Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Default Fall project completed. Shorty .308

The weather started getting ugly a few weeks ago when I started my project. It took a few months of reading about others projects and finding the right tooling for the job. It started last winter when I won a Weatherby Vanguard at our local NRA benefit dinner. It's a $400 rifle so i figured it would be a great way to test and further my knowledge about gunsmithing as a hobby. I'm very rural and the closest gunsmith is a 2 hour drive from my home. Plus the last time he did some work, he installed a muzzle break that wasn't in line with the bore. The bullet would barely strike the comp upon exit. Not acceptable.

Parts used:

Badger 20 moa rail
CDI Precision trigger guard DBM
Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
B&C Medalist stock
Manson Tooling for barrel cutting and finishing
Barrel channel cutter

Here's a stock picture of the exact rifle.

First step was to get the stock ready. Free floating the barrel channel was a breeze. I only had to remove a small amount of material as the rifle barrel has a Thinner profile.

Next came the inletting for the action and DBM. I used a mill for the DBM inletting and a hand dremmel to get the stock ready for glass bedding. This is after the bedding job was completed.

As you can see I needed to spend a bit more time on the mill as my inletting job for the DBM needs some practice.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!

Last edited by skkeeter; 11-20-2012 at 5:26 PM..