Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-02-2012, 6:23 PM

Default featureless inovations?

If it ever gets to the point where we have to go featureless to keep our rifles, i was wondering why the parts being introduced ( hammerhead and the new fs15 ),why would someone need to totally change the Pistol grip to one of these, if they have to one day or want to use hicap? I guess i over simplify things, all you would need is a cap for the PG and not some long stock variation and reinvent the wheel. I prefer my ar stocks they way they are, but maybe there's no money to be made in a 2 dollar PG cap.
my 2cents

-- John Wayne
Old 12-02-2012, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What in the world are you talking about?

If you want to go featureless, you can't have a pistol grip. Not everyone wants a grip wrap, not everyone wants a hammerhead. Using a large capacity magazine is not the only reason. I don't care what sort of tool you have, riveted glove, gpik, ubbt, etc. I can still change my magazines faster by just hitting the button. I don't have a tool to get lost, I don't have to rely on specific magazines(if that's what your tool is).

What do you mean by 2 dollar PG cap? Putting a cap on the pistol grip so you can stick something in it doesn't make it featureless, nor is leaving a tool in there for a bullet button faster than just hitting the mag release.
Old 12-02-2012, 8:11 PM

I thought i was pretty plain, think about it, a cap blocks off anything, whether its a baseball cap or a pop bottle cap. I simple cap( block off) with nothing else attached is all thats needed to block off the PG, not screw anything else to it!
I have a preban bushmaster correctly registered and a couple dozen hi caps. I also have another post ban ar and ar pistol. I prefer the large cap but dont want to sacrifice the PG until i am forced to, so i use a BB for now on my post bans.
Maybe to be sure i should be clear(er)
Remove the pistol grip and put a little block off ( cap) where the PG was. Ex its REMOVED and no hammerhead or fs15 sticking out.

-- John Wayne
Old 12-02-2012, 8:18 PM

There are much better ideas than shooting without any grip at all

Wow......genius idea. Have Larue make a lower with a built in rail on the bottom of the lower reciever and a grip that uses e larue mount system. Snap off - snap on.

Last edited by BRANDON7766; 12-02-2012 at 9:27 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wait...

So you want to remove the PG, and then just put a cap to hold the safety detent and spring. What is it that you plan on holding when you actually shoot? Such a device existed(and sucked) because you didn't have anything on the rifle to grab. No one makes it these days because it's moot considering monsterman, hammerhead, u-15, etc. Why would you want a featureless rifle with no place to grab onto at all? That's just... dumb.

edit: It was called the SRB, you can find a little info here: http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/HistoryOLL

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_11/345895_.html&page=1 you can find some pictures there.

Last edited by Merc1138; 12-02-2012 at 8:27 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 8:29 PM

No i dont "want to" I said and ill repeat " if i had to for new ban laws" Hmmm i guess 50 million hunters are dumb shooting their deer rifles with no PG? Its called a handguard, im sure your ar's have them. Maybe i can order a new weatherby 7mm mag deer rifle with a pistol grip,lol

-- John Wayne
Old 12-02-2012, 8:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX View Post
No i dont "want to" I said and ill repeat " if i had to for new ban laws" Hmmm i guess 50 million hunters are dumb shooting their deer rifles with no PG? Its called a handguard, im sure your ar's have them. Maybe i can order a new weatherby 7mm mag deer rifle with a pistol grip,lol
Oh boy.

I have to wonder if you're aware of what an AR-15 actually is.

If you remove the pistol grip, and replace it with a cap that does nothing to hold the safety spring and detent, where is your trigger finger hand going to go? You do realize that a "weatherby 7mm mag deer rifle" doesn't rely on the forend to hold the rifle, right? Since you either didn't bother to click on the links I provided for you, let me copy/paste an image.

Does that look anything like the weatherby you mentioned with regards to somewhere to place your hand? I supposed you could hook your thumb over the buffer tube if you're some sort of giant-handed monster, but now your thumb would be in the way of the CH while having to reach past the forward assist to pull the trigger.

Here is a weatherby rifle.

Do you understand now?
Old 12-02-2012, 8:42 PM

so if you put a hammerhead on you would have the same thing to hold on to, nothing as its facing back

-- John Wayne
Old 12-02-2012, 8:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX View Post
so if you put a hammerhead on you would have the same thing to hold on to, nothing as its facing back
What? You grab the hammerhead.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pa...rations-2.html

Configuration 3 allows you to get your thumb over the top. Configuration 4 doesn't allow your thumb over the top but you can still use your other 3 fingers wrapped around the bottom.

