to shoot, and a few coworkers of mine who are 5ft nothing 100nothing. i am not out to make them sharp shooters, but get them into it and the safe handling drilled in. then maybe some appleseed project and let them use my stuff.
Maybe a smaller 22 revolver might be easier for them to handle vs the length of a rifle? I'm not sure where you were shooting, but if they have a bench rest, then they could prop the rifle up on the rest and the hold the stock and worry only about the trigger? (Not much of a rifle shooter).
Old 11-25-2012, 5:16 PM

Give them instructions at home before going to the range. Let them handle the firearm(s) unloaded before going to the range. It'll be easier to hear you and to pay attention (no gunshots in the background. At the range, go over it again.
Old 11-25-2012, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornPuppy View Post
Give them instructions at home before going to the range. Let them handle the firearm(s) unloaded before going to the range. It'll be easier to hear you and to pay attention (no gunshots in the background. At the range, go over it again.
this is my preferred, but this was the night before he wanted to join us( wants to buy one and she is scared) and they go there an hour after us. and if you are not there early you are waiting a while for a lane.

i even have snap caps for all my firearms for this very reason. i enjoy doing this bu i get in very little trigger time, but still burn up my ammo.
Old 11-25-2012, 5:42 PM

Quick advise:

Go over safety at home as well as handling and operating the firearms you wish to use.

Bring smaller caliber guns.

Consider blm. They will be more comfortable without the crowd of a range.

Finally, constructive criticism without being pushy.

My .02

Experience- taught gf, sister and mom.
Old 11-26-2012, 1:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donald View Post

Having smaller/inexperienced/new shooters fire from a bench rest is one good way for them to develop good habits and to see how a firearm acts in their hands -- without them having to put too much stock in achieving accuracy initially.

So after the first excitement of firing in the standing position, have them sit down and shoot with support (elbows on the table and using whatever secondary support is available at the range). Tell them if their accuracy improves while bench resting, the next step is for them to duplicate that kind of steadiness in firing with their hands, arms and shoulders.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon289 View Post
I would like to bring a couple females to the range, including my mother. I was wondering if the ladies here had any tips to help me make them more comfortable. All of them are afraid of loud noises, exploding things, and would be skittish at a range. I'd like to help them feel more comfortable so firstly they enjoy the experience, but also remain safe (not dropping the gun, not having their wits scared out of them etc.)

This is my first time posting on the ladies forum as well so if I broke any rules by posting and being a male, or anything else please just delete this thread.

Thanks!
I would bring good hearing/eye protection for them. Give them run through about range safety, let them browse HSC booklet, go over it with them for a few minutes, shoot a 22, show them to use it as well. Then later as they have more fun/experience, move to a 9mm Did this yesterday for a co worker beginning was 22, end of day? 9mm. No fuss no must, and as I heard, half an hour ago she passed her hsc test, and purchased a G19 & an 870extac, yes she shot a 12g too

Goodluck!

And lastly? Be patient and understanding, for some folks its scary as driving test when they were a kid, or learning to drive stick and coming to an uphill lol. Have fun!
Old 11-28-2012, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveDrab View Post
Quick advise:

Go over safety at home as well as handling and operating the firearms you wish to use.

Bring smaller caliber guns.

Consider blm. They will be more comfortable without the crowd of a range.

Finally, constructive criticism without being pushy.

My .02

Experience- taught gf, sister and mom.
Also, public ranges are usually much less crowded on weekdays. Less crowd = less noise, which makes it easier for the new folks to hear what you're saying, and vice versa.
Old 12-02-2012, 8:07 PM
CGN Contributor

I always start new shooter with .22lr. if shooting handguns then I go to 9mm and then .45 some women I have taught go to .45 and like it some go back to 9mm whatever makes them happy at that point I dont push it. I always get them to try the other calibers but then its up to them. also first few shots I only load 1 rd for them. that way if they freak out or do something dangerous the gun is unloaded so its a little safer. I think the first shot u dont know what to expect so its kind of a break. (I always worry about a new shooter freaking out and dropping the gun to the ground, this has never happen to me but if it did I will be glad it is empty)

My last tip on new women shooter or any new shooter is I always take and have handy wipes in my range bag. the ladies really like being able to wash there hands after the portapotie or before the drive home so do I thats why I have them.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. -William Shakespeare

NRA Life Member
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
SAF Member
CCRKBA Member
CRPA Member
JPFO Member

Last edited by bigcasino; 12-02-2012 at 8:10 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM

I concur with starting out with the .22lr.

I was trying to spend some trigger time with a friend of mine. Her husband is very hesitant in shooting any of his guns. I started her out on a Buckmark and she was having fun with it. I helped her on loading the magazines and showing her how to rack the slide, how to hold etc. Her husband was in his own lane firing his guns. I think this was a case of both of them being a little frustrated with teaching and learning.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:02 PM

And I say again, for new shooters, whether women or men, the place to start is with a professionally taught handgun safety class, with class and range time.

Please, please, gentlemen, read the early posts on this thread and you will get detailed-step-by-step instruction on how to get a woman into shooting. Read the ones written by women, in particular. They simply know more about how women's bodies react to handguns.

And then there was one hilarious post from a woman shooter who said

"If my husband can't buy me a bra that fits, why would he be able to pick me a gun?"