Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-24-2012, 7:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Reloading 7.62 x 39

So I have been trying to find range friendly (brass), inexpensive, 7.62x39 ammo and have had no luck. I use the Yugo M67, but am running low. Plan B was to reload it and when I add up the brass, primers, powder, and bullets it's more than I wanted too (~ $0.50 / round). Does anyone reload this and if so any tips on where I can buy the bullets and brass for less?
Old 11-24-2012, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep, I do, for my x39 AR.
I've gradually built up a supply of about 3K pieces x39 brass by buying once-fired off this board as well as Gunbroker. It's out there.
I watch Grafs, Midway USA and other sources for sales on blem and bulk FMJ bullets for AK/SKS rounds and VMAX/ZMAX for the AR.
Same for powder (now exclusively Accurate 1680) and primers (usually Wolf LR and SR). I also buy powder in 8lb jugs, with the savings usually about covering the hazmat fee.
Note that the Berry's RN bullets are pretty cheap, but I've had feeding issues in AKs and my AR. The SKSs have no issue at all.
Once you have supply of brass, you should be able to reload for less than .30 a round.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams

Last edited by Full Clip; 11-24-2012 at 7:58 PM..
Old 11-24-2012, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the tips! What is a good price for the brass and bullets?
Old 11-24-2012, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

Finding 7.62x39 Boxer primed brass is kinda tough. I'd suggest buying the Fiocchi or Prvi Partizan 7.62x39 ammo in bulk. The brass is good, and the rounds are just a touch above 50c/round.

The cheapest bullets are the ones you cast yourself, if that's an option in your case. Barring that, you might want to look for 100 to 110gr bullets for the .32 S&W/S&W Long/H&R Magnum cartridges. They are typically 0.314" and would probably work great in an AK's action. They most certainly work well in a Mosin, but that's a bolt gun.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-24-2012, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

7.62x39 for an AK, I suggest just steel case Wolf or Tul or something of that sort.

I bulked up on 123gr FMJ for $.22/round Wolf including tax at a gun show (Crossroads of the West).

When I start reloading, I probably won't for this. Just .223/5.56, 9mm, 38special and 357mag loading for me.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumoba View Post
7.62x39 for an AK, I suggest just steel case Wolf or Tul or something of that sort.
OP's looking for range friendly non-magnetic.

I posted this link in C&R. Demilled steel case with non-magnetic copper/lead bullet

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplu...-ammo-read-des

I ordered a case, should get it during the week. Should be OK in the SKS's.

Cant wait for the ammo nazis at Angeles to swarm me and try to make the magnet stick to the Berrys Bullet.

Also orderd 5 boxes of Privi .... going to start building up a brass supply for x39
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do they ever care about the case?
Old 11-25-2012, 1:41 PM

Good lookin out on the non mag! I'm going to buy some. looks good enough for range plinking. Who knows when or if we'll get more yugo surplus or?
Old 11-26-2012, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

To give you an idea how cheap ammo used to be; I bought some Lapua 7.62x39, brass cased, boxer primed, 30 per box, I think about $5 a box. I thought I only had 4 boxes but rummaging thru the stash I realized I had 10 boxes. Found 60 rounds of Winchester at the same time, also brass and boxer. Current Graf's catalog has the Lapua at $36.39 per 30 and the Winchester is $16.59 for 20. I'll never use this, don't have a bolt gun and all the autoloaders fling the brass so I'd lose half of it the first time I fired it. This was '95.

Last edited by klewan; 11-26-2012 at 7:53 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

That's what brass catchers are for.

If I'm seriously going to reload 7.62x39, it's going to be for a CZ 527 bolt gun like what Hickok45 demo'ed a while back. An AK's chambers are generous, which is part of why it's so dang reliable, so when you full-length resize that brass, you're working it extra. Don't expect to get a bunch of reuses out of brass used in an AK.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-27-2012, 8:33 PM

I priced brass, it was cheaper just to buy the brass ammo and save the cases where I looked fwiw