Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 10-29-2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robearo2 View Post
Well the reason the analogy is kind of valid is because oaktree has a separate restaurant and gun store. The gun store is where they sell the banned ammo. Though the boundary between range store, and gun store, in this instance is a little hazy.

I don't know if they actually enforce the magnetic ammo ban though. Maybe this is what she had to tell me through email. I dunno. Maybe I should get a livingsocial coupon and check it out in person lolf[/url]
If I understood correctly from one of the posters above, it seems they were selling the bi-metal ammo from the check-in office that is attached to the rifle range. If that's truly the case, then what the heck? The pro-shop is also the check-in area for the pistol range, which also doubles for check-in for the 65 yard rifle bay, AND the rifle range at the other end of the facility. Can you just imagine buying a large amount of ammo for your gun, walking up to the firing line, and then be told you can't shoot it? I plan to go there tomorrow to shoot and I'll see if I can get some more definitive answers.

Even though the whole "banned" ammo thing is becoming an interesting situation, I still love Oak Tree. Their staff have always been friendly, helpful even, and the facility is extremely nice. It's also just a few miles from my house, and that certainly is a huge plus.
Old 10-29-2012, 7:05 PM

Hi Folks,

I would be interested in buyins this 2 for 1 membership deal for the pistol and rifle range and if anyone wants to go half with me as well, please pm me.

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2012, 3:04 PM

Default email from oaktree about wolf ammo

Thank you for your inquiry about our new rifle services.

Our new Canyon Rifle Range is 100 yards, and is located at the furthest left end of our property (past the skeet fields). This range is open Wednesday - Sunday (during our regular hours - including evenings).

The daily price for this range is $20 (and it includes use of the entire pistol facility) for the entire day. If you are a Pistol Range member, your admission is included, so you just need to show your card upon check-in.

To answer your questions about ammo (steel core, bi-metal jacketed, etc.), we no longer allow any ammunition that would not pass a magnetic test. This is the case for all customers, at all locations on our property.

At one point, we would allow this type of ammo to be shot at our Pistol Bay#1 - because very few customers shot this type of ammo, and the range is located very close to our water truck and fire hydrant (so we would be able to extinguish a fire quickly if one were to occur).

Our new Canyon Range is in a remote area of the property, and if a fire were to occur it could be a potential disaster.

Any steel component (regardless of the core component) could cause a fire, so we have elected to prohibit use of all steel ammo (steel core, bi-metal, etc.).

I currently do not know of any local ranges that allow steel ammo, but if you know of a place, please let me know so that we can refer our customers.

We do sell ammo with steel components, even though we do not allow it to be shot at our facility. We have considered removing this merchandise from our store, however have decided not to because some customers do purchase this to shoot elsewhere.

I appreciate you sending this inquiry so that we are able to address your concerns directly. We value all of our customers opinions and work hard to provide the best shooting experience, but unfortunately we have restrictions that we have to implement in order to keep the facililty safe (in this case - free from fire hazards).

If I can assist you with any other questions you may have, please contact me directly (661) 373-4658.

Sincerely,

Betsy James
Old 11-02-2012, 4:27 PM

I'll be there for their BF sale, although I won't be buying a membership as I already have one. But as for the steel core issue, I've had one time where I brought a buddy with Wolf ammo and the RSO didn't bother us. The next time I asked about shooting it as I checked in, but they then told me I couldn't...even though it was raining and has been raining for the past day.

It is a bit of a bummer, but I can understand their concerns. I just wish they did the same thing as Burro though.
Old 11-02-2012, 5:08 PM

I'm actually impressed by that reply. Too bad it wasn't the answer we were looking for.

Also pretty funny considering I was shooting Golden Tiger at Pistol Bay #1 last weekend. Like I said before, there goes all incentive to choose Oaktree over Angeles.
Old 11-02-2012, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
The rifle range is 100 yards max.

They will check your ammo if it looks different with a magnet.

The shotgun range is not included in the $250 for 2 sale.

These memberships are limited.

