Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-02-2012, 4:57 PM

Default Remington 700 SPS

Well I bit the bullet and picked up a 700 SPS AAC-SD model. Was a super deal and I couldnt pass up. Its still in jail for the next few days.
As I know nothing about scopes/rails and muzzle breaks I was looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction. Shooting will take place anywhere from 100 to 1000yds. Is the steel case ammo alright to use here and there? Ive been seeing mixed reviews for the .308. I've used some in my .40cal before without issue.
Old 12-02-2012, 6:04 PM

I have heard that the steel case ammo has potential to scar/scratch your action surfaces due to steel on steel vice brass on steel. I am not for sure this is a verifed issue, but seems valid to me, like the steel could cause a burr that then catches on brasss shells maybe???
Old 12-02-2012, 6:08 PM

I don't know much, but I do believe it is muzzle "brake" and not "break."
Old 12-02-2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
I don't know much, but I do believe it is muzzle "brake" and not "break."
Ok, ok so I didn't proof read
Old 12-02-2012, 8:34 PM

What are your intentions with this rifle? Hunting? Just plinking around or long range precision? That might dictate the accessories you would want in your new 700 along with ammo selection.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:09 PM

I'm with dano. I've always been taught brass>steel so the extra effort (in my opinion) is worth shooting brass casings.
Although, if you shot it every now and then I can't see it doing any harm. I mean, the fact that steel cased ammo is even made says something about it's usability and I don't see any harm in shooting it every now and then.

Now as far as scopes/rails, 20 moa rails tend to be the most common and would give you a good medium considering you want to shoot somewhere between 100-1000yds.
However, you need to take into account the tube size, elevation capabilities of your scope....
So with that being said, what we really need to know is your budget for optics.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khw9mm View Post
What are your intentions with this rifle? Hunting? Just plinking around or long range precision? That might dictate the accessories you would want in your new 700 along with ammo selection.
This is going to be a range rifle. Not looking to get into competition shooting, just looking to shoot. Both messing around and long range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33 Josh View Post
I'm with dano. I've always been taught brass>steel so the extra effort (in my opinion) is worth shooting brass casings.
Although, if you shot it every now and then I can't see it doing any harm. I mean, the fact that steel cased ammo is even made says something about it's usability and I don't see any harm in shooting it every now and then.

Now as far as scopes/rails, 20 moa rails tend to be the most common and would give you a good medium considering you want to shoot somewhere between 100-1000yds.
However, you need to take into account the tube size, elevation capabilities of your scope....
So with that being said, what we really need to know is your budget for optics.
I would be willing to spend up to $600 on a good optic. Hell, thats more then I spent on the gun :P
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What is your accuracy requirement?

If you are looking at steel cased ammo, don't be disappointed if it shoots 3 moa groups.
If you want to shoot sub moa groups like every single person on the Internet, plan on only using match ammo that's gonna cost around $1 to $1.75 per round depending on where you buy it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For $600 budget on a scope, mount and rings, I suggest these:

Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with mildot reticle and side focus
http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckm...pe-P42210.aspx

Or Bushnell Elite tactical 5-15x40 with mildot reticle
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Eli...pe-P48272.aspx

TPS 20 moa base
http://swfa.com/TPS-XP-Tactical-1-Pi...se-P42035.aspx

TPS rings
http://swfa.com/TPS-Tactical-Scope-1-Rings-P41891.aspx

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-02-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
What is your accuracy requirement?

If you are looking at steel cased ammo, don't be disappointed if it shoots 3 moa groups.
If you want to shoot sub moa groups like every single person on the Internet, plan on only using match ammo that's gonna cost around $1 to $1.75 per round depending on where you buy it.
I fully understand that I'm not going to have sup moa groups with the cheap russian ammo. My question is the risk with the cost. I've been using it in my .40cal without flaw but have been reading mixed reviews about the larger rifle rounds.

Quote:

TPS 20 moa base

TPS rings
Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex332 View Post
I fully understand that I'm not going to have sup moa groups with the cheap russian ammo. My question is the risk with the cost. I've been using it in my .40cal without flaw but have been reading mixed reviews about the larger rifle rounds.
It's probably not going to blow your gun up.
If you want to learn to shoot a precision rifle, you will need precision ammo.
There is no such thing as "just practicing" with crap ammo and expecting to learn from it.

If all you want to do is shoot huge targets at 100yds or just feel recoil, the crap ammo is fine...

Old 12-03-2012, 5:27 AM

Does anyone know if the barrel on the 700 SPS Tactical ever wears out? If so, what is the round count of that barrel?
Old 12-03-2012, 6:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All rifle barrels wear out. 308s are one of the best centerfire rifles for barrel life, most people who shoot them will say you will get 5K to 10K of useable accuracy out of a 308 barrel. Enough that I have yet to shoot out a barrel in any of my precision rifles.

