Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-19-2012, 1:03 PM

Default Tula primers

Whats the difference between small rifle and 223-when it comes to the Tula primers? They list both-

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 1:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorra65 View Post
Whats the difference between small rifle and 223-when it comes to the Tula primers? They list both-

Thanks
It's possible that the 223 specific primers have a harder cup for use in semi autos.
For example, CCI sells a "military" large rifle primer with a harder cup than the normal large rifle primers.

This would make sense for 223 too since AR's have floating firing pins that tap the primer during chambering.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 11-19-2012, 1:56 PM

Makes sense, thanks.
Old 11-19-2012, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

According to a guy I know who deals in Tulammo primers, there are three levels of brisance: standard, magnum, and "223". The standard and magnum rifle primers are what you'd expect. The "223" edition is just an eensy-weensy bit hotter than "magnum" for that extra assurance lighting up the ball powders typically used with .223/5.56. However, the primer cup between the "magnum" and "223" primers is the same hardness.

He also told me that for those using, say, H335 in normal .223 loads, the standard rifle primer is quite sufficient.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-19-2012, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For those that didn't know, brissance is the measurement of energy released from the primer.
Rifle powders are harder to light so rifle primers have more brissance than pistol primers...

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:47 PM

fwiw I read the latest tula primer is for use in h335 thats had problems igniting. sr223 I think?
Old 11-20-2012, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

I've read that Wolf and Tula are the same, came out of the same factory. I've looked for the Tula version of this, never found one.

This is from Widener's;

"Wolf small rifle primers are now available in types.

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer. Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223. This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass or copper colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite."
Old 11-20-2012, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, Wolf and Tulammo primers are the same, made on the same assembly line in Murom, Russia. They even come in the same box if you get the 5,000-count case. What is different is the brand name listed on the 1,000-count boxes.

IIRC, Tulammo SRP's (non-magnums) now use a brass cup instead of a copper one, just like the rest of them. I'll have to take a look again when I get a chance, to verify this, but the Wolf "normal" SRP's are definitely copper-cup. They look kinda cool, actually, with that reddish-orange contrasting nicely with the yellow or nickel-plated brass of the .454 Casull round. :-)
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-20-2012, 9:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
I've read that Wolf and Tula are the same, came out of the same factory. I've looked for the Tula version of this, never found one.
Wolf is a brand, not a manufacturer.
Wolf purchases all of its products from manufacturers like the Tula arsenal (russia) or privi partisan (serbia) and has those manufacturers private label the products.
If you went over to Europe and looked for a Manufacturing facility that says "wolf ammunition" on the outside of the building, you are not gonna find it.
All they have is warehouses...

Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

What is the failure rate of these wolf/Tula(/Non-american) brands compared to the ones made here?
Old 11-20-2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
What is the failure rate of these wolf/Tula(/Non-american) brands compared to the ones made here?
I used the Tula SP and SR by the thousands in my Glock and my 223 Rem rifle without a single FTF not caused by me (primer flipped and was not caught) I do find thay require a little more effort to seat than CCI or Winchester.
Old 11-20-2012, 4:33 PM

From what I've read, they're about as good as any others. I heard to keep an eye out for the anvil properly seated/missing but I guess that would go for any primer.
Old 11-21-2012, 3:49 AM
Calguns Addict

WOW I just looked and I can see why people are looking at these primers...

CCI/Winchester/Federal=$125/5000 brick (last I paid for SM pistol and SM rifle)
Wolf=$70/5000 brick

That is a hell of a savings. I will probably give these a try when I start running low (assuming the zombies don't come Dec 2012 )...

I did have issues with Federal flipping on the flip tray when shaking and when seating, so I assume these would be about the same caliber of error/issue (minimal)...

Last edited by the86d; 11-21-2012 at 3:52 AM..
Old 11-21-2012, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Wolf is a brand, not a manufacturer.
Wolf purchases all of its products from manufacturers like the Tula arsenal (russia) or privi partisan (serbia) and has those manufacturers private label the products.
If you went over to Europe and looked for a Manufacturing facility that says "wolf ammunition" on the outside of the building, you are not gonna find it.
All they have is warehouses...
In all the discussions about Wolf/Tula I've never seen anyone mention that Wolf is just the marketing arm of Tula. I saw something about a lawsuit regarding Wolf not being able to sell ammo in the US. Is that Tula trying to get the rights back?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
In all the discussions about Wolf/Tula I've never seen anyone mention that Wolf is just the marketing arm of Tula. I saw something about a lawsuit regarding Wolf not being able to sell ammo in the US. Is that Tula trying to get the rights back?
Wolf is not the marketing arm of Tula.
they are a company.
They buy from Tula arsenal.
They also buy from privi partisan.
They also buy from lapua.

Old 11-21-2012, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've fired thousands so far, both small and large pistol. No FTF's yet. Ivan's doin' a good job, and I love it.

In 2008-9, there was a bad run of small pistol primers under the Wolf brand. It affected only the SPP's, not the LPP's or any of the rifle primers. The Murom factory fixed this post-haste, but the Wolf brand did get a bit damaged from that episode ("cheap Russian crap"). Funny that Winchester didn't get labeled "crap" after their bad run of white-box 9mm earlier this year, though. Just sayin'....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=266648

Quote:
WOW I just looked and I can see why people are looking at these primers...

CCI/Winchester/Federal=$125/5000 brick (last I paid for SM pistol and SM rifle)
Wolf=$70/5000 brick

That is a hell of a savings. I will probably give these a try when I start running low (assuming the zombies don't come Dec 2012 )...
Tell me about it. That's why I started using 'em, too. The Tulammo-branded ones aren't quite as inexpensive, but they're still a good deal over CCI/Win/Fed.

Quote:
I did have issues with Federal flipping on the flip tray when shaking and when seating, so I assume these would be about the same caliber of error/issue (minimal)...
I use Lee's Auto-Prime tray, and they've behaved that way just like any other primers. The nickel-plated ones are more "slippery" down the chute than the yellow brass ones. But they all go bang just fine.
Old 11-21-2012, 4:03 PM

In terms of reliability, I have gone through 1000 Small Rifle from Tula and have yet to have a misfire in either my 300 blackout/223 (very light springs 3pd trigger) or my 357 rifle.

They are good to go as far as I am concerned and ordered a bunch more.