Are you just trolling or something now? You're commenting on things and making silly statements and it's like you've never understood how to grip a "traditional" stock on a bolt action hunting rifle.

Compare that to the SRB image I posted above. If you still can't figure out the difference...
Old 12-02-2012, 8:50 PM

Old 12-02-2012, 8:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Datsun510 View Post
Must be. The SRB had it's purpose(although you could have just sawed a pistol grip off), and it just doesn't make sense today. All the OP has to do is pick up an AR and try to get his thumb over the buffer tube and pull the trigger, it should be obvious how that's different than the weatherby he mentioned.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:00 PM

OP, this is how awkward an AR would be without a grip,..

Old 12-02-2012, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Datsun510 View Post
OP, this is how awkward an AR would be without a grip,..

Slap a pic rail adapter on it, flip it upside down, leave it as a single shot, call it a tactical mini key.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just wish someone made a featureless stock with ergonomics similar to an AR pistol grip. Something similar to Thordsen's stock, but with the grip more like an AR one.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 12-02-2012, 9:42 PM

THen it probably wouldnt be featureless... Its the ergos of a pistol grip that made them a target by idiots in Sacramento

spray fire from the hip enabled!
Old 12-02-2012, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
I just wish someone made a featureless stock with ergonomics similar to an AR pistol grip. Something similar to Thordsen's stock, but with the grip more like an AR one.
The whole point of these grips and stocks is so it's not like a basic AR pistol grip.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM

Title of the thread is fantastic! So much innovation here......
I rarely venture out of the Hunting/Fishing section.... I'm going back now...

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
The whole point of these grips and stocks is so it's not like a basic AR pistol grip.
Sure, except for the ergonomics could be better than a brick (hammerhead) or angled brick (hammerhead). I'm waiting to try the Thordsen one.

Now, how about an AR pistol grip with the rest of the stock attached to it? One just needs to wrap the thumb around it, without a thumbhole (since there'd be no hole).

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sure, except for the ergonomics could be better than a brick (hammerhead) or angled brick (hammerhead). I'm waiting to try the Thordsen one.

Now, how about an AR pistol grip with the rest of the stock attached to it? One just needs to wrap the thumb around it, without a thumbhole (since there'd be no hole).
I guess I need to clarify my statement a little better:

The whole point of these grips and stocks is so it's not like a basic AR pistol grip, so we can have featureless builds without getting arrested and going to court to defend AW charges.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
are you not aware of how "pistol grip" is defined for the purpose of the AW law? there's a reason grips and stocks for featureless ARs look the way they do.
"They seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers who have seized power by force. These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-03-2012, 9:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:

So what you are saying is you want a better contoured hammerhead?

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
+1

Yes please!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
That would work.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Grant Early
CARifles@gmail.com
Old 12-03-2012, 1:35 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Solar Tactical grip wrap. You get used to putting your thumb up instead of around pretty quick.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

LOL...this thread.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 12-03-2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
Solar Tactical grip wrap. You get used to putting your thumb up instead of around pretty quick.
after just 1 range trip, I started shooting my non-featureless that way too. You get used to ti pretty quick. I have ambi selectors on every rifle so it makes things easier.
Old 12-03-2012, 2:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Unfortunately this thread can only be saved by turning it into an AR pistol picture thread:

As of March 3 2016, Exile Machine has discontinued vendor/retailer status with Calguns.net and we are no longer providing support or product updates via this site. All queries should be directed through our website at this link:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/contact-us.html
Old 12-03-2012, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Soooooo, has anyone tried to design something U-15-like, for sale?

I am SURE that someone great like Exile Machine could come up with something...

Any thoughts, Exile?
Old 12-03-2012, 3:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Any thoughts, Exile?
We're hoping the SB23 features ban goes away in the courts very soon and we can all get back to arguing over the merits of 45ACP vs 9mm.
As of March 3 2016, Exile Machine has discontinued vendor/retailer status with Calguns.net and we are no longer providing support or product updates via this site. All queries should be directed through our website at this link:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/contact-us.html
Old 12-03-2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
We're hoping the SB23 features ban goes away in the courts very soon and we can all get back to arguing over the merits of 45ACP vs 9mm.
Now that's pretty funny....Oh man, after a crappy Monday, that was good to read.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
I think you mean 556 vs 762 or gp vs di.

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 12-03-2012, 4:49 PM

PG delete... i LMAO.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:10 PM

More ergonomic like this OP?