I never understand why people spend money on a rifle because they "want to shoot long range" and then they shoot the cheapest crap ammo they can find. I see it all the time at my local club, people will be blasting away at targets that are 500 to 800 yds away and they won't be hitting anything the entire time they are at the range. Then they leave dissappointed where they would have had a much better experience shooting good match ammo and hitting a few targets. An analogy would be someone buying a used Corvette and putting tractor tires on to save money.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex332 View Post
This is going to be a range rifle. Not looking to get into competition shooting, just looking to shoot. Both messing around and long range.
Why not? Come out to a match at Angeles or west end gun club...anywhere and I guarantee you will be hooked after you get some basic dope on the gun!

http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 12-03-2012, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Take a good look at the SWFA 10x.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 12-03-2012, 9:17 AM

Quote:

TPS 20 moa base

TPS rings
100% agreed. I doubt you'd ever need anything stronger than around 14-15x, and to find a scope that still has good clarity and quality at higher magnifications would mean even more $$.

I used to have the buckmaster on one of my hunting rifles, great scope.

(The bushnell is a little pricier, but is probably a better scope. I've never owned one though so I'm not sure.)

You can get a good deal on the nikon for $250 here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Buckma...item35c22bac51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Take a good look at the SWFA 10x.
I doubt he'd want a fixed magnification. Just an assumption though!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Come on folks.Lets buy a decent gun and put some decent ammo through it.Get a decent scope and really appreciate what you spent your hard earned money on.Spend as much as you can afford on the scope,rings and mount.
I do not think anyone is going to be on here saying they know of decent steel case ammo.If a pistol at 15 yds works fine with it,Great.A rifle is being asked to go out alot further.
I hear folks more often than nought saying their rifle will not group for s**t and maybe they should buy some good ammo to try it.I try and tell them it is the gun that that is bad and sell it to me for $200.
I reload for everything,and even my least expensive rifles shoot sub 1" at 100yds.Yea that includes a Mini 14 as well.It is a sometimes quite a task to find what a rifle likes.I would rather shoot 20 rds well than 100rds not so well.
Old 12-03-2012, 2:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

SWFA 10x scope, 20moa 1-piece base with some decent rings and some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo will have you sorted out.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrich View Post
Why not? Come out to a match at Angeles or west end gun club...anywhere and I guarantee you will be hooked after you get some basic dope on the gun!
Oh I know I'll love it! One day Ill get into it. Just have other things going on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotegunner View Post
Come on folks.Lets buy a decent gun and put some decent ammo through it.Get a decent scope and really appreciate what you spent your hard earned money on.Spend as much as you can afford on the scope,rings and mount.
I do not think anyone is going to be on here saying they know of decent steel case ammo.If a pistol at 15 yds works fine with it,Great.A rifle is being asked to go out alot further.
I hear folks more often than nought saying their rifle will not group for s**t and maybe they should buy some good ammo to try it.I try and tell them it is the gun that that is bad and sell it to me for $200.
I reload for everything,and even my least expensive rifles shoot sub 1" at 100yds.Yea that includes a Mini 14 as well.It is a sometimes quite a task to find what a rifle likes.I would rather shoot 20 rds well than 100rds not so well.
I didnt mean to open a can of worms about ammo. Like I said I know Im not going to group with the steel case. Well aware of that. I also plan on buying the match grade so that I can group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILVSMOG View Post
SWFA 10x scope, 20moa 1-piece base with some decent rings and some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo will have you sorted out.
Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
If you want to learn to shoot a precision rifle, you will need precision ammo.
There is no such thing as "just practicing" with crap ammo and expecting to learn from it.
Amen!

BTW, anyone know a good vendor for Federal Gold Medal 308 168 gr Matchking?

Last edited by ulpian; 12-03-2012 at 7:18 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpian View Post
Amen!

BTW, anyone know a good vendor for Federal Gold Medal 308 168 gr Matchking?
I get mine from sportsmans warehouse. $22.99 p/box of 20. Good stuff.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...6039/cat115305

They have the 175gn too for the same price.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Everything is about how much you want to spend and what you are using it for....My buddy bought a Millett LRS-1 and loves it...Shoots .5 MOA all day up to 100yrds and is great beyond. We shoot at SLOSA so we get a nice distance to shoot from. However, he ordered a JAE stock...He wanted something that fit better than the normal stock...So as you can see his priorities were different. I would not go JAE but there are great stocks for considerably less and there are a lot of pricey scopes out there but if you multipurpose it, then a pricey scope will just get banged up and might not serve your purpose or you might want something that fits better because the stock stock is just all over the place....So purpose and budget is what you need to consider.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.