Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Default Which 9mm for the Wife?

Which would you prefer to shoot Sig P239 or a Glock 19? The sig would be a used gun purchase while the glock would be new. My wife is not an avid shooter but understands the importance of learning and being competent to shoot.

This gun would probably be shot maybe 2-3 times a year. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM

First of all, I'm not a female but I was in the same predicament a while ago, choosing a gun for my wife.

1. Let your wife handle the gun, rack the slide, and just feel it over all. If it is possible let her fire it. She alone can tell you if she's comfortable with it or not. I made a mistake of buying a Glock 26 with out bringing her. She had a hard time racking the slide and she's limp wristing it resulting in FTEs. Then I traded the 26 to a 19, there was an improvement but it still happens. I gave up and got her an all metal gun.

2. Why only shoot 2-3 times a year?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM

My wife limps her glock 19 as well. I think you might even consider a 22.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Take her to a range with rentals. Let her pick what she is comfortable with. I started my wife with a Taurus PT-22 but she ended up with my G19:-( She has not tried my CZ-75 yet, thank God!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM

range first

glock 19
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM

My wife prefers the p85 over the g17.... The ruger is heavier, less recoil...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM

The one SHE chooses...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkLover View Post
Which would you prefer to shoot Sig P239 or a Glock 19? The sig would be a used gun purchase while the glock would be new. My wife is not an avid shooter but understands the importance of learning and being competent to shoot.

This gun would probably be shot maybe 2-3 times a year. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Has she considered a revolver?

3 times a year is insufficient time to expertly learn a semi-auto pistol.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM

So the overwhelming response is to let her try some out and let her decide, so you got that message right?

Otherwise the below information is often true. men often think women want a light polymer pistol. In reality, women often enjoy shooting heavier pistols as they absorb recoil energy. My wife hates my GLOCK, hates it... She loves my mil-spec 1911, and really loves my single action 7.5" barrel 45 colt revolvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckline73 View Post
My wife prefers the p85 over the g17.... The ruger is heavier, less recoil...

On another note, I still don't get all the limp wrist/grip claims. IMO a good gun should go bang when the trigger is pulled, period.
Old 11-14-2012, 1:25 PM

Which is the best one? The one SHE picks. Not what you think she might like. She may surprise you.
Old 11-14-2012, 2:10 PM

+1 on the heavier guns, that's what I went with after advice from some family because I was having issue with the recoil on polymer.
Old 11-14-2012, 2:22 PM

I'm actually passing on my Sig P239 9 to my son and picking up the P239 in 40. I like the gun, but I have found that the one I carry more often is my XD9.
Old 11-14-2012, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Whichever one SHE wants, and tell her not to get the cheaper one because you are paying. If you do you might end up buying her a SR-9, AND an M9/92FS...

DON'T ask how I know...
Old 11-14-2012, 2:54 PM

My wife doesn't like to shoot, nor does she want to spend the time going to a range and having to fire different guns in 9mm. She agreed to learn how to shoot and be competent. She has made it clear that she is doing so only to satisfy my concern so that I know that she can take care of herself in the event that I can't. Having said this, she wants me to do the research and get her one that she will be able to "handle."

From reading your responses, I guess I should now ask the women shooters; Which do you prefer to shoot, polymer or "heavier" guns in 9mm?
Old 11-14-2012, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

G19 FTW
Old 11-14-2012, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Check out the M&P 9. With changeable back straps it will fit more hands. My wife hated most of my semi autos until she tried te M&P.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 11-14-2012, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

My lady REALLY likes her SR-9. It fits her hand better than the M9.

Smaller hands... and all.
Old 11-14-2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

John
Honestly I don't see how she is going to be competent only shooting 2-3 times per year . You may want to re-think buying her a handgun .....
Old 11-14-2012, 3:51 PM

My girlfriend trained on my Kel-tec PF9 as it fit her hand better than those mentioned above. I was shocked because she shot the PF-9 better than my CZ-75B or my Sig 229. Just another option for consideration.
Old 11-14-2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becxltoo984 View Post
Honestly I don't see how she is going to be competent only shooting 2-3 times per year . You may want to re-think buying her a handgun .....
Maybe "competent" is a poor choice of words on my part. But 2-3 times a year for her would be better than zero.
Old 11-14-2012, 4:27 PM

My wife didnt mind shooting my G19, but she had grip issues. She tried a CZ-P01 and fell in love. So I bought her one and she couldn't be happier. It fits her hand well, its all metal so it soaks up recoil well.
She loves it. I recommend it for your wife to try too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-14-2012, 4:32 PM

Well, I like the Glock 19, so I am no help. Easy to shoot, fits my hand and easy to clean. Racking it takes some practice and time. I really love it.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 11-14-2012, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

My wife loves her Glocks!

