Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-23-2012, 1:58 PM

Default HK 416 vs S&W M&P 15-22-

Hi everyone,

Just wondering on other folks experiences with these 2 rifles.

I'm trying to decide between these 2. Looking for Ease of use, reliability, ease of cleaning/maintenance and accuracy, and costs of "attachments"

For the most part, I know responses could be subjective but will appreciate any/all feedback.

Thanks..
Old 10-23-2012, 7:26 PM
Banned

s&w. i have not used the HK but i've heard it feels like the colt.-tin can- no offensive to anyone that owns either.
Old 10-23-2012, 7:42 PM

I have HK416 and love it. It works for me, I like the realism of having something metal rather than in plastic. Plus, because it is heavy you don't really feel hardly any recoil. Just my opinion...

"Death for no reason is Murder!" by The Smiths (Morrissey)

Last edited by SoCalSon; 10-23-2012 at 7:48 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 7:53 PM

I want one....I already have a 15-22, SR-22, and a Colt.....just haven't heard enough to pull the trigger
Old 10-23-2012, 8:29 PM

The thing I don't like about the HK416 same as the Colt M4 also made by UMAREX is that the magazine does not drop free at all, for some reason the magazine is a tight fitting going into the magwell, also it is not a standard AR, everything is different internally, it's heavy compared to M&P 15-22, but I like the reliability. by the way all Umarex guns are made of Zamak not aluminum.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Love my 15-22

Don't have a 416 so I can't comment on it.

I do have a 15-22 and love it. The bolt release, mag release, and safety are all functional and work the same as an AR. The rifle breaks apart like an AR (push two pins to separate the upper and lower and pull the charging handle to remove the "bcg") which makes for easy cleaning. Also, the trigger is an AR trigger so any trigger mods/upgrades for an AR will also work on a 15-22.

The rifle is polymer, but I have yet to have an issue. Some people complain it makes it too light, but I'm not clear why a heavier .22 is a better .22 (there is no recoil to speak of out of a .22). I've also seen some cases on the web where people have dropped the Umarex M4 and cracked the receiver because the metal they are made out of is pretty low quality.

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 10-29-2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskieShooter View Post
Don't have a 416 so I can't comment on it.

I do have a 15-22 and love it. The bolt release, mag release, and safety are all functional and work the same as an AR. The rifle breaks apart like an AR (push two pins to separate the upper and lower and pull the charging handle to remove the "bcg") which makes for easy cleaning. Also, the trigger is an AR trigger so any trigger mods/upgrades for an AR will also work on a 15-22.

The rifle is polymer, but I have yet to have an issue. Some people complain it makes it too light, but I'm not clear why a heavier .22 is a better .22 (there is no recoil to speak of out of a .22). I've also seen some cases on the web where people have dropped the Umarex M4 and cracked the receiver because the metal they are made out of is pretty low quality.

-Ruskie
^^this. fwiw, i personally love the look of the HK over the colt, s&w or sig, but upon handling one at my LGS, was struck at how cheaply the finish seemed to have been applied and actually quite concerned about how easily the finish could scratch (the rifle they had on display already had multiple scuff marks from handling). the 15-22 and sig 552 seemed to have a better fit and finish, although i haven't fired either and cannot vouch for how they shoot....if it was my money to spend, i'd save some bucks and go for either the s&w or sig!

...just hope that the stg 44 is just as well-built when it finally makes an appearance at my LGS, lol
Old 10-29-2012, 2:12 PM

I would go with the 15-22. From what I have seen with the trigger systems in the HK its a nightmare. (I don't own one though)
Son, one day you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. Then she will leave you and be with men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called Marines.
Old 10-29-2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
^^this. fwiw, i personally love the look of the HK over the colt, s&w or sig, but upon handling one at my LGS, was struck at how cheaply the finish seemed to have been applied and actually quite concerned about how easily the finish could scratch (the rifle they had on display already had multiple scuff marks from handling). the 15-22 and sig 552 seemed to have a better fit and finish, although i haven't fired either and cannot vouch for how they shoot....if it was my money to spend, i'd save some bucks and go for either the s&w or sig!