Any other questions?
correct about the rifle ammo, they dont like steel core there. you pay for rounds at the shotgun range, 25+ birds per round. shotgun rentals are free with this membership and the rounds are discounted. ive been a member for a few years now and have used all of the facilities under my pistol range membership. it has the most benefits compared to the shotgun membership and is the one being offered for 2 for 1
Old 11-03-2012, 8:59 AM

Count me in for the BF 2 for 1 sale. Looking for someone to go halfsies with me. Pm if your interested.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Hi,

Thank you to those who were in touch back with me. Many of us want to get this 2 for 1 deal, though, some are not sure if they can make it on Black Friday or not. To those of you who I have communicated with and those who have communicated with me, you have my phone number for the morning of.

I think what we should do is exchange phone numbers before Black Friday and all meet, as to see who will be buying this 2 for 1 deal, and if there is an even number, as opposed to an odd number. This way we can organize it well and get it done, leaving nobody out.

Just a thought and Happy Thanksgiving to all in advance.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Bump
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Default ok need new guy to go with,my other guy flaked out

i need a solid person that wants the pistol /rifle package to split
please pm me and we can go from there.

i re-Pm'ed all the guys that asked me after i thought i had someone to go with

mike
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Here is the official Black Friday post from their Facebook page

Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 AM

still need someone
Quote:
Originally Posted by el tardo View Post
i need a solid person that wants the pistol /rifle package to split
please pm me and we can go from there.

i re-Pm'ed all the guys that asked me after i thought i had someone to go with

mike
Old 11-07-2012, 4:27 PM

so i still need someone to split this deal with. pm me if you want a membership for $125.00 for the year.its a great deal.
Old 11-08-2012, 2:28 PM

El Tardo,

We're with you, not to worry. Spoke with the others and we're with you and you're with us. All good, even if it's an odd number. It will be cool.
Old 11-11-2012, 1:35 PM

I did this last year and I didn't need the 2nd person with me at the time of purchase, as it was to be a Christmas gift (the membership starts running on the date of purchase so he kind of got screwed out of one month, just something to think about if you are planning on waiting until Christmas to give the membership to a second person). I just gave them as much info on him as I had and then he went in after Christmas and finished filling out the paperwork and signed the release.

Anyways, I'd love to do this deal again if you guys need one more.
Old 11-12-2012, 9:44 AM

Regarding the bi-metal & steel core issue at Oak Tree:

I've been a member there for three years, and until they opened their new rifle range it was never an issue. In fact they rented SKS and AK rifles and REQUIRED that you use their ammo, which was Tula bi-metal. They allowed any ammunition on the rifle range which was only open on Friday evenings, and likewise on Bay #1 (and for pistols on Bay 2 & 3, although of course not on the steel range).

When I last went I wanted to shoot my CZ-82 with Silver Bear, which is a bi-metal jacket. They told me I couldn't, as "anything magnetic is now banned."

I went inside and spoke to Brian about it, and he had all sorts of excuses.

First, that the new rifle range isn't safe for bi-metal as the foliage surrounding it makes it more of a fire hazard. I said, fine, how about Bay 1? He said then that, oh no, people were shooting up the target stands too much. I mentioned that they rented their rifles with Tula ammo, and he said that they had a bunch of it and wanted to sell it, and when they ran out they weren't going to do that anymore. So, I said, it was okay when you were making a profit off of it but now that you see you can make more selling different ammo you're going to take advantage of it, eh?

He also had some excuse about steel cases being a problem for their reloaders, which is horsepucky since a magnet drags all the steel cases out of the bunch easily. He admitted that was true, but that they didn't like to bother. Huh? They are profiting off of the spent brass cases, which is the long and short of it.

I found the variety of excuses disingenuous. I can live with the new rule on the new range. What I can't live with is changing the rules only a month after I'd renewed my membership (at full price, along with my wife's). I told Brian that the reason I went to Oak Tree, rather than Angeles which has a much longer and frankly nicer rifle range, was that they weren't so restrictive. I also told him that I wasn't the only one.

I am debating asking for a refund of my membership, as I am just not happy about their change of policy and their nonsense excuses for it. I'm even less happy that I would be forced to purchase much more expensive ammunition for my AK, SKS, Mosin, CZ, Tokarev, Mauser, etc. etc. etc.