Glock 23, 19,17 and 22.... Now she is eyeing on my SJC open Glock race gun in 9 major for IPSC competition shooting.....lol

But to answer your question, I would go with Glock 17 or the Glock 19 for her.

Last edited by Mstnpete; 11-14-2012 at 4:39 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
Which is the best one? The one SHE picks. Not what you think she might like. She may surprise you.
This, I took my wife to several gun shops to get her to handle a variety of guns to see what fit her best. I even made her try out some of the "ugly ones" in case it fit her hand right. Now she has narrowed it down to two, and has shot one of the two. Some CalGunners are being gracious enough to meet with us later this month to let her test fire one that we cannot find to rent.
Old 11-14-2012, 5:53 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
My wife doesn't like to shoot, nor does she want to spend the time going to a range and having to fire different guns in 9mm. She agreed to learn how to shoot and be competent. She has made it clear that she is doing so only to satisfy my concern so that I know that she can take care of herself in the event that I can't. Having said this, she wants me to do the research and get her one that she will be able to "handle."

From reading your responses, I guess I should now ask the women shooters; Which do you prefer to shoot, polymer or "heavier" guns in 9mm?

there is absolutely no way you can do this. your hand is different. if she is only doing this to satisfy you, then please make sure she understands that in order to do that she will need to handle and shoot them to make sure they fit her.

i will not own a polymer in any thing whether semi or revolver. i want metal. i want to feel the heft. i want the recoil not to kill my hand. additionally, until i had shot many pistols, i would not buy a handgun i had not personally fired prior to the purchase. i can do that now....but not in the beginning.

perhaps you should take a deep breath and step back. if this is not something she wants to do but is only doing it to satisfy you [get you to quit nagging her?] then its not right for her. never will be. is she going to get her HGC? she really does need to do this which means she needs to be more involved. if she's not willing or wanting to do that, its time to step back until she comes to you and says she's willing to be involved.

another idea: a range date. a compromise situation. you agree to see a movie she wants to see, go to a particular restaurant, horror of all horrors to go shopping with her, visit her parents, whatever and she agrees to go to a range with you. she might actually enjoy it.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-14-2012, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

My wife doesn't like the size of the grip on my sigs or glocks, but at the range I had a her try an M&P full size 9mm which she liked... so I bought one last week.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
She has made it clear that she is doing so only to satisfy my concern so that I know that she can take care of herself in the event that I can't. Having said this, she wants me to do the research and get her one that she will be able to "handle."
Maybe its just not my turn to give a f**k , but this post concerns me. It appears she is agreeing to this idea just to hush you up about it. You can no more pick the 'right gun" for her than you can for me or anyone else.

SHE must be the one involved and initiating the process. I understand where you are coming from on this, but you cannot force your lady to take up arms for her defense. She also cannot be doing this out of a sense of obligation to you , because if it is once you take home this gun its going into a drawer never to be shot again. Should the flag fly and you're not around, all that weapon will be is a liability.

IMO, some soul searching is in order for you and her before this endeavor should be continued. Your woman is better off unarmed than equipped with a gun she's not the least bit interested in shooting or owning.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 11-14-2012, 6:08 PM

If this whole thing is an issue of home defense, she needs a shotgun, not a handgun. The learning curve is much shorter, and the accuracy level is much less. If she wants to carry, that's a whole different question. In either case, she needs to search her soul, on whether or not she is willing to kill another human, because that's what home defense is all about.

How did you arrive at 9mm? Are all your other personal guns 9mm? Or did you just decide that was all she could handle? If you just decided that, how did you make that decision? Or has she shot your own 9mm's and liked them?

As we've said before, she needs to go to a handgun safety class before anything else. Then to the gun shop to handle everything they'll give her, and she picks her top 3, all based on hand fit. From there to the range where she rents her top three and her top three from your collection.

THEN, when she figures out which she likes best, which mainly has to do with what fits her hand, she can make a choice.

During this whole process, you should be somewhere else, not micromanaging her decision. If she's not motivated enough to do this on her own, she is not safe with a handgun, and we are praying that there won't be a tragedy.