...just hope that the stg 44 is just as well-built when it finally makes an appearance at my LGS, lol
Egh. The Sig felt really crappy to me when I handled one. Honestly it felt like an airsoft toy.

What's wrong with a 10/22 and a Tapco stock?
Old 10-29-2012, 4:17 PM
short bus driver

It's a toss up.

They both have the same accuracy and reliability.

Comes down to if you want a S&W or a H&K licensed Umarex/Walther product improved version of the Colt licensed Umarex/Walther M-4 .22LR carbine.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-29-2012, 7:19 PM

I just seen the HK at Big 5 for $749.00 wtf?
Old 11-06-2012, 9:07 PM

Default Thanks for all your advice/opinions

Finally decided on the HK416 and also picked up a new Glock G19. Can't wait to go to the range and break em in this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (38.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-07-2012, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSum View Post
Finally decided on the HK416 and also picked up a new Glock G19. Can't wait to go to the range and break em in this week.
Good choice! I bought mine a couple months ago and have more than 3k rounds through it. Maybe 5 or so FTF/FTE but overall it's been an awesome rifle. I always warmup with my HK416 before busting out the AR

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Great choice. I too have the 416 with over 8k through it and maybe only a half dozen FTF/FTE. Not too shabby for a Umarex replica that does not "breakdown" like a real AR for cleaning and maintenance.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Hi guys,

I too am looking into getting a Umarex HK416. Those of you with one, did you have to get a bullet button for it? If so, any recommendations on where to purchase one?
Thanks ahead for any advice.
Old 11-29-2012, 4:49 AM

Rimfire so you shouldn't need one.
Old 11-29-2012, 6:39 AM

@kelster1574, thank you. Will the pistol version need one? If so, anyone know what kind of button will work on it?
Old 11-29-2012, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoAndolini View Post
@kelster1574, thank you. Will the pistol version need one? If so, anyone know what kind of button will work on it?
Not sure on that one.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 PM

Just got my HK out of the holding cell. Great little rifle. Two problems right out of the box though.

1. Functioning dust cover won't latch. Not critical, and apparently not a widespread issue judging by the lack of Google results on it. I'll get it in to Umarex for a warranty fix, but not before I get a few hundred rounds down range.
2. At no fault of the rifle, the Colt M4 mag I bought as an extra had a screw that was just a bit long and protruded from the other side of the mag body, which caused the mag to get jammed in the receiver. Finally got it loose and took a Dremel to the screw to get it flush with the rest of them.

Other than those two minor issues, I'm in love with it. My wife is already calling it, "The Other Woman."

Last edited by atraweek; 12-08-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSon View Post
Plus, because it is heavy you don't really feel hardly any recoil. Just my opinion...
How much recoil are you feeling from a 22LR? lol
Old 12-13-2012, 2:06 PM

I have a 15/22 and it eats everything... smooth and accurate.
I added JP springs for 9.00 and the trigger is great!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 AM

i own a 15-22 its pretty amazing how hadn't rounds and different kinds that I've ran through it and it hasn't missed a beat..its accurate and its light..which for me is a good thing as I'm not a high and mighty purist and actually understand what smith had in mind when they created an ar platform in polymer for a .22.. the round is not heavy on recoil to begin with a lighter fun makes it more mobile and a pleasure to shoot longer its been an awesome firearm for me in both reliability and performance
Old 02-19-2013, 6:07 PM

Default HK 416D - Love it

I just got the HK 416D and love it. So far, in two weeks, I've put 500 rounds through it. Blazer and Federal. No misfires, misfeeds, just clean shooting. Field stripping and cleaning is easy. I really like the feel of the trigger. A little stiff for my buddy (he has a M&P 15-22) but I prefer it then to his. The HK was $60 more then the 15-22 here in Cal.
What I like most is the feel. There is just enough heft that it feels good. The 15-22 is pretty light in comparison.
Now to get a good scope and light system. It feels like the HK will be around for awhile with me as my plinker!