Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-23-2012, 5:04 PM

Default California Residency

So as alot of yall who read my posts may know by now, I was born and raised in Free America (Florida to be exact) and spent quite a while on Active Duty with the Army. After ETSing in 2009, I lived back in Florida for a few months before my Girlfriend moved to Cali and convinced me to come with her. Anyway, I have been here for just over 2 years now, and I have been going to graduate school at CSU-Long Beach on the GI Bill, but paying out of state tuition out of pocket. This is really pissing me off, as I have lived here for so long, and even own a home in California. Every time I apply for residency, it gets denied for some reason or another (mainly so this broke *** state can get more money out of me, justice be damned) This last time it was because when I left the Army I lived with my mother for more than a period of 2 months, and she lived out of state... they say that I cannot have lived with my parents in the past THREE years in order to be an in state resident... never mind that I have lived here for two years, own a home, have a Cali ID, a Cali registered car, and vote in California.

The kicker though, is that I have been in the California National Guard for the past year. The school acts like they don't know WTF that even means, and have asked me for orders bringing me to the state (like I would have for active duty) - my question, is that since I raised my right hand and swore allegience to the govornor of this state in addition to the constitution, is there some regulation or executive order to give me in state residency? Is there some sort of recourse here? I am asking here because I know there are some recruiters and VA type guys around who may have links to regs or cases and the like. I know that a lot of states are offering in state tuition for illegal immigrants, but a veteran like me has to pay out of state... WTF?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2012, 8:20 PM

My girlfriend had the same problem. She had to get a residency appeal from the registrars office from her school. Show proof she has been here over a year....some bills and other stuff worked. But for you it will be easier have your commander type up a letter saying you have been here. Submit the form and you will get approved. You wont have to pay that out of state crap and I think she got reimbursed some funds....not sure. But I would do it asap. You need to talk to your school so they can hurry up and process or else you'll just be wasting your money.
Old 10-23-2012, 8:21 PM

You can bring in your enlistment contract that you did from active to guard. It shows your unit being assigned to, that will help as well
Old 10-23-2012, 9:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Does CSU-LB have a student vet's group? Most of them get setup with some sort of ombudsman or direct line to campus administration for this type of BS, or GI bill shortages on payments.
Support your resource! Become a Calguns Contributor!
Old 10-26-2012, 6:28 PM

You should be able to get a letter signed by your CO that says you are stationed here in California.

Aside from that, paying CA state taxes and voting in CA establishes residency.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

CSU website says that you have to have shown financial indepence away from out of state parents for the last 3 years. Whatever you told them about going back to FL, they took that as you not having financial independence. Good news is, that was 3 years ago, so you should get residence status. Otherwise, maybe you could provide additional information on those circumstances justifying your trip home (ie: vacation, parents had medical emergency, etc) and show your California Tax Returns proving you had an income and financial independence.

That 3 year financial indepence thing is pretty crappy though.

CSULB website says:
To be eligible as a resident you must be able to demonstrate your physical presence in California, show intent to make California your permanent home, and maintain proper immigration status for at least one year prior to September 20 for a fall semester, January 25 for the spring semester, and June 1 for the summer term. In addition to these requirements, one must be able to show financial independence from out of state parents, both in the current year and in the prior three years.

Link: http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollmen...ence_inst.html

Attention Marines! (and military friendly employers); I'm the new OC rep for www.marineforlife.org, looking to connect transitioning Marines to civilian opportunities; employment, education, etc. PM me if you are a Marine in need, or if you have an opportunity for military members.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 PM

OP, are you employed in California?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E__WOK View Post
OP, are you employed in California?
Yes... by the California National Guard, along with my full time job in Long Beach.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM

shouldn't owning a home in California = show intent to make California your permanent home?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM

This is a bunch of BS. This type of sh*t happens all the time to vets, Yet people advocate for an illegal to get benefits and free college. Disgusting.