We get asked this question about once a week, and we're still willing to answer. But I swear I'm going to flowchart this process and get Kestryll to post it with the other flowcharts for getting an AR, etc.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 11-14-2012 at 6:12 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 6:21 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

also, what fit my hand in the shop did not necessarily fit my hand when i fired the thing! i don't even care if she takes a safety class: she must get her HGC!

but i will say this: if you buy her a gun and she does fire it and it hurts her hand or she doesn't like it, there is no way you'll get her to a range again.

you want her to want to do this. you want it to be a pleasant experience. and this is where the safety/instruction class comes in: it removes you from the equation which means she can concentrate on herself and what she wants. she isn't going to be reacting to you. given what you've said, there is no way this is going to succeed if you are her "instructor". she already resents having to do this. don't end up damaging your relationship for your own need. until this is her need, i hope you back off. the best you can do is ask her what her plan is in different scenarios. ultimately, it is her decision.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-14-2012, 8:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Why buy her a new gun? Why not just make sure she knows how to properly and safely handle ALL of the ones already in the home?

What does 'something she can handle' even mean?
I have a friend that is a 5'4" 50+yo lady who owns a 44 Desert Eagle and another male friend that's 6'3" and prefers a 9mm pocket pistol.

I get rather frustrated with the whole 'what can [insert female here] best handle' questions because I believe that anyone regardless of gender can 'handle' any handgun safely and effectivly for defense as long as they are comfortable/confident with the weapon (given there's no debilitating issues like injuries or handicaps).
Now if the person is going to be shooting even simi-regularly then yes that person should pick based on weight/size/kick/etc.

If this is just about learning how to safely handle a firearm incase a defense situation is warrented, just get her to become comfortable/confident with the guns already in the home.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 11-14-2012, 8:19 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Why buy her a new gun? Why not just make sure she knows how to properly and safely handle ALL of the ones already in the home?........
good questions, kali.......and point well made.

Gun Control:
Old 11-14-2012, 8:27 PM

My experience, women who only shoot that much overwhelmingly prefer a wheel gun, like a smith 686 with a 4 inch barrel
"I love it, its my second ammendment but we with the gun was the only thing between those guys and the oven and they still can't know this theys too dumb and I seen the ovens. They dont know it but they cant take all the guns and if ever, push ever comes to shove we'll be back." - Don Burgett
Old 11-15-2012, 6:32 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

a revolver is simple to understand how to use and easy to clean.
however, i have small hands and anything larger than a smith k frame is too big for my hand. the 686 is a great revolver for those with larger hands.
the ruger sp101 is smaller than a k frame and larger than a j frame smith...it is a good revolver and perhaps a good fit for the smaller hand. me? i went with a smith model 60 j-frame as my first purchase....all metal, of course. then i got addicted!

Gun Control:
Old 11-15-2012, 6:50 AM

Thanks to all of you for your replies, I asked my wife to read all of your responses. To answer your questions, she does know how to handle all of my firearms in a safe manor and if need be, how they should be discharged. She asked me to research for her what type of 9mm is preferred by women. After reading some of your responses, she understand that she needs to pick out the one that is comfortable for her. Hence, we are going back to the range this weekend. Once she finds a firearm that she is comfortable with she will take a firearms course designed for women. I told her teaching a wife to shoot is like teaching her how to golf....you don't. When she wanted to learn how to golf, I got her lessons from a golf pro.....

Thanks again for your responses.....
Old 11-15-2012, 9:28 AM

Well done! You'll should be happy with the process and the results.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

congrats, Pork! you kept an open mind and more importantly so did she!
and you have a range date already!
would you please keep us posted re progress, especially what she ends up with?
its good for such feedback to be posted here for the next guy looking for a gun for his gal......actually, i think your post should be mandatory for all men that do post here with the question!

Gun Control:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Take you wife out to brunch then take her to the gun shop[s] and let her pick out the one she likes. Do you ask what shoes shall I buy my wife?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Having said this, she wants me to do the research and get her one that she will be able to "handle."
Wanted to chime in to add to this: it has been my experience that women need to pay attention to, and get a solid grounding in, the fundamentals of shooting to a higher degree than men might need to. Men, on average, have more upper body strength than women, and so can overcome poor stance or grip with sheer muscle power. A guy might be able to shoot a .44 magnum and use his upper body muscle to compensate for a slightly off-balance stance; if a woman tries the same thing, the gun is apt to knock her on her butt. This is why I think training is so critical.

Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown

Last edited by tlcwrites; 11-19-2012 at 12:06 PM..