$125 for a membership is a good deal, but you'll pay the difference in ammo prices.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM

BruinGuy -

Excellent update and thank you for bringing up every one of our concerns/issues to them in person.
Old 11-13-2012, 2:05 PM

I definitely won't be buying a membership and may not even go there anymore. The only reason I drove that far - sometimes up to 3 times a week - was due to them letting me shoot russian/magnetic ammo.

Hope they re-think their policy change.
Old 11-13-2012, 2:33 PM

Bummer I went to oak tree three times and shot my saiga 7.62x39 with bi metal ammo. I think if I go shooting this weekend I will check out Angeles range. It sucks that I was able to shoot my saiga for .25 to .30 cents a round and now I have to pay double that. At least at Angeles I can shoot longer range.
Old 11-19-2012, 3:57 AM

Just came back from oak tree no one did anything to me
Old 11-19-2012, 6:18 AM

After reading all the post here I'm still not sure if I need to get with someone to do the deal or not.
To be on the safe side I would like to hear from someone that would like to do the deal with me on B F. and join Oak Tree.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1986 View Post
Just came back from oak tree no one did anything to me
What time were you there and which part of Oak Tree? So you shot magnetic and weren't hassled?
Old 11-19-2012, 1:12 PM

They dont actively check ammo - I've shot Steel Case as well, but as soon as they noticed they asked us to put it away.

Since this is a "new" policy I'm sure there still trying to figure out how to enforce it.
Old 11-21-2012, 5:34 AM

looking for someone to go half on membership. this will be my fourth membership and ive always paid full price so theres no way i can pass this deal up. pm if interested, thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 7:43 PM

Had a great morning at Oaktree today. Met a few members. Got my membership but unfortunately after the long wait at the gun shop, they were out of all the for sale rentals I had on my wish list.
Old 11-24-2012, 1:24 PM
CGN Contributor

Did anyone get to buy the second one with no one in mind to give it (sell it) to? I might be interested, I was working a 24 yesterday and couldn't make it to the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld View Post
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
Priceless
Old 11-24-2012, 1:57 PM

According to their Black Friday flier, the 2 for 1 membership sale is going on all weekend, until 250 are sold. I have no idea how many have been sold yet, though.
Old 11-24-2012, 2:33 PM

I got a half price membership this AM. Also, they were rain checking those spikes lowers (sold out yesterday) at the same price though unknown ETA.
Old 11-24-2012, 5:06 PM

As of 4 pm today they said on Facebook they still have plenty of 2 for 1 memberships left. If anyone still wants to go in half on a pistol range membership let me know, I live pretty close and would be happy to meet you there.
Old 11-24-2012, 8:03 PM

Looks like these memberships are not selling as fast as they used to in previous years.
Old 11-24-2012, 8:58 PM

me and other members where there is was busy and the membership line was long. imo i think they are selling more then the 250 memberships they listed.the membership line had people in it all morning

was just there today shooting and rifle range was packed
Old 11-24-2012, 9:15 PM

I was there this morning - first time as a guest of a member. Very nice facilities. it was VERY CROWDED. We ended up shooting the steel targets, and I was asked to not use my CCI blazer ammo (aluminum casing). The wife dominated the USP 40 so i had to make due with the High Standard supermatic.

It was a fun day at a nice range.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najay View Post
I was there this morning - first time as a guest of a member. Very nice facilities. it was VERY CROWDED. We ended up shooting the steel targets, and I was asked to not use my CCI blazer ammo (aluminum casing). The wife dominated the USP 40 so i had to make due with the High Standard supermatic.

It was a fun day at a nice range.
Was the bullet in them CCI ammo magnetic?
Old 11-25-2012, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
Was the bullet in them CCI ammo magnetic?
Did I forget to mention that they also don't allow aluminum or steel cased ammunition, because the reloader they sell the spent brass to is apparently too lazy to sort it out?

Yep, Oak Tree has really jumped the shark with their ammunition rules...
Old 11-25-2012, 8:24 PM

amazing eh! used to go when I lived in LA years ago....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post

“Everyone’s worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there’s really an easy way: Stop participating in it.”
Old 11-25-2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Did I forget to mention that they also don't allow aluminum or steel cased ammunition, because the reloader they sell the spent brass to is apparently too lazy to sort it out?

That's just complete and utter BS.